Savanna Safari

David F

I was thinking of planning a flying trip for next winter/spring.Went up north this year but went a bit late and was very lucky not to get caught out in the wet season.Might try west or south next time would be good if a few ac came and similar types makes for a good trip (same fuel burn speed landing characteristics ect ) Comments and input most welcome anyone fancy it.

Dave

Hi Dave

We are allowing for four weeks... but expect the trip to take about 6 days there and six days back, depending on how much we want to fly about. We were thinking going via broken hill and coober pedy and then a different route on the way back. We will also have road crew, so some of our stuff can be carried and they will carry gerry cans to help with refueling. We are hoping to camp in remote places, as well as find some interesting towns to stay in.

I think May is a good time of year to go but im no expert.....

Rach

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rachel, I maybe interested to join your party in May 2011, liely to be a shorter time ie accompany you up then leave early as 4 weeks absence from work is most unlikely. I fly a Gazelle, regards Matt Walsh.

hey matt,

that sounds great! i have allowed for four weeks but reality is it will only be a couple of weeks. the planning stage is still early and we are happy to explore different options in regards to length of time. its an adventure that would be made even more fun by having others along for the ride!

• 2 months later...
hey Rachel, any update on outback trip? you can email me on [email protected] also. cheers Matt

hi matt

we are planning to head out to Uluru at the end of May. Plan is to take 2 weeks, there and back. flying via broken hill, coober pedy and on to uluru. obviously with other stops along the way yet to be worked out. we will be flying from YWOL. would love to hear your thoughts... all company on this trip welcome! my email is [email protected]

Rach

With videos from the wing-tips, photo's from the box office, etc; you can guarantee they'll be very special, as they always are.

Good luck with your planning guys. Can't wait to see the results. ( Lucky Buggers)

With videos from the wing-tips, photo's from the box office, etc; you can guarantee they'll be very special, as they always are.Good luck with your planning guys. Can't wait to see the results. ( Lucky Buggers)

hi alan!

hope you are well. think its time for a catchup! its my turn to take you up in the savvy now!

lets do it soon!

Rach

hi mattwe are planning to head out to Uluru at the end of May. Plan is to take 2 weeks, there and back. flying via broken hill, coober pedy and on to uluru. obviously with other stops along the way yet to be worked out. we will be flying from YWOL. would love to hear your thoughts... all company on this trip welcome! my email is [email protected]

Rach

Hi Rach

I'm not sure what endurance and TAS you plan but the Auster gets awfully quiet after about 3hr20min at 100 knots TAS. This makes it a bit of a headache working out refuelling stops for avgas and I get to thinking serious thoughts after about 2.5 hours.

I came back from the Alice via Oodnadatta, William Creek (Lake Eyre), Maree and Broken Hill in August 2009 and the weather was good. Pump avgas available at each except Maree where I had to buy from a drum. Fortunately, I found someone there to split it with. You will buy ULP at all of them but I'm not so sure about PULP.

May should be a good time for you to go... a little warmer than August. I'd love to go with you as I'm planning a big trip out through Alice and across the desert to Wiluna then north-west to the Upper Gascoyne where I had a station many years ago, and perhaps up to Broom before coming back home around the coast. Unfortunately, I have to sell my home and buy another before I go so I am planning on August again this year.

You should have a fantastic trip but stay safe and take plenty of water.

kaz

hi Kaz

our savvy has great range... 6 hours before she goes quiet. also.. we plan to have a ground crew...so we can carry as little as possible and can have fuel at hand when needed. But even without the ground crew we would be fine in the SAvvy. we are still in the early days of planning... the next few weeks we will post a full itinerary... and hope that anyone out there who is interested canmeet us along the way.... or come along for the whole trip. it will be an amazing journey. I have had quite a few practice goes flying out to Lightning Ridge and Brewarrina... and i know the terrain gets even more bland but ive had good practice flying those long distances. The Savvy is pretty surprisingly comfortable on a long haul. and the great thing is that out there... we can just pop down anywhere pretty much for a break if we needed to! the priority in the plane will be all the emergency equipment i can find... and plenty of water.

its a shame you couldnt come along this trip... but we intend to make many many more...

Rach

hi Kazour savvy has great range... 6 hours before she goes quiet...<snip> its a shame you couldnt come along this trip... but we intend to make many many more...

Rach

Thank you Rach. It would be so nice to have the company of others on a long trip but it looks like it will just be Mandy (my dog) and me, again.

I have to confess that my bladder level seems to be inversely proportional to the fuel level these days so I generally need to be on the ground after 2-3 hours, anyway!

I look forward very much to hearing about your plans and your trip when you return.

kaz

hi alan!hope you are well. think its time for a catchup! its my turn to take you up in the savvy now!

lets do it soon!

Rach

sounds great! we called into jaspers and also the aviator lounge for a coffee last weekend, on our way back from a week at sussex inlet, but you were probably aviating somewhere. look forward to catching up again before too long.

Alan

sounds great! we called into jaspers and also the aviator lounge for a coffee last weekend, on our way back from a week at sussex inlet, but you were probably aviating somewhere. look forward to catching up again before too long.Alan

you SO should have called me!!!! i was out at Jaspers and the gong! bummer... lets catch up soon!

I have to confess that my bladder level seems to be inversely proportional to the fuel level these days so I generally need to be on the ground after 2-3 hours, anyway!

You last that long? Lucky sod... hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif