Here we go!!

pudestcon

Here We Don't Go!!

Expectations were high this morning but the enthusiasm took a beating when the 582 Rotax refused to start. Still don't know why but will continue the analysis and investigation tomorrow.

I don't have much mechanical nouse, so with help of the more experienced on the airfield I hope to have better news tomorrow.

Cheers,

Pud

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pud,One of the most common reasons a two stroke won't start when it has previously can be that the choke is not operating in the full position, check that the cable actuation is pulling the choke on into the full choke position. You may have already done this mate.

All the best,

David

A couple of people have mentioned this David, and your confirmation is enough for me to definitely check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for your best wishes Pow

Pud

Well tomorrow is the day if the wind is ok.Tomorrow is the day when my T500 Thruster registered 25-0331 gets to become a flying machine, rather than a pile of rag and tube aspiring to be a flying machine:oh yeah: I'll get to Northam around 8am to help Steve do some final stuff, throughly check out the complete aircraft going over every control circuit nut and bolt, clip in the radio (hand held), and watch Steve do some strip runs. Some minor adjustments, another inspection of all components, and if all checks out, I expect to record Steve do a circuit or 2.

Who knows, by Saturday evening I may well have tasted flight in my own aircraft - it's been coming for a lifetime but the last 18 months or so have been excruciating!!

Pud

Here's a pic of the finished product.[ATTACH=full]13541[/ATTACH]

She looks fantastic Pud it is a credit to you believe me i know how much work has gone into it as i have completely rebuilt a Gemini and brought it up to T500 specs with the help of the late Tony Hayes and Bob Llewelyn of TOSG. With Steve doing the final bits she couldn't be in better hands. Cheers The Baron.

Guest Maj Millard

Pud, Hope you have checked if there is fuel in the bowls. thrusters often have a problem pumping fuel up to the engine, especially if the lines are empty....boost pump ?........................................................Maj...

Congratulations Pud, really great to see her complete. Can't wait to see the stills/video.-Andrew

We'll all be waiting for the stills and video Andrew - engine is going back to the doctors!!!

The rear piston and barrel has score marks I could drive a Kenworth down - not happy! I reckon its caused by a lack of fuel/lubrication, so once we have the engine back in good order I still need to find out why.

Not happy:ranting:bad_mood.gif.04f799b8c2da677a1c244b54433f2aa7.gif068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Pud,I am sorry to hear that mate, that is soooo disappointing. It would really pi$$ me off too. The 582s are normally bomb proof, let us know what caused it when you know.

Bugga bugga bugga. PS you could get a tow up the strip 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif.

David

Normally I'd find that funny David:cheezy grin:

One positive is - being the mechanic I'm not, there is a lot of learning happening here that will stand me in good stead I reckon.

I'll post here when I know what's going on.

As somebody said to me "It's character building". I nearly characterised him!!065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

Cheers,

Pud

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

I wish I was there to help you Pud, I know those damn things back to front !....................................Maj...

I wish I was there to help you Pud, I know those damn things back to front !....................................Maj...

And it would be good to have you here Maj. I'd give it to you in a heart beat.

It seems that Rotax experienced mechanics are few and far between - I rang Bert Flood (Wal is overseas) and spoke with David who found out some info for me and rang me back with a contact in Bunbury. Sadly that lead petered out as the guy is in the earthmoving business full time now. I have made contact with Les Dean who does a lot of work with Rotaxes but mainly in the karting field. At least he should be able to inspect the engine and give me an idea of what I'm up for.

Pud

Sorry to hear Pud, not fun at all.

(Me and my brother made a go-cart when I was younger and we got everything finished... started up, but we accidently geared it wrong... and it was going backwards!! I know the let down feeling of being so close, but so far!)

Thanks for your thoughts Tomo,

I took some photos of the damage for more mechanically minded people, like you and Maj, Tomo.

Waddayareckon?

1012847211_Wholeview.thumb.JPG.ce54c8ecc9579cf1004fb58da229e9a0.JPG

This will give you perspective on the issue.

1367984828_Frontpiston1.thumb.JPG.62ad968518dc6e15768ae45307631558.JPG

ZFront piston - not that bad I hear you say....

2048257501_Frontpistonbarrel1.thumb.JPG.51b17a99a95adfe4c3118ffbf0afddc4.JPG

Front barrel - note the discolouration just above the 2nd stud from the left

741979800_Frontpistonbarrel2.thumb.JPG.8d29674fe14155283d7fb61801b8753b.JPG

Front barrel - slight scoring can be seen here

1857048888_Pistoncomparison.thumb.JPG.151ca6ce75e615fb9758aceef72d80fd.JPG

The comparison shows plenty eh?

427918753_Rearpiston1.thumb.JPG.3fd7b89b5e43ba98f2bcaaf83f78e395.JPG

Rear piston - some serious damage here. No wonder it wouldn't start!

560108195_Rearpiston2.thumb.JPG.689d3f4b4c19687bf2c133b117a1c03c.JPG

More damage to the rear piston

1438917164_Rearpiston3.thumb.JPG.142021e061c51114b51d891e364ec910.JPG

And more!!

410912548_Rearpistonbarrel1.thumb.JPG.b68186755dc8fad38364206178c67681.JPG

New barrel required?

2055581045_Rearpistonbarrel2.thumb.JPG.a2839580183a1e3ea0e6959bbc1d3117.JPG

Probably.....

597682827_Rearpistonbarrel3.thumb.JPG.2a3c557de516a3a2ae4e63ba2589be2e.JPG

Yep, get the chequebook out, this is gonna hurt!!

So what do you think - is this caused by a lack of fuel/lubrication?

Pud

My limitted knowledge of 2 strokes is the rings get pushed out around the locating pin from a build up from carbon, eventually the get pushed into the barrel wall and then into the port. The other scenario was it was running lean and the ring melted. The other thing you want to check is the cross hatching on the barrels, that's what holds the oil in place. Check your plugs to see how lean it was running http://www.theultralightplace.com/sparkplugs.htm

Good luck with the rebuild

My limitted knowledge of 2 strokes is the rings get pushed out around the locating pin from a build up from carbon, eventually the get pushed into the barrel wall and then into the port. The other scenario was it was running lean and the ring melted. The other thing you want to check is the cross hatching on the barrels, that's what holds the oil in place. Check your plugs to see how lean it was running http://www.theultralightplace.com/sparkplugs.htmGood luck with the rebuild

Thanks ft,

That link is very good, so I've included it in my favourites.

Pud

What is the history of the engine Pud? Was it with the aircraft when you bought it?

G'day Win,

The engine was completely rebuilt and has just been through the run in process - about 1.5 hours on the clock.

I hope you get it sorted soon Pud, so you can experience the freedom of flight after all that work.

Thanks eightyknots,

I've got a serious case of "Low Altitude Sickness" to go with the disappointment I'm feeling at the moment. Definitely gotta get in the air soon.

Pud

Thanks eightyknots,I've got a serious case of "Low Altitude Sickness" to go with the disappointment I'm feeling at the moment. Definitely gotta get in the air soon.

Pud

Hi Pud, just seen this thread for the first time, I feel sick, I can imagine how you feel having rebuilt mine as you know.

I hope you recover quickly and the engine too. The thruster looks great you've done a great job. you'll be in the air soon.

Terry