Here we go!!

pudestcon

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff Pud, do you know when it'll be flying for the first time? Might go over to Northam to take some photos/film!-Andrew

Not sure yet Andrew,

I'll let you know once we have everything ready to go.

Pud

Majority of GA flying schools quote flying exclusive of GST (just FYI lol), isn't GST 10%? It's pretty easy to work it out GST inclusive if they quote you an exclusive price.

-Andrew

Guest davidh10
Majority of GA flying schools quote flying exclusive of GST (just FYI lol), isn't GST 10%? It's pretty easy to work it out GST inclusive if they quote you an exclusive price.-Andrew

Just because lots of people break the law, doesn't make it suddenly legal.

Under the GST legislation, a GST exclusive price can only be quoted to another business. That is because GST means little to a business, as they can claim it back. Retail customers must be quoted the price including GST and may indicate the amount of GST included in the price.

There could even be a case under "Fair Trading" or "Trade Practices" (Has just been renamed to Competition and Consumer Act 2010), as they are quoting the price sans GST to appear cheaper and thus mislead consumers.

GST is also exclusive if the business generates less than $75,000 in sales per year. GA flying schools are also exempt from including GST because flight training towards a CPL (150hr) is GST exempt. So yes it is perfectly legal!

The price quoted is always GST inclusive, regardless of the amount of GST. In Floods case they have no reason to quote an ex price, they are doing it merely to make their goods look less expensive.

Tornado I'm saying if the company doesn't make $75,000 in sales per year (don't hold me to that exact figure) they don't even need to show GST included in the price. Our family runs a small business, this is the case with us. Under our Australian Company Number and Australian Business Number, we're not registered for GST therefore we don't charge it.

"ABN:92 092 440 851

View ABN history

Last modified:19 Mar 2001

ABN status:Active from 17 Jun 2000

Entity name:THE BERT FLOOD FAMILY TRUST

Entity type:Other trust

GST registration status:Effective from 01 Jul 2000"

So yes he should be including GST.

-Andrew

If the company doesn't invoice over $75.000 a year they don't have to collect GST but they still have show the amount of GST on the invoice, which is $0.

Pud's engine doesn't sound too expensive @ $6300 but then you add freight and GST and its closer to $7300. which is a bit more.

Will be ordering a new 582 from Floods tomorrow. $6375 plus GST, includes carbs, pull start, fuel pump and exhaust system. Will reuse 2 piece radiator, reduction gear box and electric start.Pud

Good move Pud, this is an aircraft, your life may depend on it.

I'm with Facthunter on this. I ran two strokes for about 12 years in race cars; Allowing for a few years the barrel costs were about right - a light two stroke is a very expensive form of sport if you are going to pull heavy loads, and once you start to rebuild them it's always possible to miss some small item. I wouldn't buy a reconditioned one unless I knew tyhe history of the rebuilder, so I think new will be the more economical way for a few years use Pud and you won't regret it. Better than trying to do a forced landing into blackberry bushes.

Guest davidh10
GA flying schools are also exempt from including GST because flight training towards a CPL (150hr) is GST exempt. So yes it is perfectly legal!

So they are quoting a price inclusive of GST, but which happens to contain GST at the rate of 0%.

They are still required to render a "Tax Invoice" and quote prices that include GST for consumers, even if some of the goods or services sold are GST exempt.

An individual, training towards CPL is a consumer and must be given a GST inclusive price. If their training is engaged by their employer (a business), then it could be quoted excluding GST and must show the amount of GST.

Under the GST legislation, a GST exclusive price can only be quoted to another business. That is because GST means little to a business, as they can claim it back. Retail customers must be quoted the price including GST and may indicate the amount of GST included in the price.

Correct. When you said what's quoted above, it sounded like you were arguing that it can only be quoted GST exclusive to another business.

-Andrew

Well the challenges never cease it seems.

Susan from Bert Flood notified me today that the engine is on it's way, so all is good there:big_grin:

Seeing as how I am reusing the existing starter, I thought I would get it checked out, took it to the local auto electrician shop, and he informs me that the armature is shorting out - probably accounts for the weak turn over of the engine I put down to a low battery. Apparently armatures are not available for this starter.

So does anybody have a reasonable 2nd hand starter for sale, don't need the whole kit and caboodle, just an armature would be good. I don't really feel like shelling out $1034 inc GST plus freight for a new starter kit from Bert Floods unless I have to.

Pud

The EAA did a webcast on flying with 2 strokes, the expert opinion was to use the engine to the TBO and then buy a new one.

Why? Was it the cost of an overhaul, or the reduction in reliablity?

Pud

Who was the ex pert, who pays him, does he fly 2 strokes, does he repair 2 strokes, does he even know what a 2 stroke is? Obviously hasn't had much positive experiences with 2 strokes. Plenty of engines out there running well after TBO with regular maintanence and care. US or Aus branch of the EAA?

So many questions, so little time ................

At one stage the top engine in Interstate Prime Movers was the Perkins 6/354.

They were cheap at $1500.00 and lasted for aropund 100,000 miles, so at the 100,000 mark operators would pull the engine out whether it was good or not and put a new $1500.00 engine in.

The cost package of doing that was cheaper than reconditioning.

I'd agree with the same principle for two strokes under heavy load.