VW carby

Guest Teenie2

Yes Matt, the Jab 2.2 is mobs lighter than the VW. Mine came in 21kg less than the installed weight of my 1600 VW with starter and charging system.

Thanks for the link to Bob Hoover's blog. After only a page or two I'd learned heaps!

Bob is product of that great era in aviation when America shared what it had learned with the world. (This was, no doubt, a reaction to having fallen behind Europe during the early days, when the Wrights' patent battles stymied development.)

I bet publicly-available NACA resources are still the basis is of much innovation worldwide.

Ah a new unit of measure to calibrate on 21kg-3.31 stones "Mobs plural" either 2-3 assume 3 so a mob is approximately 1.102 stones. You have to love an approximation to 3 places. All joking aside... Yes Bob was a gem and a great loss. His words were carefully chosen not to lead anyone astray. He always impressed on his followers that "You are the Mechanic In Charge" Serious business when it comes to committing aviation.

The blog is a treasure to anyone building or feeding a VW and practical on many other avenues for Life and Aviation in general.

Best

Matt

Matt you haven't heard of those units of measurement?

A "mob" is 100 times larger than "heaps big", 1000 larger than a "smidgeon" and a million times the size of a "poofteenth".

Makes more sense than the archaic measurements still being used in the US of A.

• Haha 1

I see so Old Koreelah is an earned title of distinction for someone with knowledge of the ancients yet willing to adapt to new technology as it is proven out. You would be well received on the inner circle of the EAA headquarters should you ever choose to escape Australia. Let me know if you plan to attend Oshkosh in the future so we can fly a sorti together and I can continue to learn from you!

Matt

If only it were true, Matt! The only title of distinction I've earned is Chief Dishwasher.

If you google my moniker you'll see the village/locality where I misspent my youth.

Knowledge of the Ancients? I've learned that the more your learn, the more you realise you don't know.

If I keep studying hard I should eventually stumble over the threshold of absolute ignorance.

Oshkosh sounds awsome, but I doubt I'd survive the sensory overload. You know, when too many aeroplanes are barely enough!

I am actually planning my escape later this year, but Yukon Territory is the main destination.

I haven’t given it a lot of thought but would electronic fuel injection be a solution? Air cooled VWs were after all the first mass production car to use it. I myself don’t care for it- my type 3 VW was very happy with its twin carbs but that’s just me :D

Most aerovee powered Sonex use the aero carb, it gets a lot of talk, pros and cons on the Sonex forums. I run one in my Onex and am pretty happy with it. It is designed for gravity feed systems which is what I primarily use however I also have an alternate electric pump driven system using a 1-2 lb pressure regulator which works perfectly well in all attitudes including inverted.

I have written on a few occasions on this forum of my positive experience running a Type 3 VW engine with EFI. I have in the shed a pair of BMW throttle bodies which (if I find the time in my mortal span) I intend to mate with a Haltech computer and power our A model Karatoo. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

A mechanical system is OK for Aviation work. (often called a "drip" system) With manual leaning. It goes into the manifold or head near the valve on each cylinder unlike an updraft single discharge point floatless "carby" which is a fire risk if most of the installations I've seen are typical. A mechanical system can be flooded also but you really have to overdo the priming to have the grass catch on fire. It's happened a few times though if people don't really know what they are doing.. Nev

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes Bill. I ran an Bing 64/32 CV carb for 700 hours or so on my 1835VW which I scavanged off an old BMW R100 boxer, but replaced it with a Rotec 34mm diaphram carb (its not really an injector). The engine started easier with the Rotec (hand start) as it has a primer function, and I easily got another 100rpm on full throttle. And of course it had mixture control, though I never used it. ...I just left it at full rich. My set up used gravity feed. The Rotec also gave better EGT spread. I've now installed it on Jab motor. Cheers, Mark

• 4 months later...
Zenith Carby on VW

I am fitting a new 1600 VW to my Jodel D9, with the original Zenith carby and intake system from my old Stamo engine. It worked well on the old donk; very economical and no hassles. It's fairly low profile, so visibility shouldn't be impaired too much.

Lyle

Pix attached

[ATTACH]3089[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3090[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3091[/ATTACH]

Lyle

Any reason I could not locate my carb behind my oil to air cooler in the Cygnet to achieve what you have? 

My fuel distribution issue surfaces again with with the revflo slung under the engine.

I woudl probably switch to a float carb that can take fuel pump pressure.

Matt

Lyle

Any reason I could not locate my carb behind my oil to air cooler in the Cygnet to achieve what you have? 

My fuel distribution issue surfaces again with with the revflo slung under the engine.

I woudl probably switch to a float carb that can take fuel pump pressure.

Matt

Howdy, Matt. That post is a blast from the past. That 1600 engine seemed to ran okey, but didn't make it into the air due the weight issues; I replaced it with a J2.2, which weighs lots less and produces lots more power.

That means I can't be much help to you, although, in principle you seem to be on track. My Jab engine intake temp is up to 49C since I made a few changes. It concerns me enough to try another redesign, but it's runs quite nicely with that warmed intake.

• 1 year later...

Zenith Carby on VW

I am fitting a new 1600 VW to my Jodel D9, with the original Zenith carby and intake system from my old Stamo engine. It worked well on the old donk; very economical and no hassles. It's fairly low profile, so visibility shouldn't be impaired too much.

Lyle

Pix attached

[ATTACH alt=no tunes.jpg]3199[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH alt=Side.jpg]3200[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH alt=top.jpg]3201[/ATTACH]

Lyle

I believe the dual port casting in a auto bring the induction forward to the pulley end. I suppose right and left castings are simply swapped to push the system to the flywheel end as shown. Any particular modification needed? DO you recall the casting weight?

Regards

Matt

Lyle

I believe the dual port casting in a auto bring the induction forward to the pulley end. I suppose right and left castings are simply swapped to push the system to the flywheel end as shown. Any particular modification needed? DO you recall the casting weight?

Regards

Matt

Crickey Matt, that's a blast from the past!

Not sure what you mean. I can't recall weighing the induction castings, but being alloy they're pretty light.

Fitting them to the VW engine was a doddle and I don't recall any reason they couldn't be swapped around.

Some people drive their prop from the bellcrank end of the VW, because of the stronger bearings available there. Is that what you are planning?