Which Oil?

farri

A local guy with a Rotax 582 wants to use a different oil in the fuel mix and he`s been told to use Castrol 2T, he want`s to know if this is correct.

I use Castrol 2T in my Rotax 503 and to my knowledge this oil is for air cooled engines only.

Will 2T be suitable for the 582?

Frank.

Castrol oil 2- stroke.

I would upgrade from that . The highest performance is

(a) Castrol Power 1 Racing 2T

Or (b) " Power 1 TTS 2T

These are both recommended for Liquid cooled motors with higher performance.

Nev

Having a 582, I did a lot of reading (I won't be pretentious and call it research!) on 2 stroke oils. Castrol Activ 2T seemed to be a very popular choice since the demise of Penrite T40 C. I have used it for 30 odd hours but have no objective measure of its quality. I don't normally "put my faith in the market", but I believe that Castrol would have a lot to lose by selling a poor product. By the way, compared with motor bikes I don't think that the 582 is a high performance engine.

The oil that Facthunter refers to is a fully synthetic oil and one recurring opinion about synthetics is that they quickly drain away from metal surfaces (such as cylinder walls), and so don't offer start up protection in engines that are used somewhat infrequently. There are many urban myths out there and once again I offer my thoughts on a take it or ignore it basis.

Just my thoughts. Don

Having a 582, I did a lot of reading (I won't be pretentious and call it research!) on 2 stroke oils. Castrol Activ 2T seemed to be a very popular choice since the demise of Penrite T40 C. I have used it for 30 odd hours but have no objective measure of its quality. I don't normally "put my faith in the market", but I believe that Castrol would have a lot to lose by selling a poor product. By the way, compared with motor bikes I don't think that the 582 is a high performance engine. Just my thoughts. Don

G'day Farri,

I thought a thorough discussion on 2 stroke oil in http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/avionics-engines-props-recreational/5970-2-stroke-oil-rotax-what-one.html was pretty exhaustive. I'm settling for Castrol Active 2T in my 582

Cheers,

Pud

Synthetic oils.

I agree that the 582 is not a high performance engine as 2 strokes go. Aero engines do however get a fairly hard slog in some aircraft . They operate at about 80% power or above, for a lot of the time. Most other applications aren't as severe.

I personally use Valvolene racing 2-stroke as it is a MINERAL based oil, which gives good storage characteristics, if you don't fly everyday.. The LAST thing you need in two-stroke motors is CARBON forming in the ring grooves. This will cause ring breakage and a very sudden cessation of noise. Synthetic blend oils can stand more heat.

With an aeroplane it is better to be sure with oils by going a bit further up the scale than chancing it. At 50/1 there is not much there

The ordinary 2T is what you would use in a lawnmower as far as I could determine on the Castrol site. Nev

G'day Farri,I thought a thorough discussion on 2 stroke oil in http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/avionics-engines-props-recreational/5970-2-stroke-oil-rotax-what-one.html was pretty exhaustive. I'm settling for Castrol Active 2T in my 582.Thanks Pud,don`t know how but missed that one.

Cheers,

FRank.

G'day Farri,I thought a thorough discussion on 2 stroke oil in http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/avionics-engines-props-recreational/5970-2-stroke-oil-rotax-what-one.html was pretty exhaustive. I'm settling for Castrol Active 2T in my 582.Thanks Pud,don`t know how but missed that one.

Cheers,

FRank.

You probably missed it Frank, while you were learning to be so fluent in French

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Pud