Fun with my ASIC?

sabbasolo

I visit Australia a few times a year. Last visit I couldn't fly from YMMB because I only had an AVID and not an ASIC.

Now I have my new ASIC, and I can fly here again.

It let me to wonder - can I do anything useful with the ASIC when flying commercially domestic or internationally?

I asked today a security guy at MEL at the employee entrance to the customs area and he said if the card says AUS I would be able to enter. Having just arrived in Australia I didn't try it.

Should be able to get discounts on your coffee at the airport, never tried it as I don't like coffee.... but I've heard of people doing it. Not sure who and how... but yeah!

ASIC very useful as ID when checking in for commercial flights. I usually produce mine and request an emergency exit window-seat (more legroom). Usually get it. Airport workers can obtain discounts on food and beverage purchases in the food halls. You have to eat a hell of a lot of airport food to recover the cost of your ASIC, and you'd probably die from malnutrition in the process! I also usually leave mine uppermost in the tray at security and walk through the metal-detectors as if I owned the whole damn airport. (I have paid enough tax to own at least part of it!)

On those occasions I have inadvertantly left it on going through security I have not been "sniffed" for explosives. On those occasions when I have remembered to take it off I have been 'sniffed" four times - by people who admit to knowing nothing about explosives, because I make a point of asking them.

As it happens, I handle single-based (nitroglycerine) and double-based (nitroglycerine & nitrocellulose) propellants when reloading for rifle and shotgun cartridges so I do know something about explosives, and also where to look for traces, such as in the turn-ups of trousers, inside jacket-pockets etc where dust collects over time. This dust is a complete history of where the clothes - and the wearer - have been. BTW, these techniques are not new, the Gestapo were using this in WW2...our airport explosives sniffers are inadequately trained for their task, IMNSHO.

The ASIC was a knee-jerk reaction by a bunch of jerks to a series of hypothetical threats to the security of air-travellers. If the authorities were serious about airport security, they'd learn how to do it from the Israelis. But the ASIC makes the travelling public feel that something is being done, and that's all that really matters. The shadow, not the substance.

Tomo and Dieselten... You are right about producing your ASIC when checking in for commercial flights. A good idea and likely to get you looked after a little bit better... just don't be pushy about it. lol. I would go further and produce it when checking into Motels as well... You would be amazed at the number of places that will give "Industry" rates.

I always get a discount on my coffee if I am wearing my ASIC at one of the large airports...at the last board meeting some of the others asked why I was wearing my ASIC when we were waiting for our flights...I said watch this...purchased a coffee and it was nearly half the price that they paid 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

The RAAus one is australia-wide. As Winsor said, you have to have a lawfull reason to be there. Since I don't drink coffee any more seems most of the benefit is lost to me. I'm with Diesel10. Also being airside these days makes you a target for 1/4 trained nerds to harass you. People who know what they are doing don't do it. They just acknowledge it, and you pass through. Nev

Don't forget... next time you book in to accommodation produce the ASIC and ask if they have "industry" rates. Works for me... and I can't see any reason it would not work even if you are only flying privately as they never seem to ask any questions.

NB. I don't fly for a living but use my ASIC in my airline job.

I produced mine at the Business class window with American Airlines to L A and asked if there were any upgrades. $800 later I was at the front of the plane. A saving of a couple of grand.

Tried the same on the way back with Qantas but no go.

I consider that I am well in front even without the coffees.

Guest basscheffers
I have only had mine inspected by authorities 6-7 times and never a comment.

I'm not talking about the authorities, I'm wondering about the airport coffee shops! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Would 'Just wanted to check out this side of the airport to see how much different it is to my home airport and possibly get ideas of how we can upgrade the terminal at my home field to make it more efficient' be a lawful reason to be there??

Nope, they are incredibly strict on what they consider to be a 'lawful reason'. It's basically you're either working airside or you have permission to be airside. You need to have permission from the aerodrome operator as well. I know this because I wanted to take some pictures at YPPH and was allowed to do so on the condition I applied for a press pass as well as displaying my ASIC. Wasn't worth the trouble...

At Jandakot I've only just started to wear my ASIC after looking up whether or not it was a requirement. Only a few people wear them but it's mandatory for everyone to have them displayed. FYI anyone who is under 18 doesn't have to pay the security check fee, I paid $98 for mine and it was delivered in just over a week.

-Andrew

And note...

This also means... if you are not actively working (i.e. day off or on a break) it is unlawful.

For instance if I was on my lunch break and my family was travelling it would be illegal to use my ASIC to go and wave goodbye from airside... In fact I have always made it a point just to be on the safe of DOTARAS to stay isolated from family if they are travelling well airside wearing an ASIC. Sure its a load of bollocks because if I am working my family could be in the security lounge seeing someone off on a Qantas flight and I could be boarding a flight through the next gate having by-passed all security screening via the back door... but if 10 minutes later I knocked off and decided to go to the security lounge with the family to see someone off I would then have to pass through the normal security... but you gotta play by "their" rules or you may be in BIG trouble and having a clean ASIC pays for the flying.