Greeting from Kentucky

Gkramer707

Hello to all,

I found this site while trying to research the origins of the Savannah and Zenith 701 designs. Having flown the Savannah VGW, I like the design. Some guys in the hangar area are completing a Zenith 750 with a Jabiru 2200. They are getting some time in the Savannah to prepare for their first flight.

Cheers

Guest burbles1

G'day Gkramer,

Welcome to the forum! The Savannah is popular in Australia and you'll find a lot of happy fliers on this forum.

707, now there's a plane that scared more than a few people. Welcome mate happy to have you on board. Instead of pics that Rocket asked for, how about a video or two, not only of the build, but also your local flying area. We can bear a mug shot if it's included. They breed them tough down here:-))

• 3 weeks later...
707, now there's a plane that scared more than a few people. Welcome mate happy to have you on board. Instead of pics that Rocket asked for, how about a video or two, not only of the build, but also your local flying area. We can bear a mug shot if it's included. They breed them tough down here:-))

The Savannah VGW we have is a S-LSA factory built aircraft built in Paris, TN by Skykits.com. We have dual sticks, adjustable rudder pedals, dual brakes, Dynon PFD with analog engine guages, carpeting, electric elevator trim, electric flaps, regular 6 ply aircraft tires, two way radio, and transponder. ROTAX 912ULS with a IMG_0687.JPG.240d8c62704290d8648cfc86e7d0a6d8.JPG 3 blade Kiev prop.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Welcome 707, Great looking Savvy you have there. I look foward to reading your future posts...I fly a localally produced product, an Australian Lightwing (photo attached)P1010220.jpg.1c5ace418b499e792e961669c150bb52.jpg ..............Cheers Maj

742485930_Tomosphotos.jpg.807a307f376a610d074738d992b2572e.jpg

Hi Maj,

didn't realize that you had such a beautiful looking Lightwing. Ever thought of fitting a propeller nose cone??

It might not make it go any faster but it sure would make it look as though it did.

Gob Smacked Alan.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Alan I would agree. I have seen Lightwings with spinners and they look slick. It is on my list, but things like a transponder and a couple of trips South to meet and visit Tomo got in the way last year. I also run a 3 blade powerfin prop from the US, and I just haven't had time to dig up a suitable spinner.......................Cheers for now, Maj....

Hey Maj that looks very similar to the one I'm planning to do tailwheel training in in very shortly. Any tips or quirks I should know about? Is yours a 2S Rotax?

Gkramer707 - welcome! Kentucky is one of my favourite parts of the USA, been there several times now (but never ventured into Louisville).

Guest Maj Millard

Gnarly, Yes mine is a 100hp S . lightwings aren't taildraggers that'll try and bite you real quick. On take off the tail comes up pretty quick with a little foward stick, then center the stick and it'll lift off with a touch of backstick when ready. Keep straight with light rudder as required.

Landings depend a bit on wether you have the standard wing with flaps, or without flaps. Most standard wings don't have flaps as they are an option.

The standard wing will float down the runway a bit in the flare, especially if your a bit fast, and won't want to drop on until the speed slows. Just assume the standard three-point landing attitude with tail slightly low during this time and be ready for it to drop on. They can have a tendency to bounce a little, so you have two options. If it's only a low bounce keep the stick firmly full back and it will settlle on the next bounce...or slip a little power into it which will keep it flying down the runway and just reduce power and have another go at three poimting it.

If you lay down and have a look at the area on the belly of a Lightwing, it's quite substantial, and it's this plus the big wing area that makes them float a bit sometimes. Once you get used to it, it'll be fine.

I usually pull the throttle to idle over the fence and just bleed the speed off until touchdown. You can do a wheeler landing, but the Lightwing prefers a full stick back three-pointer.

Like any taildragger, if you come in too fast and try and force it on , it'll complain and probabily want to bounce. Always be ready to feed a little throttle in if needed.

The standard wing with flaps lands completely different, and doesn't have much tendency to float. It just flys right in and lands, which makes for better short-field performance.

As far as rudder goes they generally need very little as they track pretty straight both on take off, and after landing. I only use the brakes for taxying and run-ups, and towards the end of the landing roll. They aren't very effective which is fine in a taildragger or you'll end up on your nose.

Hope this helps, enjoy your check-out, and get back to me if I can help further................Cheers Maj...