gyro beach runs

fly_tornado

Guest Maj Millard

I see the ability to asses an area as suitable (beach, salt lake etc) and then to conduct low-level flight above that surface as honing an additional skill. It is basically the same moves you would make flying at a height of 1 foot or so along the runway. Some aircraft do it like they were made to do it, (Drifter etc) and some don't want to do it at all. Wind conditions at the time are a big factor, and of course it is not something for the novice pilot.

The practised ability to asses as suitable, and conduct a sucessfull beach landing is another skill that you may need someday, especially if you do a lot of coastal flying as many of us do.

I will not stand by and watch these, and other valuable flying skills (slipping, extreme short field ops, unimproved field ops etc) be lost or simply regulated out of existance by some 'johnny come latelys', who wouldn't know where to find a good beach. They need to go back to GA where over-regulation is the norm, and where your lucky to be able to afford an hour a month.

Pilots who have mastered, and enjoy utilizing the skills mentioned above (and I am not the only forumite who has), are the ones who put this sport on the map in the first place.

If you can't handle the action, get out of the kitchen or keep your mouth closed !.............................................................Maj...

Flak jacket on !!

I wouldn't fly low over the water, catch a wheel on a freak wave and you could well drown before you get out of your harness. flying low over the beach doesn't look that dangerous, there is little elevation change and no large trees to catch you out.

Guest Maj Millard

fly tornado, Unfornatatly you wrong on a couple of counts there. There are beaches of course that are flat-as for miles, but even on the best beaches there can be ups and downs, especially around creek mouths. And the ever present tree line is always there to crab your wingtip if your not paying attention, and of course there's always those damn birds, large and small.......................................................................................Maj

Guest Maj Millard

I'd be happy to further contribute (?) to this subject, but unfortunatly I have to leave for Shute Harbor shortly, where I need to be on deck early in the morning. Will check this site in a couple of days. Cheers Maj

flying between trees in an isolated area looks like a recipe for disaster, legal or otherwise

I thought id get a few comments like that, you see if you saw what we can actually do you would realise, this type of stuff is a walk in park with a beer in the hand :)

Nd yep with a 912 up ya butt ill fly anywhere/anytime, you really need to be able to trust your engine, this is why i got shoot down on the other thread for recomended some one getting a REAL engine.

Would any others like to follow us in car engine machines???????

Bones baby,I didn't shoot you down mate, you will get little argument from me on a proper aero engine, the discussion was that not everyone can afford an approved engine. You didn't tell us what you meant by a real engine when we asked you..... Now we know, I agree a proper aero engine is always better especially when doing the engine critical stuff. I could be a real, bitch here and say that I am not sure I'd even trust that other very common air cooled real engine doing the same engine critical stuff though.:peepwall:

David:laugh:

Nd i really couldnt care :)