VDO Tacho Problems

mattbutton

Curious to know if anyone has experienced problems with the standard VDO/Jabiru Tacho, mine is showing intermittent random RPM readings and intermittent loss of the LCD (at 61 hrs), I know of another doing the same. I would suggest dry solder joints. The unit appears to be only serviceable from the front, does anyone know if the front bezel removable?

Hello Matt, What a coincidence, I was flying one with the exact same problem on Friday. It only had 59 hours! Like many instruments in the Jabs, they are made to a price (cheap!) and are not worth repairing. I have observed several others with similar intermittent problems. Not that long ago, VDO's were top quality instruments. Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Curious to know if anyone has experienced problems with the standard VDO/Jabiru Tacho, mine is showing intermittent random RPM readings and intermittent loss of the LCD (at 61 hrs), I know of another doing the same. I would suggest dry solder joints. The unit appears to be only serviceable from the front, does anyone know if the front bezel removable?

Hi

i have a jab lsa with 1400 plus hours on it for the last month the tacho has been intermittent. today i removed it and very carefully removed the black outer ring that holds it together. i could not see a crack in the solder joints as my eyes are not as good as they used to be , so i re-soldered all of the large one, reassembled and it works. the face comes off if you work the folded over ring all the way around gently

hope this helps Keith

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I have had the same problem.

Noticed it would work fine for about twenty minutes then start to swing from about the right RPM to full deflection and back and then stop ( I am not sure if stayed at full deflection or if it dropped back to zero) and the LCD display went off.

When I started up next time it was the same. OK for a while then play up.

I pulled all the wire/connectors off and cleaned them and it worked well for a while then started again. Rechecked the wires and one of the wires had come adrift - touching but obviously off the post. Checked the push on plug and noted it was fairly loose fit. Crimped it down a bit tighter and all has been well since.

That would be worth a quick look.

• 6 years later...

This problem is still around. I've been experiencing this same problem with my VDO Tacho on my LSA 55. 1st the LCD Hobbs meter reading would go blank intermittently. Now the Tacho reading, intermittently goes wild, varying from full left to full right and sometimes non responsive around the middle.

Before replacing I think I'll inspect the wiring.

Had similar problem with a Jab160 a few years ago, turned out a loose internal wire on the charge dyno was causing voltage spikes & overvoltage. Repaired, problem solvered.

Excellent tutorial here:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?attachments/repair-of-yanmar-tach-updated-pdf.59966/

how to rectify your failing VDO hour meter display. The problem stems from a failing of the silicone rubber used during manufacture to seal the transparent conductive tracks on the printed circuit board where the ribbon connects to the board. Remove all of the crumbling sealant with a sharpened toothpick and small brush and have your hour display reading reliably again.

wby.

• Informative 1

I may be speaking too soon as I haven't been able to test, but I think I found my problem.

I found a loose wire connector at one of the sensors near the flywheel. I tightened the crimp and it's now on solid. Rain has moved into my area so will have to test another day, but that loose wire seems consistent with my issue with the VDO Tacho.

I spoke with someone at Jabiru about it, and they were very helpful. They stated that the unit itself is usually a solid one, and faults are usually found around the sensors, the tabs, or the sender unit.

The Hobbs Meter LCD problem is well known to them, they pointed me to a company called Sgesco in Brisbane that you can send the VDO unit in and they will repair the LCD.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Called Sgesco today and they no longer have a VDO instrument repair shop - just sales.

Two alternatives repair shops I've found are:

Howard Instruments - Melbourne

Lionel Otto Instruments - Brisbane

Roger at Howard was familiar with the intermittent LCD display issue and has quoted $200 + tax to repair