What`s Happening???

farri

• 3 months later...

Taking Marissa Ellis for her first-ever, Ultralight flight! Marissa`s father has been flying with me, also.

Just one of the numerous, similar flights I did, with family, friends and visitors, over this last Christmas, New Year, period.

• Like 8

Farri's done a bit of flying in the drifter. The motor has electric start also. Yes technically not a Generally" permitted "Normal" action but I've done it legally as part of my training like many others.. Nev

As an A.U.F., C.F.I., I instructed dead stick landings, when I was running my own C.A.A/A.U.F., approved, flight training facility, off my home property, here at Deeral.

For me, by far the most important safety issue is to maintain my skills! and by the way! I`ve flown over a dozen different types of Ultralights and have accumulated over 3,000 hrs, the majority of them in my Drifter, which is the AC I instructed with.

Franco.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

We are unlikely to get many more "high hours in Drifter (or Thruster) Pilots". You usually get such hours instructing and this was probably the GO in the late 80's. Didn't DUAL seat make their debut about 1986?. Nev

5 hours ago, farri said:

As an A.U.F., C.F.I., I instructed dead stick landings, when I was running my own C.A.A/A.U.F., approved, flight training facility, off my home property, here at Deeral.

For me, by far the most important safety issue is to maintain my skills! and by the way! I`ve flown over a dozen different types of Ultralights and have accumulated over 3,000 hrs, the majority of them in my Drifter, which is the AC I instructed with.

Franco.

Frank you old basta** - tell the truth - how many real engine failures in total - including the toys before the drifter you have had. I know the real you so no fibs.

happy new year to you and Fran 

SSCBD

19 hours ago, facthunter said:

We are unlikely to get many more "high hours in Drifter (or Thruster) Pilots". You usually get such hours instructing and this was probably the GO in the late 80's. Didn't DUAL seat make their debut about 1986?. Nev

Yeah! from memory, around that time...I don`t know about the Thrusters but I do know there still is a demand for the Drifters! 

16 hours ago, SSCBD said:

Frank you old basta** - tell the truth - how many real engine failures in total - including the toys before the drifter you have had. I know the real you so no fibs.

happy new year to you and Fran 

SSCBD

Hey, Old Buddy Old Pall!!! Engine failures!... More than you can count on two hands with five fingers on each hand! but don`t forget! I`m on my 6th, Rotax, 2 stroke engine on the Drifter and in the early days, we were learning as we went along...Havn`t had engine failure for many years now! I`ve done over 600 hrs. with my current 503, DCDI. 

The Truth! I was practicing dead-stick landings in my scratch built Chinook WT2, copy, before I even started logging hours or flying the Drifter.

The Truth! I recall, Barry Hughes, AUF, CFI, from the Gold Coast, up here to check me out, so I went up to around 300 feet, shut it down and glided in! he said, " do you always do that when you go flying", I said, "yes, that way I know I can put it down"! Barry never said another word about it! I kid you not.

By the way! These days, the real me is the guy you see in my videos! Happy New year to you and the rest of the family.

Franco,

Ps, SSCBD, Tell the truth! How many engine failures have you had?

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, IBob said:

Not my taste in backing music, but that's subjective..........)

That`s ok Bob! tell me which music you prefer and I`ll do the next one just for you!!! :wink: :wave:

Got it wrong in my previous post, this will make it easier!!!

• Like 1

Those king-post mounted views are great Frank, perfect for some shots - especially the ones manoeuvring near your strip and along the river.  But in some shots the framing gets a bit awkward, the top edge hovering just below the horizon; there's a feeling that we'd really like it to tilt up a bit.  One solution would be to get a second cam so that you have two views to choose between - and cut between - for each flight.  And/or you could upgrade to a 360 degree camera where, basically, all viewing directions are covered at once. Then you get to pan and zoom around the scene, just as you like, later, in the comfort of your edit suite.  

You can see an example of a 360 cam in use in the video below.  From around 01:00 to 01:20 is a good one. This guy commonly uses 4 or more cameras for his videos.

But I doubt you want to bother with so elaborate a set up. Just the same, one 360-cam mounted at various places on your drifter might be fun to experiment with. The editing would surely keep you off the mean streets of Deeral between flights.   ;- )

BTW, to get shots of the entire aircraft, this guy uses a 360 cam on a wing tip stick; software can be used to photoshop-out the stick itself.  Heaps of his other films can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W0bb8-_vmBud5e0DbGeuQ/videos

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

It`s guys like these that keep me doing what I do, with the Drifter...Jason Crane, found me on facebook, saw some of my flying videos, contacted me and asked if I`d take him flying! he told me he`d missed the opportunity to fly with me when he was 10 years old, so last Saturday, I took him flying! after the flight this is what he wrote on my facebook page.

Jason Crane

I grew up in Deeral watching the ultralights fly over and even hung out at the same airstrip. When I was 10 years old I missed the opportunity to have a fly with Franco Arri as I needed my parents permission, 35 years later (no parents permission required 😉) I finally got to go for a fly. Thanks Franco....your a legend!

Jason1.thumb.png.978ccd4eb62e395793135f7125a1c920.png

This is Shayla Ganly! Shayla is one of the locals here, at Deeral! today is her 19th birthday and she wanted to go flying with me, so we did.

Shayla.thumb.png.d9d49e0bba4c673d459d2ea505881325.png

Franco.

• Like 7
  • Winner 1