Started the Couger

Sloper

Ok further to the above, I see things got a little heated - as they tend to when alternate engines are being discussed and mods have pulled the pin on it. The earlier text is there to read though.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodaye all

l got a copy of the email the people in the US had, basicly the paper trail for that container was forgotton, so the container sat.

Will know be leaving the 10th

Its one of the first here.

regards Bruce

Hi Bruce

There are a lot of people waiting to see how yours performs...hurry up and get that cougar ready to fly 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif. Have you seen any other videos other than the ones produced by Viking on the net?..also maybe others who actually have them flying as well. That forum discussion was interesting to read especially that the engines are from low mileage wrecked vehicles

Mark

Goodaye all

Thought l might give you my thoughts on why l choose a Viking.

l do have a bit of engineering background.

First cost.

Big savings on the initial purchase.

Uses premium unleaded.

Service costs, l doubt l will need to do anything to the heads in the first 500 hrs like a certain well known engine.

l can get engine parts from my nearest Honda dealer.

l expect my hourly flying cost to be pretty low.

Reliabilty

Its a Honda and there millions of the things, l checked out the particuler engine with a dealer and they have no issues at all (but that is in a car)

Twin ICU's

Fuel injected, no carby icing.

Gear PSU

Tempature monitoring of PSU

Water cooled.

Now l cant see it being any less reliable than current aircraft engines, a through inspection before flight, maintenence should pick up any majour issues.

As far as maintence is concerned l will get my ticket for it and know that it is right, my motto is if in doubt throw it out.

So out of l expect to have a safe engine that would be just as reliable as some of other offerings and know l can acturly afford to fly.

As for them being out of low milage wrecks, l am not overly worried.

Just remember l am registering it as a experimental and l am experimenting.

regards Bruce

• Like 1

Using a great Aluminium deoxidiser that was recomended to me by truck body builder. (inexpensive safe and goes far)

Sloper: How does this work and what are the benefits of the aluminium deoxidiser??

Yes l have tried it, leaves a dull surface that can be polished up.

l will have to grabk the bottle but from memory its a phosphoric acid based one.

Gets very diluted.

regards Bruce

the biggest saving with an auto conversion is it will be cheaper to buy another low mileage engine than the cost of the rebuild. even if you get only get 1000 hours out of each engine.

I agree with the auto conversions, when you look at other people who are using VW and subaru etc, they are getting as much time out of their engines as the jab/rotax options for 1/3 the initial purchase price.

I have owned subaru before in a car and I can tell you those engines do handle a solid flogging!

And there seems to be a lot of research going into these newer conversion engines, just the manufacturers dont do the required certification process perhaps due to cost etc. With the added benifit of simple/cheap repairs, electronic ignition, fuel injection and a computer you can grab out of a wrecked car if things go bung.

I for one would be very interested on the outcome of this engine type.

Same as a 6cyl Jab and the same mount postion, make you tkink what market Viking are targeting. :big_grin:

By the time l get 1000 hrs up l could start looking for new crate engine at a reasonable price.

regards Bruce

I had a look at their website and they have quite a list of customers to whom they have shipped Viking engines (you're included!). There are lots of Zenith owners and there is even one Savannah owner in among the buyers. They seem so much cheaper than the Austrian/Australian engines.

I don't think you will get an auto conversion to weigh as much as a 912, but you can get close to a 914. The honda L15 engine is cool in that it has a central camshaft instead of a twin cam arrangement which makes it very compact. and the built in exhaust manifold.

Goodaye all

Been busy on the weekend.

Made a couple of small changes, mainly due to my engineering thinking of failure modes (what if's)

First off l have fitted the top hinge bracket on the inside, takes the loading off the rivets.

Means if the rivets were to fail the bracket is still captured with in the skin. (the rudder might stay on)

Also l have extended the rudder pins, so if the bushing fails or the fuslauge moves alot the rudder once again should stay on.

Have also organised a towing/tiedown point, will post pics when finished.

Painted the rudder internaly and will close that up tomorrow, maybe.

The Ship with my motor has left Los Angeles.

http://aprs.fi/?call=i%2F538002881

regards Bruce

Goodaye allBeen busy on the weekend.

Made a couple of small changes, mainly due to my engineering thinking of failure modes (what if's)

First off l have fitted the top hinge bracket on the inside, takes the loading off the rivets.

Means if the rivets were to fail the bracket is still captured with in the skin. (the rudder might stay on)

Also l have extended the rudder pins, so if the bushing fails or the fuslauge moves alot the rudder once again should stay on.

Have also organised a towing/tiedown point, will post pics when finished.

Painted the rudder internaly and will close that up tomorrow, maybe.

The Ship with my motor has left Los Angeles.

http://aprs.fi/?call=i/538002881

regards Bruce

Sloper, I followed your tracked engine. I hate to disappoint you but the ETA in Melbourne is given as midnight 11th June. Your Viking motor departed on the 11th July. That will take 335 days to get to OZ! Are they using a rowboat?

my container went from the east coast of the US via Spain, Italy, change of ships, Madagascar, Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, change of ships, Brisbane

Must have arrived with an International Cross Country Endorsement.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Alan.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Goodaye all

Been working on the elevator, l hate fibre glassing.

proberly start skinning them over the weekend.

Did l mention l hate fibre glassing.

Did l mention l hate fibre glassing.

l intend to put a couple of inspection covers in the elevator so that l can easily remove them.

My engine is being unloaded and l am waiting for the call to go and pick it up.

Made a couple of changes to the garage as well.

Put a big stereo in and hooked it up to the computer, l can finaly play my music LOUD.

Also l had to replaced the fibre glass sheets in the roof, what l did is put a batten on top and put two new sheets of poly carbonate on to replace one fibre glass.

This left a 1 inch gap the whole length of the garage and improved venterlation.

Did l mention l hate fibre glassing, glad l have a metal aircraft.

regards Bruce