ICOM A200 panel mount radio

G'day

My aircraft has a panel mounted ICOM A200 and I use the inbuilt intercom system which works just fine as far as I am concerned.

However my son now wants to hook up his mobile phone and music systems directly into the aircraft headsets.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to how I could do this?

Just maybe there is a magic box out there somewhere that will do the job!

Thanks and regards

Ian

Hey you beat me to it ... Dad 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif I was going to ask the question here too.

I like the look of these bluetooth units. About $260 US plus shipping.

http://www.pilotblulink.com/

But that's too easy and I'd like to build something or install something a little more permanent.

:book:In my research I found this info...

I've found the wiring diagram for the A200 and can certainly wire up AUX audio input.

http://www.rv8.ch/files/Icom%20IC-A200%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf page 5 shows the aux input pins.

My thought is to make up a four pole input plug (3.5mm) to plug the iphone into, and the rear of the plug would connect to the relevant pins on the rear of the Icom.

From the iphone cable the tip and ring 2 are left and right audio, ring three is ground and ring four is mic.

http://pinouts.ru/PortableDevices/iphone_headphone_pinout.shtml as seen here.

Is it as simple as connecting L/R Audio and ground from the 4 pin plug to aux inputs and then a jumper off the pilot mic to the mic on the iphone connector (or am I just dreaming)076_joystick.gif.1d2ed07889352a966338f6390696faff.gif ?

Any help from those electronics type gurus would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Aaron

The A200 is directly compatible with the Bendix King KY97, which I have connected a cellphone plug to.

For the cell mic connection run a 10K resistor via 0.1 uF capacitor to pin J, the pilot mic connection on the radio. Capacitor probably not essential but at your risk without.

For the cell spkr to your headsets run that to pin C, D, or 3, the aux audio into the radio.

For other misc gadgets they can use one of the aux audio inputs: C, D or 3

Ralph

The A200 is directly compatible with the Bendix King KY97, which I have connected a cellphone plug to.For the cell mic connection run a 10K resistor via 0.1 uF capacitor to pin J, the pilot mic connection on the radio. Capacitor probably not essential but at your risk without.

For the cell spkr to your headsets run that to pin C, D, or 3, the aux audio into the radio.

Ralph

G'day Ralph,

Just the answer I was looking for! Thanks very much. The Icom and Bendix look like the same unit.

My phone output is stereo (iPhone) so should I connect left to pin C and right to pin D and the ground to pin 4? The intercom is mono so that's all I'll get in the headset but at least I wont miss out on half the song / conversation.

Cheers Aaron

• 7 months later...
The A200 is directly compatible with the Bendix King KY97, which I have connected a cellphone plug to.For the cell mic connection run a 10K resistor via 0.1 uF capacitor to pin J, the pilot mic connection on the radio. Capacitor probably not essential but at your risk without.

Ralph

So just run the resistor and capacitor between the iphone and input J?

Bill

Yes use a 10 K resistor to pin J. It may be OK without the capacitor, depending on the particular phone.

The resistor is to reduce the high level of audio that will overload most phones without

Ralph

Yes use a 10 K resistor to pin J. It may be OK without the capacitor, depending on the particular phone.The resistor is to reduce the high level of audio that will overload most phones without

Ralph

Ralph

Thanks, will try it out this weekend.

Bill