RV6 and RV7 - differences?

Guest basscheffers

Guest basscheffers

Not recreational, but I am considering joining a new RV syndicate. Going a little faster as well as upside down has quite an appeal to me. Not to mention the challenge of NVFR and IFR in future. Especially after flying an RV7 a while back. However, most RVs on the market are 6s. Some really nice ones.

So: what are the practical differences between the RV6 and 7? Obviously, the 7 has a bit more useful load and a bit more fuel. There is a the different wing design, but that's not a practical difference.

The main thing I wonder about is the cockpit design and size. Obviously, the RV7 isn't quite a wide as the SportStar, but I can live with that; I wasn't uncomfortable. Is the 6 cockpit any different, or smaller than the 7? (Not according to the numbers on the website, but numbers don't mean much is my experience.)

I welcome any feedback!

The main thing I wonder about is the cockpit design and size. Obviously, the RV7 isn't quite a wide as the SportStar, but I can live with that; I wasn't uncomfortable. Is the 6 cockpit any different, or smaller than the 7? (Not according to the numbers on the website, but numbers don't mean much is my experience.)

I understand the cockpits are very similar, but the 7 has more headroom and possibly better visibility. The canopy clearance on the 6 is fairly tight for many people. However, I haven't sat in either so take that for what it's worth. Ask the VAF forum. They're a friendly crowd and will be happy to answer any questions you've got.

http://www.vansairforce.net/

rgmwa

The only way you will get an RV6, is to buy one already built or a started kit. Vans have discontinued the 6, except if you have already bought an empennage kit, they will supply the rest of it. The 6 is a great plane, but I have no experience with the 7.

Guest basscheffers
The only way you will get an RV6, is to buy one already built or a started kit.

We are definitely looking to buy a completed aircraft. NVFR minimum, IFR a plus.

Not too fussed about taildragger or not.

Done get a RV 6 into a spin.

Rudder too small and many sore bums after the event. Some have changed the rear fin to a 7.

PS. I have heard many have flipped the 7A on landing. So do research but maybe the tail dragger better.

I can put you on to a 7 pilot that has built a few if you like. PM me for number.

Jim

Had an early -6 with a small fin/rudder, started in 1995 but completed 2001. Later -6 models - after about 1999, (I think), had the larger -7 fin/rudder set-up.

Have flown a few -7's, and they are definitely more comfy than the -6's. Nothing between in the speeds.

The A versions of the RV all have a quite delicate nosewheel structure which can, and will, break if you overuse it. The preferred technique is to use plenty of back stick and a trickle of power, and keep the nosewheel well off. With some practice they can be taxiid with the nosewheel off.....most of the time!!

I've flown every RV model except a -3.... and my preference is for the -9A, but with more HP than VANS recommends. Yes - I've read all the reasons why you can break them by exceeding design limits at altitude.....but you get to be careful by my age. I find it has a softer ride than the short winged models, is better at altitude, and with it's larger flaps - it is a safer short fielder. Sure - it's non aeros, but if you want to do anything other than a few limited manoeuvres - get a real aeros aircraft.

happy days,

The reason the taildraggers have safer landings than nose wheel types, may be more to do with pilot inputs than aircraft configuration.

Exactly Yenn, I'm building a RV9a (hope to have it flying by Christmas), and I can assure you I've done a load of reserch on the RV nose wheel ("A" model).

Most GA a/c are heavy and built like tanks compared to Rec a/c. So we (RAA) have been taught or learnt to respect the front gear on our lighter a/c.

Rv's are built light (for GA), so treat the RV "A" models the same as you would any RA front gear, and I don't believe you would ever have any trouble with the front leg.