Here we go!!

pudestcon

I mentioned in the previous post I would like to report from time to time about flying for fun.

Well Pol and I went for an early morning flight a couple of weeks ago, just half an hour around Wirraway Farm was all. But what a great morning, crispy cool, some light fog about, Pol in the right hand seat getting into my headphones with his 'North Gabbin verbal diarrhoea'003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif........

With the air so cool it was hands off flying and turns could be made in balance with just aileron and no rudder input. I had 500kms of driving to do that day, and that half hour flight set me up for a great day - sensational!!

Check out some photos I have posted in the album called "A cool morning with Gaygirl" and tell me what you think.

Pud

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pics alright Pud, but "Cool Morning"?? Must be some kind of North Gabbin understatement! I'll bet you had the cockpit heater up full blast!

Which one did you say was the good looking one? I must have missed that pic!

Cheers

rgmwa

Nice pics alright Pud, but "Cool Morning"?? Must be some kind of North Gabbin understatement! I'll bet you had the cockpit heater up full blast!Which one did you say was the good looking one? I must have missed that pic!

Cheers

rgmwa

Hehehe. Yeah Pol is an ugly looking buggar eh?

It wasn't too bad flying around actually, although you probably wouldn't want to be up there for an hour or 2. It did seem to warm up in the half hour anyway. Maybe we just got used to the conditions.

Pol took a lot of the photos with my point and shoot Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7. It's a really great little camera that I like a lot.

Pud

Guest davidh10

Looks like a great flight. The retreating fog helps make a flight special from a visual perspective. Nice pics, Pud.

I find, as do others in trikes, that the fingers cop the cold most. They actually get colder than you realise and can be quite painful as they warm up again on the ground. Even double gloved, I often alternately sit on each hand, for a bit, to mitigate the cold when the temperature is 6 degrees and below.

Looks like a great flight. The retreating fog helps make a flight special from a visual perspective. Nice pics, Pud.I find, as do others in trikes, that the fingers cop the cold most. They actually get colder than you realise and can be quite painful as they warm up again on the ground. Even double gloved, I often alternately sit on each hand, for a bit, to mitigate the cold when the temperature is 6 degrees and below.

I went looking for my gloves prior to this flight but could not find them. As is always the way, I located the gloves after the flight:doh:

I can imagine the conditions in a trike; copping the full brunt of the wind all the time. I've never been in a trike so must give it a go sometime.

Pud

Guest davidh10
I went looking for my gloves prior to this flight but could not find them. As is always the way, I located the gloves after the flight:doh:I can imagine the conditions in a trike; copping the full brunt of the wind all the time. I've never been in a trike so must give it a go sometime.

Pud

As I have a tall windscreen, wind isn't too bad on my body, except for gusts, but the hands cop it, as you usually grip the control bar outboard of the windscreen. Of course if you aren't getting chucked around, you can move your hands in behind the windscreen and at least get them out of the slipstream.

From the perspective of being in an open cockpit, the experience is similar to a Drifter.

Well that wouldn't be so bad then, you'd be going soft with all that comfort!!. I really like the Drifter - I did all my ab initio training in one at Narrogin back in the 9o's.

Pud

• 2 weeks later...

We have had a bit of discussion on this thread, in page 20, regarding enticing 'the other half' to come flying, and I stated it wasn't going to happen for me.

Well, I was about to do a preflight on Sunday afternoon with just Gay and myself at the hangar, when Gay quietly said "I think I might come for a fly with you". Well that sat me back and made me quite nervous!! I spent extra time in doing a thorough daily inspection, making sure everything was just as it should be, after all, it's not every day I get to take the most important person in my life for a fly:smile:

So I said to Gay that I'd do a few circuits to make sure I was current, then if she was still sure, she could hop in and we'd go do a few circuits. My circuits were uneventful with a 7 knot crosswind from 06 on taking of on 10. There was a little turbulence on late final from the trees to the North of the strip but no problems. I landed and shut down to give Gay a full briefing on what would happen; I wanted her 1st flight to be an enjoyable, uneventful and positive experience. I explained the process for settling into the Thruster and where to place her feet, and what controls there were, and how to operate the harness, and probably 1ooo other things as I chattered on. I could tell she was nervous, and so was I:wink: as I made a 'Clear the propeller' call to the swallows (birds) who have set up residence in the hangar - well there was no other living creature around, to alert I was about to start up!! The trusty 582 burst into life and as it was warming up I talked through what we would do, where she could hold on, and to let me know if she wanted to land sooner than we had planned. I explained, as Gay was a little apprehensive about flying in an aircraft with no doors, that I would make gentle left turns so she would feel a bit safer. Then it was time to back track for take off on 10 so we taxiied to the threshold where I did a run up, ignition check, and my other standard pre-takeoff checks. Then, after asking Gay if she was ready to go, and receiving an affirmative answer, I applied the power for a smooth takeoff roll and climb out. To make Gay feel a bit more at ease I talked through the whole process around the circuit, did a touch and go, and set up for a full stop as it was getting cold so late in the afternoon - maybe 10 or 15 minutes before sun down, and we were going out to the local hotel for a meal that evening. I was still talking through what I was doing to make sure Gay was at ease. Only a few comments from Gay during the circuits - 1st comment: "Jeez the wind is cold". 2nd comment: "Will you shut up and just fly the bloody airplane". 3rd comment: On late final - "Jeez, you come down fast!"

The general feeling from Gay after the event was that she enjoyed the experience and would go again - in fact, booked a flight for the following morning!! As it turned out, the next morning was too blustery to take a novice flying so I just did a few circuits myself.

I'm not sure if Gay had a smile after the flight but I did:smile:001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I reckon there will probably be many more flight to gether with Gay in Gaygirl - what more could a bloke ask for:cheers:

Sorry, don't have photos as she took me by surprise, and photos was last thing on my mind. I'll get some next time.

Pud

• Like 6

after all, it's not every day I get to take the most important person in my life for a fly:smile:

You lucky, lucky man. I guess that's what you get for not pushing her outside her comfort zone, and just waiting for her to do it herself. A (semi)willing accomplice. Brilliant! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

You lucky, lucky man. I guess that's what you get for not pushing her outside her comfort zone, and just waiting for her to do it herself. A (semi)willing accomplice. Brilliant! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Yep, I sure am. And it is!!

Pud

Good for you, Gay! Now Pud, when do we get to see a pic of the good looking one? I was mightily disappointed by your last efforts!

rgmwa

Good for you, Gay! Now Pud, when do we get to see a pic of the good looking one? I was mightily disappointed by your last efforts!rgmwa

Yeah, sorry about that rgmwa, but I didn't want to hurt Pol's feelings by leaving him out of the photos.

I'll see if I can get some good ones next time Gay comes flying.

Pud

Well done Pud, or should I be giving congrats to Gay?? I must confess that the only time LeeNaa came up with me in the Thruster, it kinda pumped up my ego that my wife would put her life on the line just for her husband's idiosyncratic hobby. Mind you - she's never been flying with me again in either the Thruster or the LightWing so when you get Gay to the point of 'having a bit of a drive' let me know and I'll come over to get lessons in 'wife-whispering' from you. Again, congrats for achieving a milestone. Cheers

Well done Pud, or should I be giving congrats to Gay?? I must confess that the only time LeeNaa came up with me in the Thruster, it kinda pumped up my ego that my wife would put her life on the line just for her husband's idiosyncratic hobby. Mind you - she's never been flying with me again in either the Thruster or the LightWing so when you get Gay to the point of 'having a bit of a drive' let me know and I'll come over to get lessons in 'wife-whispering' from you. Again, congrats for achieving a milestone. Cheers

You should definitely be giving congrats to Gay Riley. My 'wife whispering' skills are no-existent so the milestone is all due to Gay deciding for herself - as always!!

How did your fly away weekend to Westonia go? You probably had to contend with headwinds all the way there on Saturday.

I have those wing battens you wanted to look at, if you still require them. Let me know and I'll call in sometime.

Pud

Very professional Pud, and a great investment in future flights with Gay growing in confidence.

Well, I don't know about professional turbz, but I certainly wanted Gay to have a positive experience that will grow over time into that confidence you mentioned. Thanks for the comments.

Pud

Another great weekend of aviating (by those who were) and aspiring (by those who weren't). You're spot on with your assumption re the h'winds. Had to leave the trikes in a hangar at Wylie on the outbound due to rampant gusting X winds. Ground party diverted to collect them on the journey home but conditions improved so all flew back into YBOO. I'll give you a bell re the battens as I need to confirm the profiles. cheers