IBIS GS700

I went for a fly in a IBIS GS700 on Saturday.

I've got to say that I was very impressed. The low speed handling, STOL charatistics, benign stalls all make for a very easy plane to fly.

After learning to fly in a J160 I found it required much less input in general.

I think it has gone to the top of my wish list (with the Morgan Sierra)

If you like the IBIS, have you had a look at the Paradise P1? Similar concept.

Hey BlackRod,

I have done a bit of internet searching on the P1 but not flown one. A mate just bought a Ibis which is how a got a chance to fly it. Really made me realise that you have got to try out as many makes as possible otherwise you don't know what you what you are missing out on.

What I like about the Paradise and the Ibis for that matter is that they are built for considerably higher MTOW than the 600kg we will be allowed to fly them. The same of course can be said of the Jab 230 and the Australian Lightwing S2000. All very nice and large (for RA) aircraft.

the australian dealer spec for the Ibis says 570kg!

I've done a few hours in the Ibis, very nice on a trip, especially for a big boned lad, although the one I flew had yokes and I reckon they'd be a bit nicer with a stick, what was your mates one rego number, I took 7555 out to monto flyin last yearcheers Mat

Hi Mat,

7646 I think. Brand new, only had about 10 hours on it. It had yokes as well which I didn't mind. I am pretty big too so found it pretty comfortable (loved the leather seats).

Guest Walter Buschor

Love the IBIS. Don't know why on earth this name was chosen. The ibis is ugly as sin and a bl...dy scavenger. The Ibis 700 is sweet as.

On the other hand ... the Pacific 1 whilst it does look great can only carry one pax and full fuel. The rest is overload. It does look good too though. For my money - if I had spare cash I would order a Ibis with Joy stick and yes - I would love it but ... I'm not willing to go into debt. The savvy will do all and more I ask of it.

Fly safe

Walter

Guest Maj Millard

Both a bit too Cessna like for my tastes.. Besides they're not really doing anything new that the Tecnam range hasn't already done with the P92 etc. some years ago.

Just simply not exciting enough, why not just go out and buy a Cessna 172 ?..it's got yokes also............................Maj...

Guest Maj Millard

My thoughts exactly metalman, I left GA and came to ULs for a bit of excitment, now they want to recreate GA all over again....boring !!...It also shows lack of design talent and imagination on the part of the manufacturer, not something Garry Morgan suffers from for instance. Give me taildragger any day, least they keep you awake for the landing...............................Maj...

Guest Maj Millard

For instance:........Been doing some inspections on Ian Wells newly constructed Savannah XL this week. He started building this now, very refined kit, last Oct and the finished product is very impressive indeed, both qualty of workmanship and paint finish, and is a credit to this first-time amateur builder.

We also did the first start of the brand-new, latest model 912 S, with all the latest updates (ring engine-mount, soft-start ign, new oil pressure sender etc). These are now also a very refined piece of gear, and after getting the required oil-pressure, it fired up instantly on the first blade and ran smooth as silk. Now that's exciting !!....and the future potential that this aircraft has for Ian and Julie, is something to look foward to. I'm sure as soon as Ian gets some dual time in a training Savvy he'll be up and running, and no doubt you'll see the two tone 'carbon Savannah' (or cab-sav for short) around at fly-ins..Well done Ian and Julie !...........................................................Maj...

Guest burbles1

I peeked inside the Paradise P1 at NatFly and wrapped my left hand around the Cessna-type yoke. Not enough space to rest your hand comfortably, as my fingers were squashed together just to fit the vertical handle. You could hang your little pinkie below the horizontal part of the yoke, but equally uncomfortable on a long trip I'd imagine.

My thoughts exactly metalman, I left GA and came to ULs for a bit of excitment, now they want to recreate GA all over again....boring !!...It also shows lack of design talent and imagination on the part of the manufacturer, not something Garry Morgan suffers from for instance. Give me taildragger any day, least they keep you awake for the landing...............................Maj...

Maj, I'd like to hear your opinion on the Just Highlander, in regards to your above comments which I agree with

Some of you Guys may be Interested in Building an RV-12 Kit plane ...sounds like a real nicely peforming Rotax 912 powered Aircraft. Good perfomance Nice Specs with a good Dynon Panel and reasonably cheap to Build & Fly..! :thumb_up:

I really like the look of the Ibis, however I'm unsure what the dog wearing the top hat has to do with it.... 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

no doubt you'll see the two tone 'carbon Savannah' (or cab-sav for short) around at fly-ins.

Ahaha! I like! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Ballpoint, I haven't yet laid eyes on a Highlander, but have viewed some video footage of one doing a touch and go.

call me biased, but anything with a high-lift wing and a tailwheel gets my vote every time,.........................Maj...

Quote: "I really like the look of the Ibis, however I'm unsure what the dog wearing the top hat has to do with it..."033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Evan,

I believe the dog is just a family pet, and probably a better looking model than most of us.

Ross,

One of my reasons for liking the IBIS is the size of the cabin (and also cargo area). Being larger and longer than most I have found that alot of the UL's aren't made for us bigger folks (that may be a size-ist comment). So far I have only found the Foxbat to have a wider cabin than the IBIS......and the trike of course, although hanging out over the sides shouldn't count. Luckily I haven't had enough time in the flying game to yet be bored with any of the makes (that may be an age-ist comment).

Cheers

PS. If anyone has advise on other makes/models out there that comfortably fit the long and large, please let me know.

aaahh the nasty taildragger ,,,nothing compares to the buggers,,,I truly am hooked on em. I have been keeping an ear to the ground for a stacked Tecnam to do a conversion to, the Highlander looks great , had a look at one a Avalon and they are pretty neat bit of kit, like a big skyfox with all the shitty bits fixed. I don't know why savanah or zenith don't offer a TW version ,it would put them on my to do list but as is it's a bit "eh big deal". I reckon at the moment the savage cub is pretty cool, yet to fly one but hoping to soon.Another plane I've been daydreaming about is a kitfox with a ***** radial, bush wheels ,,,,,like a baby beaver!!!!!

Out of interest did anyone go to the auction out west of brisbane on friday, there was a beat up lightwing going up for sale, be keen to know what it went for.

Mat

Mat, That auction out at Coominya is next weekend. Seems its been mustering all it's life. 3200hrs and 600+ on the current engine and original fabric.

Hows VIC treating you?

Cheers