Revolution trikes

Hi Heldering,Is that a 914, or have the rocker covers just been painted red to match the colour scheme of the trike?

I went for a fly in a Revo with a CFI in Colorado about 8 weeks ago. Besides spending a lot of the flight being shown through the many screens on the glass panel, I found I couldn't quite get comfortable enough with the foot throttle to feel my way to a level flight power setting (I couldn't get in my ear "in" on the 2 bladed prop either). If, like myself you previously did most of your trike flying in Airborne trikes, how do you find the foot throttle on the Revo?

Not saying any of it is bad, just different from what I'm used to.

Its a 912ULS 100Hp, rocker covers painted red. No question that after flying a 582 Airborne Wizard for 5 years, then a 912 Airborne Streak 3 for another 6 years the Revo is quite different. But in a positive way. The 100Hp is a superb engine, very very smooth, quieter than the 80HP and with noticeably more power. I tend to takeoff at about 4900 rpm one up and climb at 1050 fpm. After takeoff I tend to use the throttle setting on the dash for straight and level flight. The Enigma screen 2 has a glide slope and a large indicator to focus on climb/descent rate. Because of the electric trim the rpm will vary depending on the AOA i.e. faster or slower but I'm finding about 3800 rpm at slower speeds 60-65 knots is the norm. At 80 knots it can increase rpm to 4400. I love the 2 bladed prop and the foot throttle has posed no problem for me. Bear in mind you have significant movement possible to set the foot throttle based on your particular needs along the CNC rail its mounted on.

After my first 16 hrs there is no doubt in my mind the Revo is a next generation microlight, love being able to stand anywhere on the pod, more passenger room too.

Its a 912ULS 100Hp, rocker covers painted red. No question that after flying a 582 Airborne Wizard for 5 years, then a 912 Airborne Streak 3 for another 6 years the Revo is quite different. But in a positive way. The 100Hp is a superb engine, very very smooth, quieter than the 80HP and with noticeably more power. I tend to takeoff at about 4900 rpm one up and climb at 1050 fpm. After takeoff I tend to use the throttle setting on the dash for straight and level flight. The Enigma screen 2 has a glide slope and a large indicator to focus on climb/descent rate. Because of the electric trim the rpm will vary depending on the AOA i.e. faster or slower but I'm finding about 3800 rpm at slower speeds 60-65 knots is the norm. At 80 knots it can increase rpm to 4400. I love the 2 bladed prop and the foot throttle has posed no problem for me. Bear in mind you have significant movement possible to set the foot throttle based on your particular needs along the CNC rail its mounted on.After my first 16 hrs there is no doubt in my mind the Revo is a next generation microlight, love being able to stand anywhere on the pod, more passenger room too.

Its a 912ULS 100Hp, rocker covers painted red. No question that after flying a 582 Airborne Wizard for 5 years, then a 912 Airborne Streak 3 for another 6 years the Revo is quite different. But in a positive way. The 100Hp is a superb engine, very very smooth, quieter than the 80HP and with noticeably more power. I tend to takeoff at about 4900 rpm one up and climb at 1050 fpm. After takeoff I tend to use the throttle setting on the dash for straight and level flight. The Enigma screen 2 has a glide slope and a large indicator to focus on climb/descent rate. Because of the electric trim the rpm will vary depending on the AOA i.e. faster or slower but I'm finding about 3800 rpm at slower speeds 60-65 knots is the norm. At 80 knots it can increase rpm to 4400. I love the 2 bladed prop and the foot throttle has posed no problem for me. Bear in mind you have significant movement possible to set the foot throttle based on your particular needs along the CNC rail its mounted on.After my first 16 hrs there is no doubt in my mind the Revo is a next generation microlight, love being able to stand anywhere on the pod, more passenger room too.

Hel,Thanks for that info. The concept of LSA allowing Trikes to have >450kg MTOW is not something I'd considered before and I suppose it opens some interesting possibilities for Trikes with certified MTOW up to 600kg.

It's been about a year since I dropped into Moruya. It'd be great to see your new machine when it arrives.

Cheers,

Glen

Hi Guys - just thought I would let you know that the Revo will sometime over the next 6 months be certified to have a 500 kgs MTOW.

The ATSM requirements for the Revo were actually carried out at this weight and the US manufacturer has now decided to increase the MTOW that currently stands at 482 kgs. This will upgrade existing Revos like Heldering's.

Most trikers are unaware that most trikes have a weight limit on each seat - and believe that as long as the MTOW is not exceeded all is well.

In fact the Revo has 114 kgs per seat, the P&M GT 450 110 kgs and the AirBorne XT 100 kgs per seat.

There are quite a few fliers out there that are actually above the 100 kgs mark and do not realise that they are flying above the manufacturer's specifications.

I suspect this may also affect their HGFA or RAA public or other insurance - but I am unsure about this. Worthy of a follow up by someone who may be around this weight I would have thought. Or perhaps someone on this Board may know the answer to that ? - and I, and some others, would appreciate a legitimate response to this question.

Thanks - Jon.

Guest davidh10

The CAOs tie you to the RAA (or HGFA) Ops and Technical manuals. At least the RAA Ops manual says you must fly within the limits of the aircraft operation manual.

So, yes, exceeding the limits specified in the aircraft manual would be a breach of the CAOs and thus void any insurance.

The CAOs tie you to the RAA (or HGFA) Ops and Technical manuals. At least the RAA Ops manual says you must fly within the limits of the aircraft operation manual.So, yes, exceeding the limits specified in the aircraft manual would be a breach of the CAOs and thus void any insurance.

Thanks for the response David 10.