Muffler Cracks

tecnamman

Hi there fellow Tecnam flyers....just a quick one I found today. Removed the exhaust pipes and muffler IAW Service Bulletin 16 UL ( Exhaust pipes reinforcement - mandatory) and discovered cracking in the muffler mantle. This topic is covered in SB 10 UL (Muffler spring attachments rings inspection - recommendation ). The cracks were in the area as described in SB 10 and require welding ( I inspected the muffler for cracks in the affected area when the SB first came out in early 2008 and again in 2009 ).They were visible to my 'advanced' middle aged eyes ,and under a 10 X magnifier were easily identified.

I don't know if this a common problem in older a/c, but suspect it might be as my engine has only done 160 hours on the air switch...haven't been doin much aviating of late.

Would be keen to know the experience of other Tecnam jockeys out there regards this one.

Cheers for now

Guest Maj Millard

Don't know if it's a particular tecnam problem, or just the standard Rotax cracking that you can get when things are set up with a bit of stress in the system. Have the cracks weld repaired by someone who knows Stainless, and look at the set up to see if everything is happily situated...................................................Maj