My Iphone/Smart Phone Flying Apps - Tell Us What Flying Related Apps You Have

Relfy

There has been a lot of talk on here about different APPs (Computer Program Applications) for smart phones and the information now available through these different apps. This thread is for everyone with a smart phone to list their flying related apps so others can see what they are using and perhaps even update to use something others use.

As you update and add more apps, you can come back in here and update/edit your post with the new details.

I use the following on my Iphone for flying-

1. Ozrunways

2. Oz weather (BOM radar)

3. Itorch4 (pre-flight nspections and in case of emergency, handy flashing strobe with sos also)

4. Google Earth App

5. Browser Bookmarks- Airservices Australia Website, BOM Website Radars, Elders Weather,

6. Horizon (Artificial Horizon, for fun and not an actual instrument)

What do others have and use for flying purposes?

- AeroWeather

- AirCheck

- Air Nav Free

- Dial-a-WIS

- LiveATC

- Pilot Time

- PilotWiz

- TouchPlan HD (not so good, unfortunately)

- EFB

- OZRunways

Thanks, JRMobile for the link- very nice. Also, based on my reading here, I'm probably going to buy NAIPS soon.

Hi All

I have been looking around at aviation apps there is heaps of them so not sure on which way to go with them so will be keeping an eye on this thread...I will get a Ipad2 in the next few weeks a 64gb one with 3g..basically will be used in the aircraft most of the time...looking for Nav apps and of course the one locally with all the ersa stuff and maps that looks great

Mark

Currently evaluating PocketFMS on HTC HD2 phone, seems to work fine, cheaper than buying a Garmin and then having to buy a desktop planning app as well.

But it will only be cheaper if it works 100% though.

Bruce

• 6 months later...

I am still waiting for the killer app for tablets but in the meantime I am using "My Tracks" for android on an HTC Desire to record my tracks, heights and speeds to overlay to my planned tracks and checking out the squareness of my circuits. I can export to Google Earth formats as a permanent record.

For planning and enroute, I still use maps and paper and pencil and rulers and whizzwheel. My upgrade will be to use chinagraph pencil on the side window and my phone to record a trip log.

Col 050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

I'm the first one to say smart phones are awesome and love all the apps out there for flying as well ,,,but my last flight I had on the weekend , I used nothing ,,,, my HTC remained in my pocket and the flight was Great :)

• Like 3

Has anybody used Avsoft .I have OzRunways but before I spend my money

Opinions Please.

Peter

G'day Peter,

I installed it to give it a go (trial period) and must say - not impressed. It always crashed on me while I was downloading maps (on WiFi) and I could not actually get into the app itself.

Unfortunately for them, I'm one one those kind of customers that try something out before buying; and if it don't work 100% after a little bit of self-troubleshooting - I'll dump it quick as, and won't look back.

However, everybody's experience will be different. You should install it yourself and see how it goes for you.

Good luck.

I looked at Air Navigation, and have paid for NAIPS and OzRunways after my trial expired, but I have to say there's still space for a well-designed app that seamlessly supports VFR Pilot Workflow.

By that, I mean something that I can open a map on in the morning and mark out my intended route. Display weather forecast, airspace, check NOTAMS. Make my own annotations where I wish. Put in fuel load and it incorporates range and reserves. Program in an alternate. Check ERSAs and link them to waypoints, together with my own notes that can be pulled up - perhaps as tap waypoints on the map.

Enroute, it updates my logbook, tracks my course, and highlights deviations from the calculated plan, including impact on range. Weather radar, even public SSR feeds, can be pulled up. I can set pop-up reminders based on range from a waypoint, terms, or fuel state - such as a reminder to change frequency or call ahead.

While we're at it, why not proximity alarms linked to SSR feeds, airspace tracking, and other users of the app based on projected course. Maybe even a friend locator. The option to upload your track to a website for friends at your destination to check your position and ETA.

The thing is - most of these exist as separate apps, and each new one becomes a "must have". We may soon be the point where juggling between the "must have" apps becomes a distraction in its own right. (It could be argued that all this automation reduces Airmanship, but the genie is out of that bottle, and most of us appreciate the danger of complacency). The trick is doing all this in one app with excellent workflow, usability, and stable :-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

1, 2, 5 & 6.

Google Eart I didn't find very good on the iPhones small screen so I removed it.

When preparing to committ aviation the most useful to me are:

2. OzRadar - to time flights between weather cells on those long X-Country trips.

5. for more general weather info and Airservices Australia info like NAIPS.

• 3 weeks later...

Been using iPad 2 3G with additional GNS bluetooth GPS. Works a treat, and a very powerful tool for emails and the web, when back in the room (or tent). Still carry the ERSA onboard and maps onboard though.

Before flight I log in and use Eflite tm for W & B, and send it to myself on email for printing.

Air Nav Pro - Love it and the best planning tool I have found and very useful in the cockpit as a moving map display. Bit expensive buying the maps, but once you have them they are yours and survive during Apple upgrades. Gives clear Airspace areas, and zoom in zoom out function is easy using two finger Apple method. You can set up your own waypoints, and change between charts easily or overlay charts. Head up or North up function works well. Easy to move around Waypoints after route has been created.

I've tested and trust and use the raw data and apply it through Sportys E6B (flight computer) app. to write up my kneeboard. Easy Peasy.

NAIPS - very useful tool for weather info . Great tool for flight planning and lodgement, once the kneeboard has been written up and you are ready to go. Have used this in the room before a flight and sometimes in the cockpit before a flight to lodge plan and Sartime.

OzRunways - These guys have it nailed, but I find their newly introduced flight planning not as good as Air Nav Pro. But that may just be me! It has the electronic ERSA so Runways are available to you, but good to carry the Country strip books as well, if heading away to the bush. With easy map chooser and secondary moving map for the cockpit I can load up the ERC low and change to it from time to time to see I am on the right frequency. Nice to have the electroniuc AIP as well, and not such a need to keep up the paper version now.

Pkt Weather - Simple and easy and just add your destination to get the daily weather forecast up to 7 days. Nice window to OzRadar functionality that I have used live to skirt around showers.

Trails - Nice little App that picks up your GPS and leaves a snail trail on the map of where you have been.

Dial a Wiz - got onto this nice little number for my iPhone and have used it quite a bit, to get local weather, both in the planning and the flight stage.

I am pushing the developers of Air NAv Pro to link to ZAON XRX PCAS system. Foreflight (only good for US) has already got it and it links via Bluetooth to Garmin, Bendix/King, AvMap etc. so it will only be a matter of time before it is on the iPad app in Oz. See http://www.zaon.aero/content/blogcategory/30/47/

Coming from a commercial boating background, where GPS and moving map technoligy, linked to Radar and AIS has been used for years, it will be a great safety aid to virtually see other danger aircraft on your screen. This in my view is the next big thing for AUS flying. and it is not too expensive at all.

I looked at Air Navigation, and have paid for NAIPS and OzRunways after my trial expired, but I have to say there's still space for a well-designed app that seamlessly supports VFR Pilot Workflow.By that, I mean something that I can open a map on in the morning and mark out my intended route. Display weather forecast, airspace, check NOTAMS. Make my own annotations where I wish. Put in fuel load and it incorporates range and reserves. Program in an alternate. Check ERSAs and link them to waypoints, together with my own notes that can be pulled up - perhaps as tap waypoints on the map.

Enroute, it updates my logbook, tracks my course, and highlights deviations from the calculated plan, including impact on range. Weather radar, even public SSR feeds, can be pulled up. I can set pop-up reminders based on range from a waypoint, terms, or fuel state - such as a reminder to change frequency or call ahead.

While we're at it, why not proximity alarms linked to SSR feeds, airspace tracking, and other users of the app based on projected course. Maybe even a friend locator. The option to upload your track to a website for friends at your destination to check your position and ETA.

The thing is - most of these exist as separate apps, and each new one becomes a "must have". We may soon be the point where juggling between the "must have" apps becomes a distraction in its own right. (It could be argued that all this automation reduces Airmanship, but the genie is out of that bottle, and most of us appreciate the danger of complacency). The trick is doing all this in one app with excellent workflow, usability, and stable :-)

dont know if the maps are available your end of the globe but I use skydemon planning and flight software it gives weather notams flight times fuel consumption wind direction speeds etc for each leg of the journey all in all a great piece of kit