RV-12 forced landing, Gold Coast

Spin

An RV-12 suffered an apparent engine failure and put down successfully on or next to a rural road in the Jacobs Well area this morning. First reports are that damage is relatively minor - by the time I drove past there was a major scrum including Ch 7 news, so I decided not to add to things and stop for a photo, although it appeared like a collapsed nosewheel and a scraped wingtip. Very impressive and speedy response by the emergency authorities including the EMQ helicopter - thank goodness they were not actually necessary:clap:011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif. Well done to the pilot for the successful landing - there are an awful lot of smallish powerlines along the roads thereabouts.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like everyone made it out alive.Aren't RV12s Rotax powered?

Yes, so there must have been too much air in the carbies.lol Seriously though, even though they a extremely reliable, being built by humans means that they can fail.It will be interesting to know what the cause was.

Now you are being silly. I know everyone likes to knock the Jabs, but Rotax are not immune from trouble. there are so many things that can stop an engine that it's not funny. I am thinking about first flight fo a new plane andlooking at all the possibilities, so many that are not specific to any make.

RAA rego'd RV7??...doubt it.....

Yup there's one out there, for sale for some time and been the subject of heated debate as to just how the builder managed to add that degree of lightness:oh yeah:

Back to the subject at hand, the aircraft concerned is a recently completed (within last few weeks) RV-12, hence Rotax 912 powered. I didn't want to get in the pilot's face afterward and ask the inevitable questions, but speaking to another pilot who got airborne shortly before the RV, he called engine out at 800' and immediately set about looking for somewhere to put her down. There was a short clip on Qld 7 news this evening, bit more damage than I saw in passing, undercarriage damaged, L wingtip damaged and nasty gouge outboard on the R leading edge.

Rather nice to see fellow pilots shutting the media out, they didn't even seem able to ID the pilot:clap:011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif, only person who commented was a bystander who reckons the plane clipped a pole on the way down and slewed into a paddock. Sad to see a lovely little aircraft hurt, but a good result none the less.

By the way student pilot, which site misidentified the RV model?:thumb_down:

From last month's members market;

RV-7 19-7123. 90 hrs TT, Superior IO-360 180 hp, Sensenich metal prop, 150 kt @ 28 lph, 3,000 fpm climb. Analog panel

contains ASI, VSI, ALT, Tacho, oil temp, oil pres, 4 way CHT & EGT, G-meter, fuel pres, manifold pres, amps,

volts, 2 fuel gauges, Icom A210 VHF with intercom, Garmin mode C transponder, SIRS compass, key start &

glove box. Dual brakes, electric flaps, sliding canopy, leather upholstery. Price reduced due to unpainted.

Further reduced for urgent sale $129,000 + GST. Will deliver. .............. SA

Guest Maj Millard

Lets remember that around 60% of engine failures are fuel related (or lack thereof). Often newly built systems are subceptable to problems......................Would the pilot be a forum member ?...............................................Maj...

What a disappointment for the pilot/owner/builder, assuming they are one and the same. Both RGMWA and I, as RV-12 builders, will be very interested to hear the reason for the EFATO. Any Forum members with more info - please post.

Good to see the airframe can take a substantial knock and not deform though.

Cheers

Denmit

Posted on VAF forums this afternoon;

It was my RV12 down <hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> Have just managed to get into the RV12 forum site and thought would explain what happened to my plane last saturday. As it was reported I was flying along at 1000 feet when the motor just stopped. ( i think the gear box seized)

Made my calls and headed for a road which I knew I could land on, As luck had it there were no cars on the road, but when I touched down on the road I was unable to use the brakes for nose steering and went over a ditch which wiped off my under carriage and then hit a light pole with my wing and came to a stop about 30 feet after that. I now have the plane home and find there is extensive damage to wings, all the under carriage centre and nose have to be replaced which is quite extensive. Fuseage, side panels and panels under fuseage will have to be replaced as I will also have to order one wing spar plus numerous wing ribs etc etc. I was pretty confident about putting the plane down as I have been flying for many years but the one thing I did not like on the rv12 was brake steering and thats what brought me undone.

Just to let you know it is a great airplane and hope to have it back in the air in 6 months. Thanks everybody for your good wishes and keep in touch.

Wonder why he was "unable" to use the brakes for steering?

I wondered about that too, although I could imagine that keeping directional control in a forced landing using differential braking would be more tricky than braking with the assistance of a steerable nosewheel. Could be wrong though.

rgmwa