VW carby

Guest Teenie2

Guest micgrace

Hi

I presume you have the intake manifold underneath the motor. I suppose you could use a CD type carby instead. Great plains have a variety of manifolds and carbies to that may be of help.

My preference would be to come up with something on top of the engine, say 2 bing 45 carby on a very short intake however much rework on cowl etc I would suspect. Having the intake and carby underneath the motor doesn't make much sense for effeciency and power not to forget "great" carby ice location.

Build Your Own Intake Manifold SystemThis build your own kit features the Intake Manifold Tops that bolt onto the cylinder heads. These high quality castings have primer ports cast into them if you choose to use them.

Hope that may be of some help. Micgrace

Guest Teenie2

It has to be underneath the engine,due to very limited view out of the cockpit at the moment.I was thinking about a Mikuni (motorcycle) carb.Are the bing 45s the carby on the 2stroke rotaxs?

Thanks Micgrace

Teenie

Guest micgrace

Hi

Could use these bing 45 of the 2 stroke but with much retuning. Presumably someone would be able to manufacture an underneath manifold to mount them. Then theres the problem of carby heat setup.

some other setups use an updraught zenith, or an aerocarb (looks good, don't know much about it) It appears the main problem with this type of setup, zenith, that is, is fuel puddling due to the very long intake manifold, so a setup that greatly reduces the intake path would be superior but difficult to achieve in practice.

The problem being, as may be seen from the above picture is the intake is on top of the VW engine and somehow you need to get it compact, usually underneath.

How this problem is someimes overcome is winding the oil line around the intake manifold prior to going to the cooler and/or remote filter (if fitted)

I think that hummel engines may make the exact part required, unfortunatelt theres not a lot of info on their site. www.hummelengines.com www.flyhummel.com

Micgrace.

Guest micgrace

VW Installation

Hi

This illustration by ellison gives some better idea of what I was trying to explain.

Unlike most other carburetors which are adapted for aircraft use, the EFS-2 throttle body injector was designed specifically for the converted VW aircraft engine. Other carburetors used with this engine may utilize "add on" mixture controls and require constant mixture control adjustment whenever the throttle setting is changed. The EFS-2 incorporates a mixture control designed into the unit, not added on. Changes in throttle setting do not significantly affect fuel air ratio.

The EFS-2 also has a diaphragm controlled regulator in place of a float bowl, allowing side draft, up or down draft orientations. The unit is not subject to changes in fuel metering due to G loads and therefore will operate in all flight attitudes.

Many VW installations suffer from poor fuel distribution resulting from poor manifold design. With the EFS-2 a more efficient manifold can be installed, allowing the throttle body to mount on the top of the engine. A sketch of this type of manifold is presented below.

For VW engines with displacements greater than 3000 cc the EFS-3A should be used.

Those who have installed this manifold have reported greatly improved performance. If you wish to mount the throttle body under or in back of the engine, the Great Plains Aircraft supply dual port manifold is one of the better designs

The Jabiru uses a Bing mounted underneath and has no mixture control needed. My carby on the 2200cc engine is Bing 94/40 and has proved to be very reliable and economical.

Ian Borg

Guest Teenie2

Thanks guys,I've cotacted Monnett (spelling) about the aerocarb .it might be the one to go for (no venturi,or so they say).

Does the bing 94/40 (jab) have a accelerator pump?

I wish the carb could go on top,but thats a no go.

The above drawings have got me thinking .( if I could lower the engine 2 or so inches it might fit ,Mmmm)

Guest micgrace

Hi

I did some research on the aerocarb. It can only be supplied fuel at very minimal pressure, say, 1 - 2 psi, this is something to watch out for. Maybe an adjustable fuel return device will do. Also will need some sort of primer device. Othere than that, it appears to be superior in every way to the bing as found on Jabiriu. By the way, no accelerator pump circuit on Bing.

Naturally carby ice can still be a problem even with no "venturi" It just builds up inside the manifold passages contary to what is mentioned. refer to the ellison site for more accurate information.

www.ellison-fluid-systems.com (I think thats correct)

Unfortunately the best, Ellison, EFS-2 is no longer manufactured. It does have one drawback NO AUTO FUEL the seals are not resistant in it.

Micgrace

VW carby.

Since space above the engine is in short supply, you might try a system that I have seen where 4 individual inlet pipes run from a larger oval shaped plenum located on top of the engine close & left of the crankcase centre line.(viewed from the cockpit) and the carb (Generally a largeish CV type )fits down behind the left rear cyl. head & slightly above the centre of said head. (Easy to feed hot air from the left exhausts to the carb inlet, the manifold run is short & being close to the top of the crankcase, should obtain a little heat from there as well .Easy to fabricate & the carb is easy to get at)..Firewall might need a bit of attention N..

The Bing carby does not have an accelerator pump and I have never felt a need for it. The only times I have ever had any momentary hiccup are if I go from full throttle to closed and also nose over at the same time and get a cough, or sometimes on full stall landing i have had the motor stop due to lack of drive from the prop.

Ian Borg

In 1955 Kingsford Smith Flying School at Bankstown operated Austers as their primary trainers. The engines in their Austers had a reputation for stopping during the landing run (idle rpm too low?).

The story of what happened to one unfortunate KSFS Auster is told at the following website: www.navy.gov.au/units/805sqn/documents/Auster_Shootdown.pdf

or google 'runaway auster'

It's a true story...I was there...and NO, IT WASN'T ME!

Bruce

Guest Teenie2

I rekon I will try the aerocarb mounted below the engine with gravity feed.The only prob is that it is fairly large compared to the zenith.

Just for intrest sake the engine is a Ardem (VW aero conversion from 70s) and the carby is the original.The engine was originally fitted by John Corby to his original Corby Starlet (John just recently sent me the O/H manual which he had kept all this time).

If anyone has pickys of heatmuff fitted to a VW I would appreciate it.(can around the exhaust ect).

Steve

• 7 months later...

My 1600 VW has a Zenith mounted over the engine. Intake passes from the carbie thru a 'T' section set into a low profile box thru which hot oil flows. Cools the oil, warms the intake and is no higher than the lowest ignition available.

My D9 has a vw 1835 and and the carby is mounted below the engine. Carby is a solex side draft(It has a accelerator pump) . Seems to work ok. One advantage of below the engine is no fuel pump required.

Teenie2.

Do you realise how old that engine must be. The Corby celebrated 40 years, last year.

Do you have John Corby's address, if so could you let me have it. I built and have flown the Corby for 5 years and have never contacted John to tell him how happy I am with it.

Zenith Carby on VW

I am fitting a new 1600 VW to my Jodel D9, with the original Zenith carby and intake system from my old Stamo engine. It worked well on the old donk; very economical and no hassles. It's fairly low profile, so visibility shouldn't be impaired too much.

Lyle

Pix attached

727261062_notunes.thumb.jpg.2c851376026e226e3210251a84883d43.jpg

Side.jpg.55d5075419f7f386c3f07e02132e1eee.jpg

top.thumb.jpg.bfb9405d7f9ab2911f373e398906a3b4.jpg

Guest Teenie2

Yep she is getting on in years .Purchased in Jan 1969, for 397 pounds ,I have the original documents and even letters between the Rollason factory and Mr Corby plus the old dept of transport engine logbooks and maintenance releases.Yenn Ill PM with address.

Old Koreelah, the pics look good ,I like the oilcooler/airheater. I need the carby below the engine ,my top cowl rubs on the crankcase joint flange,and the oil cap and dizzy stick out through the cowl .

What type of ign have you got ? (no leads at the dizzy,hall effect sensors to transistors and coils?)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
What type of carbys are being used on VW engines?:;)5: Im using a zenith side draught but i am not happy with it.

Hi there. I have a Corby Starlet which has just had major work done on the engine. Its been given new heads with SS valves, new barrels & pistons etc(from 1650 to 1835 cc), plus a new cam, amongst other things. We tried to use the old carb which was a Stromberg and probably off a Mini 1000. While this carb worked well with the 1650 engine, it is just too small for the bigger motor. We have just fitted a Bing (salvaged from a Jabaru 6 cylinder engine), and engine runs tomorrow, plus hopefully a circuit or two. I'll let you know first impressions. I dont do IT all that well, but I'll try to include a few pix of the installation

The Jabiru six will flow more air than your motor so the piston will not go fully up on full throttle if nothing is altered. This may mean that you don't get the rich mixture on full throttle built into the initial installation. Try to put something that will tell how far the slide opens as an indicator, or you will be in no man's land as far as tuning it to achieve a rich mixture where required. Nev

• 3 years later...
Teenie2.Do you realise how old that engine must be. The Corby celebrated 40 years, last year.Do you have John Corby's address, if so could you let me have it. I built and have flown the Corby for 5 years and have never contacted John to tell him how happy I am with it.

Zenith Carby on VWI am fitting a new 1600 VW to my Jodel D9, with the original Zenith carby and intake system from my old Stamo engine. It worked well on the old donk; very economical and no hassles. It's fairly low profile, so visibility shouldn't be impaired too much.

Lyle

Pix attached

Zenith Carby on VWI am fitting a new 1600 VW to my Jodel D9, with the original Zenith carby and intake system from my old Stamo engine. It worked well on the old donk; very economical and no hassles. It's fairly low profile, so visibility shouldn't be impaired too much.

Lyle

Pix attached

Very neat solution I have a Revflow updraft and I expect I have some atomization problems. I may add some heat to the upriser tube to resolve. The plan has 750+ hours but is new to me. Extremely well made winning a Lindy award at Oshkosh in the late 80's enjoys a unique one off oil filter cooler arrangement. A top mounted carb would move away from the simplicity of gravity feed which is likely already a concession made on a Jodel. I attached a picture of my Oil cooler/filter plenty of room for a top mounted solution in the existing cowl. I bet the Jodel is a delight to fly!Regards

Matt

1854675832_ZigsOilCooler.JPG.6b32cc3546108cc51e7828018b0949d5.JPG

Nice setup, Matt. Looks like you have the same low-profile ignition system I used on my VW.

You've dredged up a pretty old post of mine. Lots of air past the prop since then!

About a dozen years ago I replaced my second VW engine with a Jab 2.2 and its been a great success.

Nice setup, Matt. Looks like you have the same low-profile ignition system I used on my VW.You've dredged up a pretty old post of mine. Lots of air past the prop since then!

About a dozen years ago I replaced my second VW engine with a Jab 2.2 and its been a great success.

The same can be said for the prototype Cygnet which has been fitted with a Jab2200. With electric start I believe it enjoys about two stones less weight which is gold in light aircraft. Viking Aircraft LLC World head quarters is in Burlington Wisconsin about 30 miles from my home field. After I get acclimated to the cygnet I plan to visit and look at the Jab 2200 install, Most run a updraft bing I believe.My VW Guru was keen on the Compufire DIS. I am please this one came with my bird! Slick MAG as a backup!

Bob Hoover's Blog: 11/26/06

Best!

Matt