I fly and i vote ?

I havent noticed any thoughts on our political views as yet.

"Whats in it for us ?"

Which one of these parties can at least have some kind of policy that we can vote for ?

We,re running out of time. Are RAAus or AOPA banging their fists on the table or what ?

We want policies that will safeguard our current and future investments.

Who can we vote for ? :confused:

The only thing i have picked up on is that the greens intend to cut back on aviation travel as part of their environmental policy. They are going to push for more highspeed rail links between capital cities better h'way systems and anything that leads to less use of non renewable fuels ect. screw them.

i cannot find anything from any party on aviation be it recreation or commercial. They all seem to miss the point that every time a aircraft lands from overseas each passenger has a pocket full of readies to spend here. They have been brainwashed by CASA into that 'protect the fare paying pax and those on the ground' to achieve their funding and have missed the boat on the fact that aviation in all its forms could be a huge contributer to the commerce of the nation akka the US policy if only someone had the nuts to revoke their (CASA) powers, take back the control of all airports from the blood sucking McBank, useless councils and Frosty.

At the moment CASA's 'safe sky' policies have made it a huge drain to fund and promote their own incorrect and misleading agendas.

Ozzie

A Deafening SILENCE.

Don't think there is any interest from either party. When the Greens get the balance of power. which is most likely regardless of who gets in, they will have a lot of control.

I cannot be anything but pessimistic whichever way you look at it. Cannot see a ray of hope anywhere. If I was 1/2 smart I would give Aviation away. (Probably will). Nev

There is a perception that aviation is the worst mode of transport for the environment. But this study takes into account the environmental costs of manufacturing, infrastructure, passenger/distance travelled and vehicle lifetime etc for various transport types. Aviation comes out pretty well. Even small aircraft come out better than the average car.

Might be worth showing to some green inclined politicians?

Fuel per Passenger Trip.

I have just calculated that a modern Jet can carry a passenger ML-SY for less than 3 litres of fuel per passenger. ( If the plane is full). It's only fuel burn divided by pax. carried. Can anyone show me if I am wrong? Nev.

The way I understand it the previous Liberal federal transport minister allowed policy to pass that has set the stage for the current rash of airport closures that are killing us ( ref Australian Pilot Jul-Aug 10) and the encumbent Labour govt can't even build a school room or dam without stuffing up, so what hope have we got with either party. The underlining problem is outlined by other posts- flying passengers want taxi ranks not nice green airfields, the developers want the green fields and the ratepayers in their boxes keep the councils happy when they're built on.

What's missing is a government with insight to maintain and develop long term infrastructure including GA/Rec aviation hubs but good luck finding one. It's much easier for them to pander to the instant gratification generation with $2 promises and denegration campaigns of fear and incompetence. I'd vote for Dick smith for PM.

Good luck to Australia next Saturday. We'll need it.

Sadly it is about voting for the lessor of two evils... We have been subjected to so much BS from both sides this election there really is very little to compare between the parties. The important thing is not to decide your vote on policies that are just a smoke screen for the real issues facing this country's future.

Winsor68

Electorate of Dawson GetUp!- Action for Australia Central Co-ordinator

another thing to think about when comparing aviation to other forms of transport, such as rail and road, is the Aviation, and shipping are the ONLY forms of transport that dont need infrastructure to be built along its entire route. i wonder if the green have factored that into their plans for more rail and road. or any other group for that matter, this fact alone should ensure aviation is promoted.

You're right Ultralights - the modes aren't being financed on the basis of their design.

For those who are depressed, you're being sucked in by the evening news, or maybe you just can't be bothered finding out the thousands of facts up for grabs.

Do you know who YOUR Candidates are?

Do you know what they are thinking, which way they will push things in your area?

Have you spoken to them?

If not, how do you expect them to know what recreational aviation needs?

How will they know the local airport is important to the community?

The Prime Minister whoever he/she is will no have the time to wave a magic wand over your airfield, and you sure aren't going to get any help if a clutz is voted in.

So it's a bit of a two way street

You want to know why they dont care...........we dont ask them enough questions

Speak to you local candidate...tell them our problems and get them to commit to doing something

We vote .......dont we count ?????

NOBODY HEARS THE SILENT SHOUTER..........

If you don't speak up nothing will change... Like I said... this election like so many others we are being given a smoke screen... almost like the politicians (while exactly like) know that by throwing out these stupid emotion grabbing policies you won't notice what is really important...

Get informed and have your say.

there is only 1 reason why aviation doesnt factor into a politicians thinking...... votes. or lack of them in the aviation sector

And therein lies the rub.

On the other hand aviation is the life blood of a politician. The current campaign would grind to a halt without it. Who is going to fly them around if they destroy aviation from the ground up?

I managed to reduce the companies 'carbon' foot print by almost half... I got a pilots certficate and now fly instead of drive myself around the country..

I Work for one of the Biggest Greenies in the country and he fully supported the decision after he had commisioned a study into it. Efficent General Avaition has a place in a green economy. The Jets do cause some issues as the carbon discharge in the upper atmosphere cause's lots of problems.

Ultralights, you're right it's votes that factor into a Politician's thinking, but you missed the point which Bryon alluded to, the people from this industry are not talking to their politicians, so unless they are psychic, they simply won't know there is a problem.

Or putting it another way "grab 'em by the balls and their hearts and minds will follow"

I've been helping on an issue, (which also is not one of the popular TV issues), over the past few weeks where, in the first week we finsihed up with a thousand people involved - two thirds of the small town in a marginal electorate, and that ensured the Minister got involved, and also led to the Leader of the Opposition promising to fix the issue.

The amount of work involved? - less than we've spent talking about losing airfields.

I noticed that Ms Gillard promised $10 million towards the Central Coast mariners football field (if she gets re elected) This is in the marginal seat of Dobell the only local airfield Warnervale is under threat. Cooranbong and Aeropelican have both been shut down and are lying unused (waiting for property prices to pick up) Could it be that if they are willing to throw 10 mill at a soccer ground they could do the same for an airfield.Do we need professional lobbyists or just good old folding cash in a brown paper bag?

Dave

David, you don't need professional lobbyists or paper bags in a marginal seat, you just have to interest a relatively small number in the community, who then start to make a noise, which gets to the politicians counting each potential vote, and then what Ultralilghts referred to produces a massive response from the Government of the day to hold the seat.

If your airfield is in the postcode district of 2259, you'd be interested in the Seat of Dobell which swing towards Labor at the last election but was won by 6430 votes.

So to get the focus of the Government, it's that 6430 people who count.

That's a relatively easy job if enough people get motivated (eg 100 members convincing 65 people each)

Problem is, with 8 days to go, you'd be starting a little too late. Watch election night broadcasts - there is likely to be a swing one way or the other, but watch for the seats which went against the swing and you'll probably hear something like "the Candidate here really put up an effort the lats couple of years over an unpopular XXXXX, and this most likely cause the variation from the general swing)

How much do your Candidates know about the squeeze on Warnervale and the other fields?

As for getting organised for next election. my lobbying starts the day after the results.

As for telling it like it is... damm my uzi just jammed.

Your absolutley right Turbo, some times you have to actually vote against your preferred candidate so as to get it into a marginal seat and then jump up and down, but then you must be organised and mobilise the troops.

This should be where RAAus and AOPA should be acting.

Great response guys. There are some very good replies here.

It is passion in what you believe in, when it comes to your "quality time out" pursuits that gets you fired up. After all, thats why we work our guts out all week so we can follow our dreams on the weekend with our mates and familys. We dont want to see any erosion of that dream.

Good point Aussie Steve - RA Aus haven't been making a noise on Warnervale and the Sydney fringe over the last couple of years.

Wouldn't this be where we would be wanting the benefit of Steve Tizzard's excellent way with words?

Nice to see some now saying what i have been about our 'fearless leaders' we have 10,000 odd members and no political clout

maybe we need to send in Moooz and Sqivvel