Started the Couger

Sloper

On another note l got a email the other day saying my Viking Motor will be ready next month, two months ahead of schedule 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Hi Bruce,

I am planning to build a Sierra this year and at this stage will be installing a Jab 3300 but that is not a forgone conclusion.

I don't know much about the Viking other than what is on their website. It looks a tidy unit and has a fine heritage but there is not much information in the technical section. What sort of ignition system does it have and is it single or dual? As it is an in line 4 are there any likely issues with torque creating roll input when you go full throttle quickly?

Regards

Kevin

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has twin ECU's, not sure what you mean by the inline four causing torque roll, all configerations do.

l have to speak to Gary about getting the mount earlier than expected too, but $$$$$$$$$$$$

regards Bruce

Viking mount

Hi Bruce I,ll be keen to know what Gary can do with the engine mount,Jan said in his email that he could make one no problems,also i will be using Gary,s cowling as i already have it just have to modify it abit to suit the Viking.Would like to talk to you about the Viking engine can you send me your number

Cheers John:clap:

• 1 month later...

Just a update.

Had my first SAA inspection yesterday, all is very good.

Been busy cleaning, sanding, polishing the fusulauge in readyness for undercoat.

My Viking engine will leave the State's this week.

regards Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Goodaye all

Been busy preping the bottom skin and making the floor frame.

Found l dont have anywhere near enough cleco's. (orded more)

Have a sore hand from cutting drilling and use of cleco's.

Using a great Aluminium deoxidiser that was recomended to me by truck body builder. (inexpensive safe and goes far)

Looked at the aircraft spruce catalouge something to use as a tie down point and a step that could be fitted to the fusulauge.

Is there anything off the shelf anywhere or should l make my own?

regards Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Can we ask approx $ for viking engine? looks like a nice engine, light, good power and I like the idea of ability to use mogas including ethanol and dual ECU instead of mags. AC is looking very nice so far. Love the Cougar.

• 4 weeks later...

Firewall fitted

Now working on the tailpost and rudder.

starting to look like a plane and not a boat. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

regards Bruce

As this appears it is a very meticulous build, i would also be very interested to know actual build hours if you have been keeping records of that? Have you built an ac before?

Not logging the hours, my thoughts are it takes as long as it takes.

No l havent built a aircraft before.

But l have restored a 52 Chev, 57 Chev, 40 Chev and fiddled with lots of Holdens.

Also have a couple of bits a paper on the wall saying l am a engineer. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

If l change somthing l always check it with Gary.

Just have to get used to building lite.

regards Bruce

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Goodaye all

Been a while since l updated you all on my progress, been busy at work and putting power steering on the 57 Chev.

The rudder is close to completion, my oldest son has been deburring and helping out.

Had to cut my bench height 60mm because of the rudder post hitting the roof.

Also have decided to use solid riverts on the trailing edge for asthetics.

The ship with my engine leaves Florida on Sunday and gets her 23 July.

For a bit of fun can anybody identify the bike in the back off the second picture? 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

regards Bruce