Interesting Article

Admin

Guest burbles1

Oh dear ... that's a big concern. It doesn't matter if we think they're referring to RA-Aus - someone's going to make the connection between "recreational flyer" and "Recreational Aviation Australia". I wouldn't think the tone of this pilot's claims (e.g. parachutist activities) equates with the general attitude of recreational pilots - we would avoid parachutists instead of complaining about them - right? Just smears our good name.

Guest basscheffers

It's likely both sides doing it. However, it has been proven in studies (listen to Bill Hamilton on the ADS-B podcast) that the most likely way people avoid charges is by using incorrect or no call-sign at all, but getting everything else right. That's not a safety issue.

Making non-standard calls does not on its own indicate a safety issue; it can very much increase safety, especially if it's extra stuff to better describe your position, what you look like and who you are following. Non-standard calls that do nothing to increase safety are the likes of what REX did coming into Kingscote when I was departing there a couple of months ago: describing their position by naming an IFR waypoint.

The drop zone at Goolwa is on the dead side of 19, that's why ERSA says right hand circuits on 01 and no descending on the dead side. No issue.

GA and RPT just like complaining, not realising that most of the time they are the pot calling the kettle black...

Bass, stop complaining. hehehe :-)

I am not sure why the article jumps from "light aircraft" to "recreational aircraft". The term "recreational aircraft" might mean us but in this context I think it means "non-commercial aircraft". Just sloppy and inconsistant terminology.

Personally I hate the idea of being anywhere near the airfield when parachutists are on their way down.

Guest davidh10
Oh dear ... someone's going to make the connection between "recreational flyer" and "Recreational Aviation Australia". ...

99.9% of people have never heard of RAA and will take the article at face value... a description of the activity that the offending aircraft were engaged in at the time. I'd never heard of it ( nor any of the other bodies except CASA and ATSB) until I had to sign up for a student pilot certificate.

Recreational flying is 'every man and his dog' who hits the skies on the weekend. Something the AUF was told when they wanted to make the name change. Recreational flying is a whole lot bigger than just us.

One day some council beancounter will just invoice the RAAus as they are responsible for the members to abide by the rules IE use the radio and correct call signs.

For those who prefer to be a bit sneaky try using either ...............