New Viking engine

Kyle Communications

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In January the D-Motor 4 cyl was going to cost $23,000 ex local agent and the 912 $25,000

Had I purchased the D-motor direct from the factory it would have been about $3,000 cheaper delivered to Brisbane using airfreight.

• Agree 1

Had I purchased the D-motor direct from the factory it would have been about $3,000 cheaper delivered to Brisbane using airfreight.

Hard call isn't it, get burnt locally or if you import yourself and then have a problem later, then who do you turn to.

• Agree 1

wow that would be good for the Rans S20...any idea on the rough weight too?....similar to a 912 would be good :)...may not be possible I suppose but a couple of kilos either way wouldnt matter

Nope sorry, first cab off the rank will be a good 20kgs on the Rotax, I don't have anywhere near their development budget. My long engine weighs the same as a complete Rotax.

More realistic to compare to a Viking, 70% the price, more powerful/torque and brand new engine (BTW, I don't have anything against Vikings use of 30 to 40K kms used engines but seems you're paying $12K USD for the conversion kit? Wow.).

I got a quote from the Dmotor guy here in OZ 2 weeks ago for the 125HP 6 cyclinder and it was around $31,500 delivered to my door inc GST.

More than 50% dearer than same spec CAE assuming it includes everything like exhaust prop adapter etc etc

Importing makes things expensive and a fit for these AU engines can be seen

That's an awful lot of money! You can have my aeroplane complete with 1600hrs engine for the same amount! It Looks like Jan's Viking is winner in the price/HP stakes. I wonder if you can insure against non-delivery? I think that the Viking is very good in spite of Jan rather than because of..................Good kit.....

• Agree 2

so the numbers aren't actually tested by Jan they are just copied off Honda's PR blurb?

I can't confirm that. It's worth noting that this wasn't the case with the earlier Viking 100, which had less peak power than the standard Honda engine.

2 things;1/ The Viking uses used engines from wreckers, the L15B has only been out for a year.

2/ The L15B is Direct Injection ... end of story for a light aircraft (aftermarket scenerio).

I have extreme doubt there is a retail 130hp Viking engine available not that I have any problem with the 110 - 115hp version.

With regard to serial 1, they are available from wreckers, and of course, it is easier to get low time L15B than the L15A7. With serial 2, I'm not sure what you have in mind with regard to the aftermarket.

The 130 is the only engine being sold by Eggenfelner, the 110 was discontinued. Of course, "addito salis grano" with any recipe containing Eggenfelner as an ingredient is well advised.

But it seems a legitimate enough power/torque claim, and within the stated design parameters of the reduction drive. However, as in the past, any reliability data gathered from the in service engines is now no longer applicable.

Regards,

Paul

Saccani, I am referring to the logistics of setting up a L15B Direct Injection engine outside of it's origin, it's difficult, expensive and unsafe relative to flying environment.

But anyway, either way I think it's a reasonable package, I have some minor complaints and things I would do differently and some of Jan's performance figures are simply wrong as you can not change physics ...

... but at the end of the day it's getting a few people in the sky a bit more economically and reliably, and that's what's important so the numbers are really just talk.

How much for just one? You could buy a decent car for that.I am acutely aware more than anyone else of the position I have put myself into on a confidence level about my engine program, but it is actually all happening and about to start setting up factory etc.

FaNtAsTiC News Bexrbetter, I look forward to seeing the product come to the market in due time. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Saccani, I am referring to the logistics of setting up a L15B Direct Injection engine outside of it's origin, it's difficult, expensive and unsafe relative to flying environment.

Well, you're working in that field, I'll take your word for it. I would have thought it would be fairly straight forward (but not trivial), other than in the redundancy of the high pressure side. All the variable valve timing and so on, you would fix in place, I can't see how something like SDS would have an issue with control. As an aside, I see that Viking are selling their old redrive, for the L15A7 for US$3,000. I'm *really* looking forward to hearing about your project. ;)

Regards,

Paul