turbo prop

kingo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

OK Kingo, 582 gearbox, Bolly 3-blade prop....question is how much horsepower does that International harvester Solar turbine put out ??????..................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi frank,Maj,Ozzie and all, Its a Solar T62-27 gas turbine APU, which I'm told is out of a CH53 helicopter,

I like these engines over the very common T62-32 ground base generator, they are less hp but also a lot less weight, the engine you see is 37 kg with its gear box, and it also has a right angle drive, which use to drive a 12kva 3 phase generator.

This gave me great access of my starter, the engine has a manual fly weight governor and an altitude compensator for rpm control, and this work faultlessly.

If you look up (turbo prop t62-27) on youtube you can see it running, and yes I know the irony that I can put together a turbo prop and I can't link you tube to my post yet.i_dunno

923299521_T62-38specs.thumb.jpg.cc8b1c45e1a21b29a788f0bad28b4fa4.jpg

Thanks for that Winsor68,

Mark, not game to add it all up, as I mite scare myself,

I plan to test the setup in a gyro as if I have any engine trouble I can find more landing zones. Then the next one would like to put it in something that I can fly from my own grass/dirt strip thats fast. like this maybe?

Kingo.

1519301062_dreamplane.jpg.c680b01e9b9a57f05ff29f2d77be280c.jpg

Guest basscheffers

Awesome!

What's fuel burn like? One of the problems with the great power to weight ratio of turbines seems to be the amount of fuel you need to bring to go just as far as on a piston. :(

Guest Maj Millard

Kingo, Wouldn't you have been better to use a 912 gearbox with the straight cut gears and designed to handle more horsepower ?....just wondering......you'r more than welcome to use my Lightwing as an inflight testbed if you like....I'll even volenteer as the test pilot !!....not sure if you will get the engine back though.................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Maj. could not get the 912 ratio right, its 8200 out of turbine gearbox, and I'm happy for now with the C box as this engine has no shock loading unlike a piston engine.

Fuel economy was not my aim, was the why not:keen:

fuel burn no exact figures yet, will get a flow meter soon, now that its all up and running and some trust figures.

turbo prop in a lightwing that I'd like to see.i_dunno

kingo ..

Guest Maj Millard

Kingo, The boys up this way often run the turboprop airtractors on diesel, and they go fine. Turbines aren't real fussy what they burn as you may know.

I'm thinking you may have problems getting rid of all that thrust come landing time, unless you can feather the prop, or fine it right out at the appropriate time. The Caravan drivers often start pulling a bit of beta mode (reverse thrust) over the fence to slow down for landing

Certainly an interesting toy that's for sure, and it just begs to be put into something appropriate.

*I'm also pretty impressed with the very nice test rig.............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks for the positive comments,

Maj, yes you can run it on diesel but it will smoke like mad on start up once its going its Ok, can do a blend with 15% petrol and that will minimize the smoke.

I should do a start with diesel just to show you guys some smoke:nerd:

kingo.

Ok, stupid question:

"Turbo prop"... To me that means the prop is spun by exhaust gas.

On that clip, the prop started to spin as soon as the motor turned. That - to me - is NOT a turbo prop.

Where have I gone wrong?

Dog, you would have to have some one a lot smarter than me to give you the reason that its called a turbo prop, maybe its short for (gas turbine engine driving a reduction gear box to a propeller) as a turb ine t o prop eller, just a guess?

yes there are all different types of drives off of turbines, the engine you are referring to, has a free turbine wheel that is hooked to the propeller,and it also drives off the hot end.

kingo

Free Spool..

There are two shafts on turning within the other. The compressor is driven by one and the other drives the prop. The prop starts in feather and as the revs build up, the prop fines off. Example Pt 6.

A single spool ( RR Dart) has to spin the prop with the starter and requires a lot more starter horsepower and has a greater risk of a "hot" start and turbine blade melt. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Dazza, I would agree that it is actually a turbine-prop, (It's actually a turboshaft) but it just doesn't sound as good as turboprop I suppose to the general public.

As I believe facthunter was trying to explain, there several types of jet turbine engines developed over the years.

Turbojet.

The first and most basic is the Turbojet. thats where the hot exhaust gases are simply shot out the back at approximatly Mach 1 (hence the noise !), and may or may not be enhanced by afterburning (reheat to the poms). With afterburning, additional thrust is obtained by simply re-injecting more fuel into the exhaust gases, just before they exit. Examples of aircraft using turbojets are Boeing 727s, F-86 Sabre, Mirage 111, and early Boeing 737s. (JT8-D) The commercial airliners don't use afterburners for obvious reasons, with the one exception of the Concorde which had reheat capability.

The turbojet was improved upon, and generally replaced by the Turbofan, either high or low bypass. Examples of aircraft with turbofans are the F-111, Boeing 747 (JT9-D), A380, F-18 Hornet, later B-737s, and most other common commercial jet transports in use today.

Turbofan.

The main thrust from a Turbofan (especially Hi-bypass) comes from the large first-stage compressor fan (or fans), which is the big round multi-bladed thing you see when you look into the large intakes. This is actually driven directly be the jet section, but actually is what produces most of the thrust that is produced, just like a big hi-tech propeller. In these Hi-bypass Turbofans, only about 15-20 % of total thrust is produced by the jet exhaust itself, ( this ratio varies in different models) the remainder, and majority of the thrust is forced back by the large fan. The reason a Turbofan is much quietier than a turbojet is that the exiting jet exhaust is encased or sourrounded by the air thrust from the large fans.

The hollow sucking sound you hear when a large jet is climbing out with full power, is the large first stage fan sucking in and compressing air, some of which is used to power the jet, the rest forced back as raw thrust.

Turboshaft and turboprop.

A turboshaft is a turbojet or turbofan type jet engine, that has a shaft exiting the engine to power an external device either directly, or via a gearbox or air coupling. Turboshafts are used to power boats, land-based power generating units, military tanks, and aircraft using propellers. (turboprops !) So therfore a turboprop is actually a turboshaft spinning an aircraft propeller and called a Turpoprop.

The small turbine that Kingo has shared with us is direct linked to the bolly prop via the Rotax gearbox which is why the prop turns as soon as the engine starts. The Cessna Caravan for instance and many other types of turboprop aircraft in common use today are 'free or air coupled" connections which is why you'll hear the jet start before the prop actually starts to turn. It takes a while before the air coupling kicks in. You can actually hold onto a Caravan prop and hold it from turning while the engine runs as there is no direct coupling as such. (don't try this at home, and certainly never try to stop a spinning propeller). Other Turboprops often use a shaft driving a prop via a gearbox. These gearboxes can either be directly mounted on the jet section or remotely mounted away from the jet.

The F111 by the way was the first military jet to use a turbofan instead of the commonly used turbojet. It's one of the reasons the F111s didn't end up operating from aircraft carriers as originally designed. The turbofans take more time to 'spool up' or produce usable power than the turbojet which produces raw thrust pretty much right away. Turbojets are still the choice for some modern military jets for that reason, and one example is the F16 fighting Falcon..............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif