Engine out aerobatics

Exadios

Guest Howard Hughes

I was lucky enough to see him in 95 (I think it was) at Avalon. The man Chuck Yeager describes as the best pilot ever!:thumb_up:

Bob Hoover's Routine.

What you may not be aware of is that the American authorities had taken Bob's licence from him some months before on the grounds that he was too old to hold a licence and that his reflex's could not be good enough. The American Airline pilots union had put through a compulsory retirement at age 60. (Great way to get more promotion for the younger pilots (who were a majority). So the thing was very political at the time

With all due credit to CASA in Australia, they issued Hoover with an australian licence, to enable him to do that show at Avalon. Nev

What you may not be aware of is that the American authorities had taken Bob's licence from him some months before on the grounds that he was too old to hold a licence and that his reflex's could not be good enough. The American Airline pilots union had put through a compulsory retirement at age 60. (Great way to get more promotion for the younger pilots (who were a majority). So the thing was very political at the timeWith al due credit to CASA in Australia, they issued Hoover with an australian licence, to enable him to do that show at Avalon. Nev

HI Nev, i remember that, it was on TV, they inteviewed BOB and the examiner.The examiner, was saying how excellent Bob was as a pilot.The best pilot he had flown with.

Skills.

There is no doubt that Bob is a very fine pilot. He and a small band of like Americans went through aviation at a time which will never be repeated and they excelled at every stage. They were the pick of the crop and had ,as I say, Unique experience and training. Anyone who understands flying would be impressed by his routine in the Aerocommander, Feathering engines is not a simple matter of just pressing a button while you are doing precision aerobatics in a rather fragile plane, and the energy management ending with no engines taxi to a fixed point just rubs it in. Proud day for Australia, that it was permitted here. I know that BOB was very grateful. Nev