How do you become a RAA Instructor

gtboss16

I am reading a book at the moment called "Sagitarius Rising" about a WW1 pilot's adventures and his love of flying (highly recommended to those passionate about aviation)

I quote a part of the book where the author talks about instructors.

" A good instructor was, and still is, a pretty rare bird. It needs some guts to turn a machine over to a half-fledged pupil in the air and let him get into difficulties and find his way out of them. Instruction demands, besides, an ability to communicate oneself to another person (the secret of all good teaching), and not so simple as it sounds. Add to this great patience, the quality of inspiring confidence, and an extremely steady flying ability in the man himself, and it will be obvious that nobody need look down the nose of an instructor "

A small excerpt from an amazing book about flying.

An approved RA Aus Instructor Training syllybus must be undertaken as outlined on the RA Aus website. The course can only be conducted by an approved FTF or CFI with RA Aus.

The course is intensive but very rewarding and with a good school and the right motivations and attitudes from the applicant, it opens the door to a much higher level in your flying. Instructing is a privilege and a huge responsibility and is and should not be for everyone. Teaching is a lot like parenting - some say their are no bad kids- only bad parents. As an instructor similiar adages often apply. I must say it is probably one of the most rewarding parts of my flying and repays a debt owed to many great pilot's I had the fortune to be influenced by in my early flying years.

What is a good instuctor

" A professional who has the trust and respect of his student, the respect of his colleagues, the skill and experience beyond where he ever needs to fly and the judgement and patience to know how to balance the above in the appropriate manner that always encourages the student to strive higher and emulate these behaviours"

My own personal views- hope this adds something to the thread.

• 3 months later...
Guest Pop-top

I want to become an Instructor :)

Hi guys,

Glad I managed to find this string, short as it is, but very helpful. I printed off the pdf and I cover all those items on the "checklist" with the exception of the Instructor's course.

I also found the other comments and quotes really helpful as I thought about the ideas posed in them. I realise I'm only 26, but I believe I have what it takes and the passion and communication to instill in others with whom I could be sharing the magic of flying with :big_grin:

I've been an Internet Networks trainer of Corporate account managers for 2 years (Adult learning) and a swimming Instructor for 3 years (with students aged 6months-65years).

So I guess my next question is; I'm in the Geelong area and really want to find the RIGHT school to do the course with. Any suggestions on good schools and great CFI's who conduct this course around the melbourne area? if it's intensive I'm happy to travel to a good one and stay in local accomodation. I just don't want to be Instructed to Instruct, by someone who is only doing it to build cheap hours and go into airlines...if you catch my drift. Would love to find a professional Instructor with a passion for instructing :big_grin:

How do you become a RAA instructor? With extreme difficulty!!! Have been trying for some years now, on and off with little joy. No sooner have I found a school with an instructor qualified to do the instructors course something goes pear shaped.

Would be interested if anybody could point me to an instructor not to far from Brisbane.

Guest davidh10
...So I guess my next question is; I'm in the Geelong area and really want to find the RIGHT school to do the course with. Any suggestions on good schools and great CFI's who conduct this course around the melbourne area? if it's intensive I'm happy to travel to a good one and stay in local accomodation. ... :big_grin:

Given that if you do get an Instructor's rating, you will have to operate under the supervision of a CFI at an FTF, why would you travel somewhere where you have to get accommodation unless you plan to move there?

Maybe this is a silly question, but I think you may be missing a few factors in terms of using the rating after you achieve it. Also, I doubt it is something you will do in a week or during your Hols, which is the impression you seem to be conveying.

From what I hear - it seems the problem for FTF's is, that running an instructors course isn't profitable unless there are at least 2, maybe 3, students on any one 'course.' Prospective instructor students might find that it's useful to organise themselves for a mutually suitable time slot - than approach a suitable FTF to run it. It takes a whole lot more to run an instructors course than the bare minimums as set out in the Ops Manual - which might be why it's difficult to find a school willing to run one.

happy days,

G'day PopTop- Poteroo, and David are all on the money. Re- read my early post re this Q some time ago.. I thought about it for a while, put your interest out their to your network of CFI's in your area- remember they will assess you as suitable just as much as you assess yourself. Be a model pilot and exhibit the behaviours that show this- you'll get the tap from the right person at the right time... A good marriage happens when both sides find each other- Best wishes.

• Like 1

Guest Pop-top

Hey Davidh10; As far as I understand it, the course requires me to do 30 hours+ ground work/Instruction plus 20+ hours Instruction airborne. The reason I'm willing to go somewhere else to get the RIGHT instruction for me is that I can then later get employment and supervision with another CFI FTF that is closer to home. As long as the core syllabus I'm delivered with is of a high standard then I will be thrilled. Some of the smaller CFI FTF's nearby, that I have met, may not be able to provide the course but are still looking to employ rec instructors.

That's the plan anyway :) If you are implying that you need to be employed/supervised by the same FTF who awarded you the instructor certification then could that be a reason why many don't offer the course...because they don't have employment opportunities??

Some interesting ideas in this thread.

The instructor course requires a huge amount of work and dedication from the Trainee.

It isn't the sort of course that can be done over a weekend or even full time for a week. The biggest effort is in preparing suitable briefing's. Each sequence requires a long and short briefing to be given by the trainee, with some demonstrations from the Instructor trainer. The long briefings should have visual aids and not be "read" from cards or computer screens. The briefing should go for approx 45 mins. And as I said, there is one for every sequence, ie, effects of controls, straight and level, climbing and descending etc.

These briefings take some time to research,prepare and practice.

The instructor trainer is looking to develop your ability to 'teach' in a classroom setting, and there is a lot that goes into a good teaching session.

The flying side of things is also quite intensive. First of all the trainer is going to run through the sequences with you flying to find any areas where you need improvement. Until your flying is right up to scratch in accuracy etc you wont move onto the "patter flights'

You will go through each sequence from the beginning, with the trainer giving you the patter for the sequence, followed by you demonstrating and working on your version of the patter.

When I train instructors I am very big on timely and correct patter. It is the difference between good instruction and just flying around showing guys stuff.

Once you have the patter down for each sequence you will move onto the most fun part of the course, difficult student.

This is where your instructor trainer will fly the aircraft as poorly as he can, sometimes subtly, sometimes blatantly BAD, and you must either use correct patter to correct or come on the controls and recover the aircraft (ie, in the flair etc.)This is the area where you MUST demonstrate a very high level of competency. Most instructors spend most of the flying time in the circuit. This is where the real learning takes place. And you must be prepared when low to the ground to take over or give the correct patter.

I hope this all helps. It is fantastic fun doing the course and at the end of it you will be a better pilot for it. A good instructor is a pilot that can engage the student and easily pass on information and skill's. Not just fly well.

cheers

• Informative 1

Guest davidh10

Pop-Top;

I think Motz has expressed some of my thoughts far better than I could and his perspective is more authoritative. As a humble pilot, I do not presume to provide an Instructor's or CFT's perspective, but never-the-less have some opinions and observations.

Teaching styles and methods can differ markedly from one person to the next, and it isn't just a matter of fulfilling the syllabus from a technical perspective, but far more, as Motz has indicated.

It seems you have put some good thought into your desire, but I'd also suggest that you talk with your potential CFI employer(s) and gain their input and recommendations as well. I'm sure CFI's will have varying levels of respect for their peers and who you choose to be trained by may affect your desirability as an Instructor employee. Even if they don't run an Instructor course, if you find one who may want to employ you later, that CFI may offer some coaching support external to the course. They may see that as an investment in getting someone who shares their values and perspectives on training.

Initial employment.

You are acting under the authority of the CFI and are initially limited as to what sequences you teach. He/ She is also required to check you at frequent intervals to ensure that your flying standard is consistent. It is important to get the right one so that you are pointed in the right direction. The CFI will set the standard. you will comply with the way he/she does things although many documents are common there are many ways of doing things. The standard is far from constant, in RAAus. Nev

Jodie aka poptop............you used to be 'smoke on" didn't you ?................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thumper wasn't it?Jodie - have a chat to Aub at Barwon Heads as well - he taught me to fly back in the 60s and is still instructing RAA.

Guest Pop-top

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for all the information, it's all very helpful.

Yes, I used to be "Thumper" on the forums, but due to semi-emergency landing at YPJT due to a canopy opening and loosing a lot of altitude, I was dubbed with a more 'official' flying nickname "pop-top"

Hey djpacro: thank you for the tip! I will contact him. Been down there to visit and it's a great little field. I decided to pack in the B737 sim Instructor gig...nothing beats real flying!!! and heavy's...only in my particular opinion, are a bit boring I have to say. So Instructing, aero's and EMT are where I'm headed.

Thanks, guys

I have to admit that this thread has piqued my interest in the whole idea 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Is there anywhere that would list out in greater detail what you learn and what's required in the course?

Is the course the kind of thing you could do 1-2 days per week over a long period or does it have to be done in an intensive full time block?

Is there any chance that a school would hire a RA instructor that could only work 1-2 days per week, or is there little/no chance of employment unless you're going to work full time?

Main question: how do you assess whether you'd be suited to instructing?

Yenn - check your PMs. I did my Restricted there at about the same time as you.

Pop-top - good luck with your new direction.

Some years ago I was at a CASA conference discussing a CASA proposal to encourage experienced pilots to return to instructing rather than simply retiring and fading away from aviation. It seemed to me that vested interests killed that idea. It also seemed to me an ideal way of raising the standards of flying instructors. Instead we are stuck in the cycle of fresh CPLs teaching new PPLs and CPLs. I wonder how many other industries emply the least experienced people to train new entrants.

Seems to me that the CASA idea is included in the RAA instructional scene with some very experienced instructors. On the other hand I wouldn't want my daughter to be taught by some-one who just has the RAA minimum experience level and a brand new RAA instructor rating.

Yea, I agree with CFI, Juniors are always overseen by a CFI. I HAVE sent my daughter flying with one of my junior instructors. You either back them or you don't. If not, then send them off for more training. If you do, then it shouldn't matter who is flying with them. It is not a new phenomenon that low time CPL's become instructors. And im reminded of a recent CASA publication which showed there is absolutely NO correlation between pilot experience and the risk of a fatal accident. We are all just as likely to prang. A very interesting statistic wouldn't you say?

Guest Pop-top
And im reminded of a recent CASA publication which showed there is absolutely NO correlation between pilot experience and the risk of a fatal accident.

I've spoken to pilots who have more hours in planes than they do in cars. They admitted that like many people driving cars, they have become a little complacent in their planes and get distracted or over confident/comfortable. I thought that was interesting as I'd never considered it.

Minimum hours for Command etc.

You can't know it if you haven't experienced it or been taught it.

There are minimum hours for many jobs in aviation, even stipulated in CAR's etc.

Any pilot who thinks He/She knows it ALL at any number of hours is a RISK, but experience counts, you can't deny it. That doesn't mean that doing the same "milk" run for years will teach you much, especially if you have an "attitude" problem.

A keen, observant and alert young bloke/sheila will do a better job, almost from day one. IF experience is taken as a permit to Cut corners and break rules then it cancells out. Happens unfortunately. That's why the experienced pilots can "stuff up". Nev

Anyone out there interested in doing the PMI course??

To follow on from what has been said on this thread already and what my CFI has told me, yes the stating point is the P.M.I. course.

Is there anyone in intereseted in doing this course in the new year? I live in the Brisbane area but am willing and able to travel within reason if needs be. If so let's, get some names together here and see if we can put something together.

Cheers

Dave B