Another Savy S flying

Gundy

Finally finished my S model with a cheer from my lovely wife. She has been very patient in the last 5 years as I've built 3 Savy's for myself with a hand in a couple more. She has said this is the last or this is a divorce. So I started this project with stuff it I'll build it with everything I've every wanted. So I started the build then ordered a Dynon Skyview with autopilot then ordered a constant speed prop, xcom VHF with UHF, strobe lights and decided to do a smick paint job. That's when trouble started, I decided I liked the colour of the commodore green so I went to town to get a quote. I fell over at the price $900 a litre tried different paint shops they had the same answer so I decided to go with morphous purple with a metallic flec in it. Then I wanted the white to be a pearl colour. I painted the last two planes myself with a good outcome but this was a different system so I thought the smart thing would be to employ a precessional. After two days and 30+ runs I sacked him and decided I'd do it myself. Don't think if your paying good money you'll get a good job. Any how after 6 months juggling my job and our first baby boy it's finally finished (well ready to fly). I still got plenty of stuff to customize to suit me. It was checked over by a LAME who said I'd done a great job, sent all paper work into Raaus at easter. They did an excellent job in getting the ok to fly back to me in short time considering most of them were at Temora. So late on Tuesday arvo I decided it was time to test this bird. It's hard to put into words the first flight of a plane that you've built or assembled as theres not that many people get the chance. It was a wonderful experience. So I did a close circuit came in for a text book landing. I only ever do a circuit then I go and have a cuppa to settle down and reaccess all that has happen. Then I go all over the plane again looking for any problems then I fly above the airfield checking out it parameters. The only problem so far is it was getting a bit hot. I since realize now the cutting an inch off the bottom of the cowl was a mistake as it helps draw air through. Now is the big learning curve how to use the Skyview. It is a wonderful instrument as it's got so much info and when some thing is wrong it flashes red. Anyhow I should keep u posted on some facts and figures as to performance against the VG model. Gundy

• Like 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Gundy

All sounds very familiar! I flew my just finished XL last week. WHAT A BUZZ that first flight is in an aircraft that you built, Still on that high now. Notched up 11.4 hours so far, my only problem was 3 exhaust springs breaking and one of the engine cowling fasteners coming open (now fixed). I now have to finish the 25 hours in time for the Old Station fly in at the end of the month.

How about a few photos of this smicky paint job?

Look forward to hearing your views re "S" verses "XL"

Regards

Ian Wells

2.thumb.jpg.5b74baec889fecb343a5105fb65b0834.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.44ea892ad99b7485841c95b8359bdbec.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gundy and congratulations on the build and first flight!!

Only problem is that we weren't able to watch it happening along the way as we have been able to with Mark and Ian. I have been watching these posts on the Savannah with a real sense of thrill. Having spoken briefly by phone to the both Tom and Reg, the distributors, and looking at and climbing over and reading about these aircraft endlessly (well, touched a couple, still have to have a fly in one), I am coming to the decision that this is the aircraft I want to build and own, and your aircraft sounds very similar to how I would like mine to finish up.

I would love to see as many photos of your aircraft as possible and am very keen to see how you've fitted out the panel. I think the Dynon Skyview looks to be the ultimate, and the 10" combined with EMS and the new mapping software, and $1500 for 2 autopilot servos, WOW!!! you don't need anything else for a very clean, simple installation.

So, a couple of questions. Why the S over the XL? Just for the aesthetics? Have the corrugations been taken out of the rear fuselage, and if so, does this return the "tin canning" that the corrugations were there to remove? I read somewhere that with the S, you couldn't have the extended baggage shelf. Is this the case and is the normal one sufficient for camping gear etc? Were you able to arrange a credit for the ICP instruments that weren't required because of the purchase of the Dynon or did you just keep them anyway? Was it easy to make changes to the wiring harness to accommodate your changes away from the standard instruments?

Look forward to hearing from you and seeing some photos.

Regards,

Mike.

So, a couple of questions. Why the S over the XL? Just for the aesthetics? Have the corrugations been taken out of the rear fuselage, and if so, does this return the "tin canning" that the corrugations were there to remove? I read somewhere that with the S, you couldn't have the extended baggage shelf. Is this the case and is the normal one sufficient for camping gear etc? Were you able to arrange a credit for the ICP instruments that weren't required because of the purchase of the Dynon or did you just keep them anyway? Was it easy to make changes to the wiring harness to accommodate your changes away from the standard instruments?

Hi Mike,

Your thinking is pretty much like mine. I have asked many of those questions and found some answers. I will outline what I have found out below:

S versus XL. I have been assured that the weight and flight performance of both aircraft is "virtually identical". Therefore, with the exception of the cable exit points near the empennage which is a little different, the only major difference are the aesthetics. On this forum, there has been discussion of a "masculine" or "feminine" look. There has also been the suggestion that the slab-sided XL is more stable in straight and level flight. JG3 has said that he has flown his VG for lengthy periods without having to touch the stick. The question each potential purchaser has to answer, do you like a rounded fuselage or a squared one.

Corrugations along the fuselage length. I have not read anywhere whether the S (without the corrugated, "garden shed" appearance) has any tin-canning in flight. Strangely enough, the similar looking Zenith planes (CH-701 and CH-750) have never resorted to corrugated sides to avoid tin-canning and there seems to be no problem with them.

Extended Baggage Area. This was not available as an option initially but, from the end of 2010, is now available as an option provided you don't want a ballistic parachute.

Credit for steamgauge instruments. No, my enquiries revealed that this is not the case. If we want a glass cockpit, you would have to sell the supplied instruments separately on the open market.

I hope that helps.

The best improvement IMO is to the flap control through the fuselage wall. I much prefer the sealed grommet to the open arc slot on the wall of the VG/XL. The "S" for smooth fuselage looks a lot better and IS quieter at engine run up pre-takeoff, the only time you really hear the fuselage anyway, air pressure quietens it in flight.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Maj Millard

Gundy, I enjoyed running into you at Old Station even though it was too brief. (my fault not yours') I did have a good look over your aircraft and I was very impressed with your quality of workmanship, and finish overall. As Peter Fonda said in 'Easy Rider"..You should be proud ! The paint job and choice of colours is a knockout !! Even your wife would have to be happy with that one wouldn't she ?....

I look foward to running into you again sometime., fly safe..............................................Cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Gundy, I noticed you have an Airmaster prop fitted to the savvy S (I think we chatted about it at Old Station ). My experience with the Airmaster is all good, and other than them being expensive initially, I certainly wouldn't mind having one on my aircraft. They are an interesting mix of several technoligies, assembled in NZ, blades from the states, and computer controller from either Germany or italy as I recall. I did the required 25 hour blade removal and regrease on one, and was very impressed with the internals. I recently did a 2000hr disassembly, inspection and regrease on an Italian Indavario IFA prop fitted to a Storch out bush, and there was some wear showing but otherwise fine.

The Airmaster and Indavario have almost the same hub internals, bearings etc (don't know who copied who !) and it seems to work well, and is quite robust.

The only time ever had a drama with the Airmaster was when I dropped down low to look at something on the ground, poured the coals to it to climb out and...........Holy shxx...still in cruise mode !!...with resulting anemic performance as could be expected. That of course was a pilot problem and not the props' fault. Do remember to select take-off, or climb, on the prop selector if down low as I should have !.

That's one problem with these 'set and forget' things these days....you tend to set and forget !!

Hope the plane is going fine for you.........................................................Cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest nunans

Where's the VG's?? Have you not yet fitted them on the S or does the S model not use them? I thought VG's made the world go around and were the "cure all" perfomance booster!

Guest Maj Millard

nunans......I'm pretty sure he had VGs on it at Old Station...he's probabily just finished painting it in the photos and then the VGs get superglued on..................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

dash1.JPG.dc8ab5448d90e53296e9a28b4b16d303.JPG

Here's a couple of Photos of the first flight. I've had a fair bit of computer trouble so thats why i've taken so long to replydash1.JPG.dc8ab5448d90e53296e9a28b4b16d303.JPG

1710324586_iphone302.JPG.46de9730a5cd48f98ae17983aa25aa9b.JPG

• Like 3

G'day Towering Cu I don't do much posting I just get into building and offer help to others by phone. Feel free to ring me. I chose the $ model over the XL as it was the latest model available and thinking it may have better performance and it looks nicer. Some say feminine look I say we all want to make a better model. Look u don't see any commercial planes slab sided ant

more. Saying that I still reckon the best Savy I've had was the VG model. The $ model has no tin canning at all if anything it's a lot quieter than all the previous models. As for the Dynon Skyview it's a fantastic instrument and I just keeped all the gauges that came with the kit. I rang up to see if I could get a credit they offered nothing for them. Someone else will benefit from them I'd rather give them to the needy. Yes the Skyview was easy to install for all the wiring.

Those pitcures Rocket posted were taking a couple of weeks before first flight so Nanans I had the VG installed before I flew it

I will post a few more photos soon of a test I did on performance. Gundy

Gundy, I am v-e-r-y impressed by your lovely looking Savannah.

As far as I can tell, you are the only Savvy owner with a Dynon Skyview fitted. Did you find this a difficult thing to accomplish? Is there a weight saving compared to steam gauges?? I'd love to have a l:private eyes:k at your Savvy one day.

80 knots it wasn't difficult at all to install the Skyview but had a little trouble sorting the autopilot servos out. I had to engineer all the brackets as well as making sure the servos had the right amount of travel (not too much travel). The paint job isn't finished yet still need to put the strips on. As for the weight of the Skyview verses common gauges the Dynon is lighter by a few kilos. I'm very pleased I went with the Dynon.

Hey Gundy,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can only echo the comments of others in that your Savvy looks excellent!! Very similar to what I believe I would like to do if I ever stop procrastinating! I see you have offset your Skyview to the central position of the dash. Was this just to make it look more symmetrical, or are there plumbing issues behind the dash? Is that a Cummins spinner you have added as well? Would also love to have a crawl over it at some stage should you find yourself visiting the Sunshine Coast region.

Enjoy flying the hours off it, and look forward to hearing more reports regarding your performance as you discover it, and anything that raises its head.

Regards,

Mike.