UK to Sydney Flexwing flight

damoski

If anyone's interested, a UK ultralight pilot is currently flying from Rufforth, UK to Sydney in his modified Quik 912s. Mods include a 135 fuel tank, and attachments for his wheelchair.

http://www.soloflightglobal.com/

Live GPS track

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=06mEvoaRQpSkLGcIAKnq9WsAs8oR5030m

Being from the UK, you occasionally hear of UK-to-Sydney trips. I wonder if there been many in the other direction?

Damo

Guest Crezzi

I've been tracking Dave's progress - its a brave effort & I wish him the best of luck.

AFAIK Aus toUK hasn't been done in a trike. It would be quite a bit harder heading west as the winds would tend to be more against you

Cheers

John

Guest Crezzi

He'd better get used to flying over water - I was told by another trike pilot that one third of his trip from the UK to Aus was "feet wet".

A lot of countries don't have much concept of uncontrolled VFR flight so you get routed via the airways albeit not at flight levels.

Cheers

John

The trip has been done two up a couple of times already in a trike including by a blind guy a couple of years ago.

Solo would still be a major achievement though...

Solo, unaccompanied and from what I can see, without a lot of base support and a paraplegic as well.

I believe it can take him up to an hr to get in or out of his trike.

Balls of steel they say after some of his water crossings.

Now in Cyprus, after a four-hour overwater flight, with a perfectly good land mass (Turkey) on his left side. Maybe they don't permit microlight, but still... wow!

He's now heading towards a choice of Turkey, Syria, Lebanon or Israel. My money's on Israel.

Guest Crezzi

The "standard" route is (or used to be) another long water crossing to Egypt, then Saudi Arabia, the Gulf states and Pakistan. I think flights from Israel to its near neighbours are problematic.

He's certainly chose an interesting time to be flying through that region but its always difficult & that parts of the fun/challenge !

You're right, it's Egypt. And I assume he's forgotten to take the sat-GPS out of his pocket. Either that, or he's currently overflying central Cairo.

BTW, recent news interview in Malta; interesting to see the wheelchair wheels mounted on the trike.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do go and check it from time to time - well, most of the time I do it eagerly, but sometimes I get busy and leave it for a while. I suggested on the BMAA forums about Dave having some kind of push updates (RSS, Twitter, etc), but there doesn't seem to be anything.

Anyway, he's flying through Mynamar / Burma. 4-5 hours' sleep a night, multiple transponder failures, landing a flexwing in 40kt gusts.. There'd better bloody well be a doco...