Skyranger verses X Air Hanuman

Cameron , I am attracted to the low cost easy build and low maintenance costs as well as the ability to operate from almost anywhere. I am also interested in a Savannah or Savage Cub. Not really after speed although a touch faster than the Gazelle might be nice.

I have some pics from the open day, they are not great I will put them on a disk or something.

cheers

Hi Octave.

I,m not sure just what the protocol is here, as being the Australian agent for Skyranger and Nynja (see Suppliers and Services forum of this site) I am biased. However let me assure you there is a lot more to the Skyranger than just a good price. The Skyranger has won more design and performance awards than any other aircraft in its class. It has not done this by accident. Your observation as to low cost easy assembly and low on going maintenance cost is correct as this was the principle aim in the original design. You can expect a cruise speed of a genuine 90+ knots from a Skyranger Swift with a 912 ULS engine. I am happy to provide any information you would like, or to refere you to other Skyranger owners but they will not be unbiased either. To fly one is to appreciate their qualities, To own one is to love them.

Regards Greg

I'm building an Xair Hanuman at the moment.There was a couple of reasons I did not like the skyranger fuel tank set up on the skyranger, Price to many extras to purchase which adds on to the price. I have flown both aircraft, my Xair has a VH registraion Sky ranger can by done the same.The xair kit goes together real easy instructions manual very clear , You get everything in the kit including wheel spats, the only exclusions are engine, prop, instruments. Personal choice thats what it all comes down too.

cheers

I don't know the X-air.

I do own the first Skyranger built in Australia have almost 600 hours in it and absolutely love it.

I spent a lot of time and effort selecting the 'right' aircraft for my needs/desires and selected the Foxbat. Then I looked at the price and went looking for a less expensive Foxbat.

I selected the Skyranger and have never looked back nor in any way regretted the decision. With the Skyranger I comfortably, and economically do 98% of what I would have done had I gone with the Foxbat and the price differential has paid for a whole lot of fuel and oil.

Price is not the only consideration, the chosen aircraft needs to meet your needs and very importantly you need to have faith in the quality of the service back up provided by the local agents and the manufacturer.

My thoughts,

biased

but informed by many happy hours of Skyranger experience

Davidh

• Caution 1

Skyranger v xair

Hi Octave.

I built a Skyranger for several reasons.

1. The local agent at the time was a fellow flying club member, so there was an element of dealing with and supporting a friend.

2. Price. Even though Rotax are not cheap.

3. Ease of construction. Straight tubing, no bending. All bolted, no welding. You wouldn't want to fly in something I welded. Simple build process, I built mine in 7 weeks. 5-6 days per week, 8-10 hrs per day.

Then, when I flew it and fell in love with it.

I am a big person, 6'2" 110kg and I fit comfortably in the plane.

It carries me and the significant other, plus a comfortable luggage allowance.

Big doors, easy to get in and out.

When trimmed, flies hands off easily.

Yes, the standard fuel set up has its foibles, but there is an alloy fuel tank option that fixes them.

Excellent short field performance.

I could go on, but you really need to find an owner and go for a fly.

Cheers,

Ding.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fellows

I have all but finished a X-Air Hanuman with stickers and paper work required for rego. I looked over a period of two years at all the kits on the market and value for money and the X-Air Hanuman came out on top. The Sky Ranger came second it is a good kit but my head hit the bar overhead and could not lower the seat enough for clearance. The Hanuman ticked all the boxes for me for I am 6ft 125 kilos and still fit. The Dealer Michael Coates was very helpful in any information that I required so a kit was ordered. Found the instrctions very basic for a new builder but help not far away in the dealership or other builders, more detailed instructions available on the net.:thumb_up:

Sky v X air

Hi Tommo,

I have a Skyranger, I am 6'2" and 110kg and I fit no problem.

Had no difficulty dropping the seat down a notch and I don't bang my head on the roof bar.

I hope you gat as much enjoyment from your X-Air as I have from my Sky.

Cheers, Ding.

• 5 months later...
I'm building an Xair Hanuman at the moment.There was a couple of reasons I did not like the skyranger fuel tank set up on the skyranger

Yes, the standard fuel set up has its foibles, but there is an alloy fuel tank option that fixes them.

What exactly is wrong with the Skyranger fuel system?

Skyranger fuel system

There is nothing "wrong" with the fuel system, its just the fillers (1 for each tank) are inside the cabin, therefore if you spill any fuel, even a drop, its in the cabin.

The US Sky people extend the fillers to on the top of the cabin (where the BRS would normally exit), but this gets in the way of the luggage hammock, so there is a trade off.

I think the alloy tank option has the filler on the outside, on one side, i'm note sure left or right. Haven't had anything to do with one, so can't make further comment, but would logically seem to be the way to go. Talk to Greg the agent for more info.

I have sold my Sky recently, and the new owner didn't see the filling as an issue.

I also made up a filler system that used a low pressure air pump to pressure a steel gerry can (with a pressure relief valve) and a hook shaped filler nozzle with an on/off valve that worked very well.

Even with the hammock fully loaded, we could still get our fill, even from a large diameter commercial unit.

Thats my 10c worth.

Ding.

• 2 years later...

Yes the Swift is available with a tail dragger kit, in fact there is no reason why the Nynja can not be configured the same way. Not having built or flown a Hanuman it is difficult for me to compare the two and I won't denigrate another aircraft just to sell one of my own. I have built and flown a Skyranger Swift and was very happy with it. In fact I don't know anyone who has built a Skyranger who was not delighted with it. I have recently sold two aircraft to people who have had X-Airs in the past they are both impressed . I am happy to talk to anyone who is considering a Skyranger or Nynja. Call me any time. www.bestoffaircraft.com.au

Greg.

Notice both a/c have a bolt together type cabin area frame. How strong is such a design compared to a traditional welded tube-steel frame?

Because welds can vary in quality, the joint strength is also variable. The beauty about well-designed bolt-together designs (or for that matter riveted designs) is that there is engineering consistency.

The Sydney Harbour Bridge is entirely riveted together. This was done for consistency of strength by the engineers of the day. Another reason is that during the depression years labour was cheap and having many people doing many rivets was acceptable to both the designers and the beancounters.

As far as I know there were no structural welds employed in this bridge. After more than eighty years, this iconic bridge still happily carries multiple sets of eight double decker trains, trucks, busses and cars every day.

Approaching 700 hours in my Skyranger and love it!!

The system for filling the original fuel tanks is a PIA

I have plumbed in a filler point on the side immediately behind the trailing edge of the flap this leads to a Y piece and thence into each tank.

This system works well, and does not interfeer with the luggage bag.

cheers

Davidh

ps any questions re Skyranger

PM me and I will give my best efforts towards an unbiased answer

Having done some research and spoken to a client familiar with the X -air it seem to me that the construction is very similar although the Skyranger appears to be a simpler construction. It is certainly stronger in the undercarriage and generally appears more robust. The biggest point of difference to me is the fact that the X-air will only take a maximum 80 hp whereas the Skyranger is happy to accept 100 hp (much more robust) giving an extra 10 knots extra in cruise. Most 100 hp Skyrangers cruise at around 90 knots, I believe the X-air would struggle at 80 knots cruise with 80 hp.

As to the strength of the straight tube and bolted construction, I have seen the results of three accidents involving Skyrangers (none the fault of the Aircraft) where you would expect some serious injuries to the occupants. In all three cases the occupants escaped with only very minor injuries and some bruising. Two of these aircraft are flying again at minimal expense.

I believe there are also supply issues with X-Air at present.

As the Australian agent for Skyranger and Nynja I am not unbiased but I am trying to be objective.

Greg.

• Informative 1

Because welds can vary in quality, the joint strength is also variable. The beauty about well-designed bolt-together designs (or for that matter riveted designs) is that there is engineering consistency.The Sydney Harbour Bridge is entirely riveted together. This was done for consistency of strength by the engineers of the day. Another reason is that during the depression years labour was cheap and having many people doing many rivets was acceptable to both the designers and the beancounters.

As far as I know there were no structural welds employed in this bridge. After more than eighty years, this iconic bridge still happily carries multiple sets of eight double decker trains, trucks, busses and cars every day.

I happen to have and "in" with he harbor bridge, In fact my mum happened to marry to the bloke whos in charge of it, and I can confirm, that there is defiantly NO structural welding

Having done some research and spoken to a client familiar with the X -air it seem to me that the construction is very similar although the Skyranger appears to be a simpler construction. It is certainly stronger in the undercarriage and generally appears more robust. The biggest point of difference to me is the fact that the X-air will only take a maximum 80 hp whereas the Skyranger is happy to accept 100 hp (much more robust) giving an extra 10 knots extra in cruise. Most 100 hp Skyrangers cruise at around 90 knots, I believe the X-air would struggle at 80 knots cruise with 80 hp.As to the strength of the straight tube and bolted construction, I have seen the results of three accidents involving Skyrangers (none the fault of the Aircraft) where you would expect some serious injuries to the occupants. In all three cases the occupants escaped with only very minor injuries and some bruising. Two of these aircraft are flying again at minimal expense.

I believe there are also supply issues with X-Air at present.

As the Australian agent for Skyranger and Nynja I am not unbiased but I am trying to be objective.

Greg.

Hi Greg I own a Xair I just correct you mine does cruise at 80 knots no problem. 8o hp engine is all that the xair will fit. They now are fitting the rotax 912. Xair have been brought out & are in the proces of moving factories hence the delay in supply at the moment. I have flown a Skyranger & both aircraft fly very similar, I nearly brought a Skyranger back in 2004 off Jean Cloude' what made me choose the Xair over the Skyranger firstly $$$ Xair was cheaper & what was included in the Xair Kit was an optional extra in the Skyranger kit. 2nd was the fuel tank setup, which I believe has been changed now. Both excellent aircraft the build is very similar. I think if you are in the market to buy you have to fly both aircraft & work out what suits your needs best no matter what kit you purchase you will end up with a excellent aircraft.

Hope this helps.

Tony

• Informative 2

I carried out the structural testing of the Xair Hawk (H/Hanuman elswhere) for the UK section S approval and I fly one. You would be surprised at the loads an apparently simple bolted tube airframe can actually handle. They are also easily repairable unlike welded tube or composite airframes.

Some checks you can carry out to compare the two:-

If you get a chance, have a look at both airframes in the nude with no covers.

Check out the way the various tube ends are terminated and bolted.

Grab hold the prop (near the spinner of course!) and try to move it sideways.

Push and pull on the horizontal tail planes and look at the fabric on top the fuselage.

You should notice distinct differences between the two aircraft.

A personal opinion - the Skyranger does exactly what it says on the tin, but the Xair is a stronger build which will handle turbulence better.

Ref comments above, the Xair undercarriage is very robust and will handle "firm" arrivals with no problems. It will also take a lot more than 80 hp, I have flown 912 and D-Motor versions with 90+ hp and they were both very good, the D-Motor being even better due to the much lighter installation.

Nick

EI-ECK

• Informative 3

Then there is also the behind the scenes which is just as important as the aircraft itself and with Skyranger you are dealing with a guy, Greg Robertson, who in my opinion is one of the true gentleman in this industry

• Informative 3

Then there is also the behind the scenes which is just as important as the aircraft itself and with Skyranger you are dealing with a guy, Greg Robertson, who in my opinion is one of the true gentleman in this industry

What about the X-Air dealer/dealers Down Under? Does anyone know about their service?