Training

t83

Anyone know of flying schools in Victoria that has Thrusters. I'm converting my G.A. licence over in a Drifter and obviously want some time up in a Thruster. I've tryed Tooradin, but they have sold theirs and couldn't give me any leads. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Guest TOSGcentral

Hi Mike,

Thruster schools are few and far between. Then it is not just the aircraft but the instructor on board with you!

Closest to you that I know of is Wally Rudin operating out of Narrandra.

I trained Wally right through (using Thruster T500s) from start to CFI. He now has an instructor training authorisation as well.

He is an ex Swiss commercial Alp pilot and is good value for money. He is a bit of a dry old codger and a stickler for standards (so am I) - but he has a heart of gold as well!

Get him on 0427 710 0005

A good solid couple of days with him will give you what you want! The T83EHF you have got is not going to be difficult for you but a good burst on a T500 will give you a lot of piloting dimensions few ever see!

Aye

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I do remember your recomendations of Wally when I got the T83, I was just trying to get someone closer, however as you said a good instructor is also something to look for. I'll give him a call after I finnish the conversion in the Drifter and put a few days aside for a trip north.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hello,

I agree with Tony, Wally Rudin is the man to see. He did my intial ultralight conversion and I have started my instructor training with him at Narandera. Its worth the long drive he is a no fuss instructor and will have you up to speed quick smart. Added bonuses are the accomodation is at the pub (not to hard to find your way to bed) and if you time it right you'll get to meet some of his "favorite students"!

Adam.

Guest TOSGcentral

Hi Allan,

Sorry. cannot help you there.

There may be some Thruster training at the Oaks which would likely be the closest to you.

Tony

I did give someone at Goulburn a call as well and was informed that they no longer were able to provide training in a Thruster.So if anyone out at Goulburn knows anyone who knows someone who may be able to provide a conversion please let me know. Mob. 0402079305

Cheers Alan

Guest TOSGcentral

The Goulburn school were operating a V600N - so it was useless for general Thruster conversions as it is a nosewheel aircraft. The Thrusters are very easy to fly but are witches on the ground and that is where all the work happens - getting them off, getting them back on, and keeping them straight while it is all happening.

This is not difficult if you are in the hands of an instructor who is lifting your knowledge in parallel with your skills plus using organised techniques that TOSG developed.

The Gemini, TST and T300 make quite adequate trainers for the purpose but top choice is the T500 where you are normally at maximum weight and you have the rear keel area to spice things up a bit as well

• 4 months later...