Airbus Vs Boeing Testing Compared

winsor68

I posted these two Videos yesterday from Youtube to the Rec Flying Forums in response to threads developing on Qantas and safety more specifically the A380.

Now I don't know if this is relevant or a good comparison but nonetheless... I reckon there is something in this. Compare the tests between the first video and the second... The Airbus test is damn scary... the Boeing one good marketing?

One thing I do hope... That this test by Airbus came back marked FAIL.. and that the systems were redesigned before certification...and that this is not just a normal day at the office for the factory!!!

Airbus First.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzWp67PIMw

And then Boeing.

Ha ha, I'm pretty sure Airbus didn't release that video themselves.

I'd like to hear from the airline drivers amongst us, however my understanding is that the 5 minute rule is a certification requirement so all big commercial aircraft would have to be able to demonstrate compliance. That said, I reckon the Boeing video had some key bits edited out, for example I'm fairly certain that the Airbus also has fuse plugs in the rims to allow the tyres to deflate instead of the carcase literally exploding - the Boeing video conveniently didn't show that bit. A good friend who flies a 747 for a living told me a fairly hair raising story about a rejected take off only a little below V1 where they ended up on a section of runway without an easy turnaround for their size aircraft. They ground to a halt in a cloud of smoke and were very relieved to see the firecrew arrive; apparently dumping pax down the slides near burning brakes and tyres, the latter going bang quite violently, is not considered a desireable outcome, although obviously preferable to roasting them if the whole show goes up.

After a rejected take-off at max weight, the brakes are not expected to be serviceable. Any subsequent taxiing adds a lot of heat. The tyres deflate by the action of fuseable plugs that let out the high tyre pressures. Brake fires are not unusual in those circumstances either. A lot of brakes are equipped with cooling fans, but whether they would have made any difference or were used I don't know. Nev