11900 ft

frankmcm

Guest nunans
Don't worry, the guy was probably feeling threatened. The more you talk to GA pilots and the more you educate them, the more members we get. Only this week I saw a post (maybe Leadsled) indicating the average GA private pilot gets in about 10 hours a year.

That's a really good point,

I'm a full member of the Bathurst Aero Club which was a traditional GA club with PPL or higher trained members and the vast majority of pilots in the club don't own aircraft (VH costs are high) so alot just stay barely current flying the club owned 172 at events and comps during the year.

There are a few bussiness people who own one or more VH aircraft, but many more people got thier licence years ago and would do very few hours in a year.

I don't know the stats but i imagine Rec pilots would get more hours up in RAA planes each year than private Pilots in VH planes simply due to the price per hour.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rec pilots fly more hours (on average) because it is more affordable. (I'm generalising). It's OK some people just flying comps etc provided they never fly beyond their level of competency and recency. Know what you are qualified (and legal) to do and you will live longer, and if that doesn't motivate you "stop doing things that will ruin it for the bulk of us who want to fly responsibly".

Don't fall for the "real plane" thing. What is one anyhow?. Does 15 years as captain of a Jumbo for instance make that pilot more competent around a circuit full of bug smashers, or necessarily more capable of flying a Skyfox, in a gusty crosswind . These days most of those guys have NEVER spun an aircraft, and most private pilots haven't either, so they are equally deficient.

The pilot who is confident and competant doesn't need to bring his/her experience/ endorsements etc, into it. It shows by the way they operate their plane. Experience does count though. Motz and Ultralights are diferent people to what they were 5 years ago. I say "what", deliberately and not "who' in this instance. They're not the only ones, but as instructors who try to set a high standard, they get more experience themselves, as students expose them to different situations, and they respond . Nev

• Like 1

Hi Poke

Thanks for your comments.

Microlight license. Jab 450 is 2 seater tight squeeze microlight, I don't have any other license.

I posted and read recreationalflying because it came up when I was browsing and seeking relevant information. Don't intend to cause confusion, and I reckon the cockups and learning are probably universal.

I came late to flying, and am pleasantly surprised to find the "flying" is not beyond my skills. The big next step is to learn airmanship. That probably includes decisions about turning back and consideration for others. I believe you were referring to this in your post.

I hope I can improve somewhat in the airmanship department. In contrast to learning to fly, when an instructor can observe and comment, ones airmanship probably is beyond the reach of an instructor.

Guest davidh10
..I posted and read recreationalflying because it came up when I was browsing and seeking relevant information. Don't intend to cause confusion, and I reckon the cockups and learning are probably universal.

<snip>

...The big next step is to learn airmanship. That probably includes decisions about turning back and consideration for others. I believe you were referring to this in your post.

I hope I can improve somewhat in the airmanship department. In contrast to learning to fly, when an instructor can observe and comment, ones airmanship probably is beyond the reach of an instructor.

I think you did the right thing posting for others to learn as well. You probably got some useful feedback in amongst the virtual flak.

There's a bunch of rule nazis on this site who will pounce on anyone who posts something that may be interpreted as infringing any rule. I expect his is partly because the site is inhabited by a lot of students and those posters want to ensure that rule potential infringements are highlighted, so as not to be misunderstood as acceptable practise. Just ignore the flak and benefit from the useful posts. We all learn from other's experiences.

I've found that if I post anything that could in any way be somehow construed in the wrong sense, there will be a bunch of admonishments that follow. I've since adopted the practise of putting a footnote on some posts. For example, if I say I've been flying around clouds, as I was the other day, I include a footnote that I was in VMC, the clouds were safe in nature and I was observing regulation clearances (which I do).

"Airmanship" has been discussed before, so just search for it to find some useful posts. Like anything else, there's some basics and we can then just go on learning and engaging in continuous improvement :-)