Correcting for wind and flying at a point on the horizon

I've just started the nav training, and done one nav to get me used to the idea. I now need to plan a longer one, but am confused by the practicalities of planning for wind and flying at the same time.

Say you want a track of 300. You know there is a wind that will result in you needing to point in the direction of 310, to be able to be blown back onto your track of 300.

But, at the same time we (or at least me) have been trained to fly towards a point a few miles ahead then when I get there aim at the next point, so as to always fly in a straight line.

So if I take off and point at 310, and then pick a point ahead, I will actually make good a track of 310, and then be 10 degrees off.

So should I not look at a point on the ground? Or should I ignore the wind and track along points on the ground?

Sorry for the basic question but this one is really bugging me!

Ryan

What I learned was to always fly the heading accurately and adjust for changed winds on your 6 minute checks (or 10 minute, 10 mile, whatever you're taught). So I don't look for a reference point, I regularly check my heading as part of my scans. Good idea to ask your instructor.

Guest Kevin the Penniless

If you plan to fly a track of 300 but need to fly a heading of 310 due to wind then the point you pick will not be on the nose but 10 degrees off the nose, in this case 10 degrees left of the nose. That point should stay there if you are maintaining track. Draw it out on paper and you'll see what I am on about. I once flew with such a strong wind I was holding 30 degrees drift! Quite weird to have the point you're aiming for so far off the nose. It's no different when you crab the plane on finals with a strong cross wind.

yeah, as cficare and co say.

However, I will use a distant feature to fly towards while my eyes are outside so it has a place I think but it doesn't remove the need to regularly check that the aircraft is flying the correct heading. Track crawling is pretty easy when you are very familiar with the area but when your somewhere different or your familar area looks very different (lighting, mist, dust, different approach direction, etc) it can quickly lead to trouble.

A good question to ask your instructor as they can probably illustrate the issues easer :-)

i have to agree on the ask your instructor comments, because it will all depend on how they are teaching you.

obviously you'll get your track to follow when you do your flight plan, but remember that constantly throughout the nav, you will still have to be checking your position on your map, to make sure that the wind is as it states, and that you have made the right crosswind correction.

if it isnt how it says it will be, then comes into play the ded-reckoning/1 in 60.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/showthread.php/127740-6-minute-markers-and-the-1-in-60-rule-explained

the above is an explanation of it...it's something that will eventually come up in the nav training, but worth checking out soon so you can understand it when it's time for it! i've never nav'd by the horizon reference point, so i cant really comment on that. you'll find the way that suits you the more nav's you do.

good luck with the navs and keep us posted!!!

liz

Like CFI sed, heading heading heading. You can use the point on the horizon technique, to varying degrees.

Kev, the object you are flying towards (pointing at i should say) will actually change 'relative bearing' the closer you get to it. Thats why the further the mountain etc away, the better.

heading and track.

When there is a wind component from the side, you will have calculated a HDG that will be upwind of your destination and ( if it is correct) result in the wind blowing you sideways so that you will TRACK (TK) to your destination., even though you are NEVER in those circumstances, pointing at it.

If you point at your destination you will be blown downwind of it and you will fly an ever tightening arc where the final heading will be into wind to arrive there. Does that make sense? Nev

Tracking instead of heading

If you go with the conventional approach - then hold heading by using your compass or DI or EFIS readout in the first instance. Using a distant reference point on your nose, (as Merv says), which corresponds to your desired heading is a better way to keep your head up, and eyes outside. You can then make corrections using 1/60 when you reach an identifiable location.

Another perhaps more practical way to do it is to look along your track,(before flight), for a really good visual location which is right on track. Once on cruise, change your heading so that the 'on track' reference point stays steady to either side of your aircraft centreline. You'll then be 'tracking' - rather than blissfully holding a heading. And, you'll pass over the 'on track' point because you'll have adjusted heading, perhaps more than once, to hold that point steady in your windscreen.

This won't work if you are heading out into absolutely featureless country without any on track reference point for a 100 miles. In which case, you might be better advised to fly a 'dogleg' track which does allow you to overfly some easily identifiable points. a good example was flying direct Leonora/Laverton to Yulara which put you 50 miles SE of Warburton Range....like, nowhere! Cowards like me did it by overflying Warby which only added another 10 mins to the flight.

Merry Christmas,.......

Guest davidh10

[MAP][/MAP]Keep in mind that the horizon isn't always distant. In haze or with low cloud or suspended water vapour, your horizon can be much closer. Maybe even down to VFR minima. Also if you are flying at low level. One of my navs was deliberately conducted at 300' agl over relatively featureless farm land to try and get me lost. It changes the whole concept of situational awareness, and unless you are going to land somewhere very close, you still have to navigate. In this situation, getting several miles off track may mean not realising which side of track you are.

For that reason, I prefer the approach of continuous heading correction by observing relative lateral displacement of a mid and distant point on your track. They don't need to be map references. Of course if you were planning to fly over featureless terrain, you may choose not to fly if these conditions are present, and to divert if you encounter them on the way.

I know nothing about the rules for gyros but I thank Russ for his explanatory note.

It strikes me as important for those who are coming into this space early in their flying careers that we spell out in our posts such variations as may exist between categories of flying machine so that we don't inadvertently mislead someone to their later detriment.

kaz

I'm led to believe CASA is in the throws of re righting rules/regs for recreational aviators...........this has been in the mix for several yrs, about to be finalised.

In the main.............we all operate under identical rules hence forthe.

Gyro's are permitted to 300agl, lower than that they need landowners permission, new rules will push them up to 500agl min..........some diehards are unhappy about this.

The quantum leaps gyro's have achieved with safety / performance in the last 10yrs, and choices of turn key 1 & 2 seat machines has accellerated numbers getting out there. ( as has microlites/ultralites ) rec flying is alive and well.

The more we all learn about each others flying perameters, the safer we all will be. Not to mention dispelling myths and comparisons of yesteryears to "today yrs"

We should all take advantage of any opertunity to jump into other type aircraft and get hands on feel of it's flying performances, i for one jump into jabs/microlites/whatever, any time i can........yet to jump into a parachute tho.........mmmmmmm