RAA to RAAF?

Message from Robbo:

"Pip Borrmans son Edwin is now Australia's 3rd F-35 pilot and will be spend the next few years in America before returning to Australia"

• 3 weeks later...
So how many hours does a RAAF F18 pilot fly a year?

Not sure these days but back in my time it was 185 hrs per year, that was what was required to maintain proficiency in both air to air & air to ground, if something came up e.g. a potential conflict the training can be cranked up. Whilst that doesn't sound like much flying to some it is all very high training value sorties.

Cooda, for your son that's outstanding news & I wish him all the best for his future RAAF career & welcome to a very exclusive club, to quote a line out of the 1980's RAF fighter pilot documentary (available on youtube) "flying fighters is the sport of kings."080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• 5 months later...

Well the wheel has turned full circle.

The lad first sat in a Hornet as a 9 year old at a Tindal Open Day.

Roll forward 15 years and he's now qualified to fly them. First posting.....75 Squadron at, you guessed it, Tindal.

Can't believe how the past seven years have flashed by. Defence Force Recruiting...Flight Screening...ADFA...BFTS...2FTS...79 Squadron...76 Squadron...2 OCU...it's taken some effort. But has it been worth it? 'Ken Oath! (apparently)

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 6

• 1 month later...
Well the wheel has turned full circle.The lad first sat in a Hornet as a 9 year old at a Tindal Open Day.

Roll forward 15 years and he's now qualified to fly them. First posting.....75 Squadron at, you guessed it, Tindal.

Can't believe how the past seven years have flashed by. Defence Force Recruiting...Flight Screening...ADFA...BFTS...2FTS...79 Squadron...76 Squadron...2 OCU...it's taken some effort. But has it been worth it? 'Ken Oath! (apparently)

Good on him. I spent 4 years at 2FTS as the IT fellow running their Training/Missions database for the Unit. The studs (as they are known @ 2FTS) sweat bricks under the stress. Those who get through have really earned all they have.

An interesting side fact approx 60% ever make and that % hasn't changed much since WWI. Many years ago I spent nearly a decade in PNG and we used to get both the RAAF and PNGDF through Mend in the Southern Highlands. On one of these missions the PNGDF Psych came along as I had a fairly long chat to her in the Clive Steel Club (RAE and RAEME were doing the Aust Aid bit in the District/Province) and surprisingly approx 60% of the PNG nationals got their Wings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Denis

That 60% is presumably based on those who passed the initial screening and were allowed to commence training at BFTS and averaged over a period (?)

In the lad's course, 40 commenced at ADFA and 20 graduated to BFTS. Of those, 14 made it to 2FTS with 9 achieving Wings.

Of the 9, 5 went to Hawks, 2 went to KC30, 1 to Wedgetail and 1 to PC3.

Of the 5 who went to Hawks, all graduated - with 3 now having graduated from 2OCU and joined their squadrons, one was back coursed due to medical grounds and has now started at 2OCU and the fifth is waiting for his Super Hornet course to start.

The following course at 2FTS had 14 gain their wings with 2 going on to Hawks (and a number of pissed off grads going everywhere but Hawks 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Apologies but there’s apparently a bit more “proud father skiting” to be done. 

Fifteen years ago he started out learning to fly a Drifter. Today, he’s flying the F-22 Raptor, courtesy of a USAF exchange. 

He describes it as “Impressive!”  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Proud as punch you must be.

I am on the water at Port Stephens and most days see the F-35 and lessor gods flying from Williamtown airbase.

I must say the F-35 is loud, hearing the trainer's bore holes in the sky is fun.

For some dreams do come true

My young bloke has just this week received his offer for pilot officer. He heads off to ADFA in January. He's always known he wanted to be a pilot. He started flying at 14 (just turned 18). Australian Air Force Cadet of the year last year. A bit proud myself.

• Like 7
  • Winner 1

Thanks Cooda. Long history of ADF personnel in our family, proud to see the young bloke continue that. He already has a number of mates (he's a good networker) at ADFA already giving him the good oil.

• Like 1

That record is reason enough for Australian governments to encourage rec flying; not cripple the sport with regulations.

After the bitter taste of Nazi occupation, France actively supported flying clubs. One result was thousands of French people learning to fly in homebuilt Jodels.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1