(WANTED) CASA VFR-G original printed book

Just wondering if anyone has a CASA Visual Flight Rules Guide they would like to sell? (I know these are essentially out of date) but for general reading - I prefer books than .PDFs and/or print outs.

If anyone is interested in selling a copy - please PM me.

Better still - CASA - please put this back into print! 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

Thank you kindly.

AV8A

AV8,

I'm not sure whether it's legal to use an out of date VFRG, you should be able to take these to a printing shop and they'll print it for you.

Regards,

Andrew

AV8A,

Ian has the printed VFRGuide for sale in the shop. The book is smaller, spiral bound and better quality than just A4 printouts. There's talk about re-issuing in print - CASA has just released the latest printed Visual Pilot guides for the secondary airports - CASA online store.

Sue

PS - you can use an out of date edition as these guides are not a mandatory requirement - it is only a guide which attempts to round up the requirements in an easy to understand format and points you to the Act, Regulations etc which are the final arbiter of your behaviour. For example if the Guide says turn left, but the Act says turn Right, then the Act prevails.

AV8A

The problem with going down that route is the endless number of procedure changes and updates; it's only really worth reading as a history book, and frustrating when you are trying to keep your precision and recency up.

Getting Officeworks to print up the latest electronic version wouldn't be that expensive

Guest davidh10

An Android mobile phone with a decent screen such as the HTC Desire is great for bed time reading of PDFs. Just turn it to landscape to avoid needing to scroll horizontally. I have been told iPhones are not so good with PDFs, so your mileage may vary.

I still have the last print version and held onto it for the same reason you have indicated, however almost every time I go to look it up, I go for the PDF or I go to the legislation (also in PDF).

The issue with printing the PDF is that it is not organised well for printing on A4 paper as the pages are consecutive. The options would be:-

• Enlarge to A4 size and print double sided. This gives you a large print version ;-).

• Guillotine enough A4 sheets into A5 and print double sided. I haven't seen A5 paper for sale anywhere although maybe a professional print shop would guillotine A4 for you, particularly if you get them to print it.

• Print on A4 at correct A5 size, two pages per sheet, one sided and then guillotine all sheets. This gives you one sided pages that will result in a booklet that is twice as thick, but doesn't waste half the sheet, although one side is wasted.

The other issue, once you print it, is binding something that thick. Unless you have an office binding solution that suits, then a professional printer is the only practical option to keep it as one bind(er).

Note: You cannot use the Acrobat "Print Booklet" functionality with a document with this many pages, and which you cannot break apart.

The best option is if CASA again publish it in print. I thought I'd been told that they were going to wait a while in case further changes were needed.

Thanks David, I have an iPhone but find it too small. I was thinking maybe I need to bite the bullet and consider getting an iPad, they seem to be the way to go these days. Jeppesen have FAA approval to for their own 'APP' that displays maps, airsports etc. http://www.recreationalflying.com/showthread.php/138496-FAA-approval-of-iPad-EFB-for-Executive-Jet-paves-way-for-industry. I am sure it only a matter of time before CASA allows somthing similar here in Oz (edit. its CASA - make that 10 -20 years).

I am surprised there isnt a nominated publisher that produces these on demand for a nominal fee. I work in various industries, printing being one of them. I might put the feelers out and see if I can get a book printer/binder to quote to reproduce the book? Obviously this would be cheaper to get a 'quantity' of these done.

Perhaps if there are any others who would find this useful we could arrange somthing through an expression of interest? Does this forum allow a 'group buy' scenario amongst its members if undertaken in a not for profit capacity?

Another member has contacted me and I may be able to get a book from him. But I imagine there are others who would like this in print in its current valid state? I am happy to do the exercise and investigate this if there is interest and the forum allows it.

Guest davidh10

You may run foul of the copyright conditions with such a scheme.

While it is a commission to reproduce a personal copy, no issue, IMHO, but when it becomes copying for a group, I think that may not be compliant.

Thanks David, I was just thinking it might make life a little easier for all concerned. As useful as CASA is - it should perhaps print this on demand/backorder (every 90 days or so) or in limited numbers for those who still find this a handy resource.

Guest davidh10

Just a wild thought. Ask CASA for a license to print on a cost recovery basis, for a group of interested people, if they don't plan to go to print in a reasonable timeframe.

I may have been partly responsible for your frustration.

With Unrestricted PPL you could order free of charge material to suit your local area, or the whole of Australia.

I wanted to fly all over the place, so I ordered the lot

The predecessor of CASA then sent these four ring binders with the original regulations/maps/etc and another pack of a couple of hundred updates

I then received on average a letter with addendums/updates/errors/additions about every three days, and once every couple of months had to sit down and take the old sections out of the binders and replace them with news sections.

The replacements always had to be date sorted first because there were amendments to amendments to amendments

Active Low Jet Routes were the worst - they seemed to be all over Australia in places you would never expect them, and I certainly became very wary before filling out any Flight Plan - you do all check these routes npw don't you? the routes where our defence aircraft use Terrain Following Radare with their heads inside the cockpit as they fly flat stick at 500 feet?

This was the Base Document with amendments beloved of the Department of Civil Aviation etc etc.

Fast forward to Dotars, and we had to use the same system to design and build trucks. There was usually only one binder in the company, it was usually out of date, and it often took weeks of phone calls just to find out what was legal this week before committing to multi million dollar projects.

I'd got into computers early and by the late eighties I'd had enough of this frustrating system. It came to a head in a phone call with a Dotars guy who was telling me the critical information was in the latest update of the Australian Design Rules, and the manual had been sitting for months waiting for qualified proof reading but they didn't have anyone top do it.

He was petrified of the cost impact of a mistake, since the manual would be around for a few years.

Whatever it was was crucial for me to get production started to I told him to publish the thing online as a living document, ie continually updated and corrected as information came to hand, and pointed out that met best practice for public liability, and within a short time no one in the industry would be printing off a copy, knowing it would be out of date in a week, so we wouild always be referring to the latest online data, which meant that most mistakes would have been corrected before we saw them.

So he did it, and today Dotars, which includes CASA has one of the best online communication systems in the world.....if you are good at searching.

So I'm sorry for that.

I'm in the same boat as you; I can absorb and concentrate a lot better looking at a book, and navigating by the pages.

I notice Amazon sell Kindles, and have converted a lot of books to that system, but if you really want to make yourself a multi millionaire, just come up with an ultralight A4 communicating screen which is comfortable to hold in your hands and read while in bed.