On the Border

Guest pelorus32

Guest pelorus32

Don't know about a "Great" trip but I had a really relaxed little tootle around yesterday morning. The weather was forecast to be 36 degrees and it was very muggie with a trough sitting right over the top of Shepparton so I headed off early.

Pre flighted the Tecnam and was in the air by 7:30am direct Shepparton to Echuca, just the odd bump as I passed under ribbons of that classical trough cloud. Into the circuit and down on runway 17. Taxied in to find big puddles where Echuca at least had got a shower of rain.

1_Tecnam-Echuca.jpg

Off again from runway 17 turned left and climbed to 3500 for the run to Deniliquin. Now here's a little quandary. The track was east of north - hence the cruising altitude but the heading was west of north. What's a bloke supposed to do? Nice view of the Barmah forest off to the east and lovely low sunlight. Tracked just to the west of Mathoura. Just after I called 10 miles inbound a Wagga Air Navajo called 10 miles to the east. A little later he called me for my position and then called 5 mile final for runway 24. I joined "downwind" and followed him in for a downwind landing on 24. Talk about grieviously misled!!

After a short leg stretch I set off again - this time from 06 - and climbed over the top to track direct to Shepparton. This track took me down through some country rich in creeks and the Edward river before crossing the Barmah forest and the very sluggish and dirty looking Murray. I heaved a sigh of relief to be back in home territory after the "badlands" of NSW. Tracked overhead Nathalia and into the circuit at Shepparton for a crosswind landing on 36.

A very low key and relaxed nav with the sun shining, the air relatively still and beautiful light. Unfortunately I only took one piccie!

The previous evening I also had the pleasure of meeting up with Paul from Cooma. He had flown across in his CT to do some work with the guys at Shepp.

For me it was a relaxing little interlude.

Regards

Mike

You know Mike a lot is made of the term "Great trip" however the word recreation to me means to enjoy one's self and relax so for you just to do this trip was to my way of thinking the true meaning of recreational aviation.

Great one Don

Regarding your question regarding Hemispheric Cruising Altitude, you are required to fly at the approriate altitude for your 'planned track.' So in your case, 3,500ft was the appropriate altitude.

brentc is correct but it is track magnetic, not true or compass.

Usually it makes little difference and common sense tells me that it would be better to be heading, as that is where you are looking, but that's the rule.

Ian Borg

The previous evening I also had the pleasure of meeting up with Paul from Cooma. He had flown across in his CT to do some work with the guys at Shepp.

Thanks Mike, and a real pleasure meeting up with you and others at GVAC. You've got a fantastic club atmosphere there at Shepp, very active and very chummy. A word about the team of instructors at Air Shepparton ... what a great bunch (Mathew, Nathan, Tristan and Susan), very friendly, very relaxing, very supportive, very encouraging and goal focussed for students. If anyone out there is thinking training think Shepparton.

And, CONGRATULATIONS to Mike for gaining his XC and Pax endorsements on Saturday. Well done mate.

Cheers,

Paul