Firewall forward kit for Jabiru/Rotax 912

zodiac3813

I have been flying an lsa 55 that was certified with an 80hp Rotax for 5 years, it is one done at Rockhampton. Never had any trouble, good airframe with great reliable motor and warp drive 3 blade carbon prop. For weight and balance the oil tank is behind the pasenger seat and battery is behind the fuel tank.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi planesmaker, I have a J400 . I don't think a 100hp would not be enough power. But i love the J400 it's a great plane.Rory

You are correct it is a good plane, I also have a J400 and am very happy with it, but mine does have a 914 in it 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif what an impressive performer!

Guest Maj Millard

I predict we will see more 912 powered Jabs in the future. As I've always said "nothing wrong with the airframe ".............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Maj,Yes that is why I thought I would ask about the interest for a 912 mount perhaps I could make one up if there is enough interest. A friend of mine is just converting his J200 now with a 912S. Tom

Guest Maj Millard

I'll always wonder why the factory never offered them as an option. Most other Aussie manufacturers do....bit selfish of jabaru as I see it..............................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I'll always wonder why the factory never offered them as an option. Most other Aussie manufacturers do....bit selfish of jabaru as I see it..............................................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Geez Maj,

Don't you know there is nothing wrong with the Jab engine in Jabiru's eyes, if you don't want to buy it someone else will is their motto.

Because if they did offer it as an option they would have to shut down their engine plant.

Alf

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

You've hit the nail on the head there Alf................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

You've hit the nail on the head there Alf................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Hey Maj,

Maybe i should have put that in how to start an argument on rec flying thread lol.

Alf

Because Jabiru make there own engines, the other Aussie manufactures don't

SAJ

• 2 weeks later...
Because Jabiru make there own engines, the other Aussie manufactures don'tSAJ

http://www.jabiru.flyer.co.uk/jabeng.html to find why they chose not to install the 912 and built their own engine ... I guess things have moved on a bit since then, but it looks to have been pretty reasonable at the time. Jabiru had built and certified their aircraft around an engine from Italy that disappeared about when they started to need them. The 912 was just too different (heavier, geared, needed bigger prop etc etc) and too hard at the time ........

Interesting thought process they went through, I don't know why they got approval for such a low MTOW. 430Kg doesn't seem like its safe enough for 2 people.

I think 430 kgs might have been ultralight weight limit back then. As I recall, here in NZ it was either 450 or 480 ....

That's odd, the Tornado was designed in 1990/91 and its got a 1000lb MTOW. Had they designed the Jabiru for export to the US with a 912, both as a kit and a fat ultralight trainer, imagine how much different their business would be now!

That's odd, the Tornado was designed in 1990/91 and its got a 1000lb MTOW. Had they designed the Jabiru for export to the US with a 912, both as a kit and a fat ultralight trainer, imagine how much different their business would be now!

You're right. They'd be broke.

I fear the worst for Jabiru now, the advent of the new injected Rotax, will really force a lot of people to rethink using their engines.

True story: I see this very shiny J120 parked @ the local air field a few years ago and I start talking to the owner, just bought it from the factory last week he says. I ask him how it goes, he says terrible. He says the factory must have made the wing during the floods and its crooked. Instead of using a new wing, the factory apply a new edge to the wing to try and correct the fault. He didn't seem to happy, but its good to know.

Guest Maj Millard

jesus FT, That's Jab bashing isn't it !!????....................................................................Maj... 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

true story... not an opinion piece. One of the reasons I have little faith in the Jabiru factory fixing the problems with their products. Saving a few bucks on a repair like that is a bit much.

I read the link quoted a couple of posts earlier. Most of the information no longer applies. The addition of the fuel-injected 912 (the 912iS) to the 912/914 family adds another option. The 160/170 family of airframes mated to the 912 family engines would be world-beaters. As it is, with the current through-bolt issues (different sized nuts, different diameter through-bolts), the impression is Jabiru are just guessing as to what the fundamental problem is and applying band-aid fixes. The through-bolts keep breaking simply because the underlying cause hasn't been found yet.

The real fix is to concentrate on building one of the toughest airframes in the business and get out of making engines altogether, or offer the option at the factory of the Rotax powerplant and be prepared to open a second factory to keep up with the demand for airframes. This would also lighten the load on the engine manufacturer and might allow some detailed research into the problems and their actual cause. The Jabiru engine is just a machine, and machines can be fixed when they have ongoing or inherent problems. Until it is, the commercial reputation of the powerplant will continue to suffer, especially when the comparison is made between the Jabiru engine and the Rotax engine. The comparison these days is valid simply because the aircraft have become slightly larger and we are allowed a little more weight. The Rotax is now a viable option. In the early days it wasn't.

There is another consideration: excessive growth is as bad for a company as too little growth. Jabiru may be reluctant to embrace the Rotax engine simply because it would require them to engage in a rapid expansion of airframe manufacturing facilities and the recruitment of skilled fabricators, two events for which they are quite possibly ill-prepared.

I love flying the Jabiru airframes, but I am getting progressively more tired of being an unpaid test-pilot for their engines.

• Like 4