Recreational Flying GPS

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IanWith NZ charts installed will the flight planning software have NZ waypoints pre-programed?

No...unfortunately I don't have the waypoint list that I can import for you...if anyone has a list of waypoints for NZ please let me know and I will be able to set it up for NZ as well

The 7inch new menu system has been done...sorry for the delay to those with current orders but I wanted to get this right and use this menu system for all 7inch GPS orders that went out from now on:

922726668_Capture001640x480.jpg.72c234ac2517eed6d32418a20906788c.jpg

369916289_Capture002640x480.jpg.88134134ff8fcfd05d4e774674499c28.jpg

1054705296_Capture003640x480.jpg.ff028016d25d94e07943571f7f8fb21f.jpg

the street maps are for both Aust and NZ...the WAC Charts etc are only for Aust however I believe I can get the NZ aviation charts as well that work with OziExplorer...as for any other country the GPS unit itself as hardware will work anywhere but you need the apps/charts for that country

Ian, if you can get it to work with NZ Av charts, you could be getting a few extra unit sales in Enzed. Keep us posted.

I can load all the NZ aviation charts onto the GPS without a problem...I have had a look at the NZ Waypoint file and I can convert that into an OziExplorer Waypoint file without a problem...will take an hour or so. So yes, they can go to NZ but best to PM or email me at the moment as the shop isn't set up properly for NZ...also, if paid for by someone in NZ and shipped to NZ then there wouldn't be any GST however the shipping cost will be extra at around $5 more for the 5inch and $10 more for the 7inch (unregistered)

Dex, the smaller screens that Slarti may have made up are not correct for the larger 7" screens as I think they were only for 4.3inch, not even 5" as you have found out...the only thing that I can suggest without looking into that area myself is to make up new screens to suit the larger display.

I am glad you like the unit...and your one has the new menu system which is much easier to use

An update, please note that the Recreational Flying GPS units will be offered with a choice of charts...

1. The usual MapTrax charts which from October will be provided by another company that is taking over the MapTrax solution

OR

2. You can elect to use the Sentient AirNav Flight Planner charts

As you know we also sell the AirNav Flight Planner software from the shop here so this will give you the option of either software for the PC i.e. AirNav or OziExplorer and for your Recreational Flying GPS it will continue to use OziExplorer on the unit but you will have a choice of either Airnav or MapTrax for your charts.

The Recreational Flying GPS is continually being improved and supported right here in Australia in the Recreational Flying Forums...you can't get better service then that :big_grin:

Thanks mate...the Recreational Flying GPS is so much different and better then any other system for the price that is available anywhere and it will keep on being improved. The RAAus mag is doing a review on the 5" unit and one is being given away in the Letters to the Editor competition.

The new system that is installed on the units plays videos and music much better now as well...as a side note, plus the special components that we have used inside the GPS are much better then any other unit...several customers have reported that they are more accurate then Garmin, Tom Tom etc...this is because of the special circuity, electronics and even the casing that we created for them. This just like the EFB that we are developing having gone through several prototypes (and a lot of money) so far to get the absolute best combination of components for pilots unlike any other generic unit that you can get.

I wasn't going to sell the Recreational Flying GPS units in New Zealand but things have changed now so the units are all set up for NZ as well, and are now available for New Zealand...promotion of them over there at a very low introductory price with all NZ charts and features will start very soon, and at this stage, they will be handled by Corrine's family who live in Auckland for support and 1 year clean swap warranty

• Like 1

Gday Ian,

I saw in one of your earlier messages that you can laod "AirNav" charts into the unit. I current use a fully licenced version of "AirNav"vfr/for flight planning but not moving map.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

If we get the Rec flying gps and you load AirNav to it how do we keep the thing fully current (AirNav is updated twice a year). Also do we get the full suit of charts, ie , ERC low, VTC & VNC or is it only the WAC charts.?

Regards Bruce

I understand that you can load the route planned in AirNav onto it, but need the OziExplorer maps on the unit. AirNav doesn't work on Windows CE I understand.

But then the question is, why not just go straight for Ozi Explorer on the PC and use that for flight planning? I can't answer that, as I can't find anything that tells me I get actual air related charts from Ozi. Are they just topographical maps, or are the WAC's, VNC's etc?

Ryan

An update, please note that the Recreational Flying GPS units will be offered with a choice of charts...1. The usual MapTrax charts which from October will be provided by another company that is taking over the MapTrax solution

OR

2. You can elect to use the Sentient AirNav Flight Planner charts

So has this changed? Does it mean I can avoid using Ozi Explorer and only use AirNav? I understood I had to have Ozi Explorer CE on the unit, and get a PC version of Ozi Explorer for the charts? Or at least get the charts, which seemed to be the expensive bit.

Is this right:

• I need the unit

• I need Ozi Explorer CE on the unit, to make maps work? Is this the moving map part?

• I need some sort of planning software, either OziExplorer OR AirNav?

• I need the maps for use with the planning software AND the maps for the unit, but now they can all be AirNav maps, so I don't need OziExplorer PC or it's maps?

Basically I want to see if I can get the paper airservices maps I'm used to on the unit, and not use OziExplorer maps. I don't know them and hence don't want to trust them.

I really don't understand this and it's that which is holding me up on this I'm afraid. Sorry Ian, not trying to be dumb but it's a whole new world.

Is this right:

• I need the unit

• I need Ozi Explorer CE on the unit, to make maps work? Is this the moving map part?

• I need some sort of planning software, either OziExplorer OR AirNav?

• I need the maps for use with the planning software AND the maps for the unit, but now they can all be AirNav maps, so I don't need OziExplorer PC or it's maps?

Basically I want to see if I can get the paper airservices maps I'm used to on the unit, and not use OziExplorer maps. I don't know them and hence don't want to trust them.

I don't have one of these units, but this is my understanding of it all ...

The unit runs WindowsCE. OziexplorerCE runs on the unit. OziexplorerCE uses Maptrax Charts (which are identical to the paper charts you buy from Airservices as they are supplied to Maptrax by Airservices). All this provides you with Moving Map functionality.

For flight planning you need to use AirNav VFR (or Oziexplorer PC version but this is not as comprehensive at flight planning). AirNav VFR also sources it's charts from Airservices but these are encrypted and cannot be transferred to OziexplorerCE. AirNav VFR has moving map functionality but according to their website does not run on WindowsCE therefore does not run on the unit. It only runs on a Windows PC. So if you use AirNav VFR for flight planning you have to also purchase charts from Maptrax to load into the unit. You can however load the flight plan from Airnav VFR to the unit.

If you use Oziexplorer PC for flight planning (limited functionality) then you only need to buy the Maptrax charts as they can be loaded into Oziexplorer PC or OziexplorerCE which runs on the unit.

Bottom line (as far as I'm aware) - you can NOT use Sentient Airnav VFR flight planner charts on this unit as they are locked and not transferable to Oziexplorer.

It may be that Sentient Airnav VFR can now run on WindowsCE - but if it can, it's news to me.

Maybe others can help clear up the statement "2. You can elect to use the Sentient AirNav Flight Planner charts"

The units must have OziExplorer on them as the moving map engine...the charts can be either MapTrax which are available today or AirNav which will be available in the coming days

How does it compare to the Aware units...chalk and cheese, the Recreational Flying GPS units are far superior loaded with far more features, 10 times more versatile and much better hardware plus cheaper and supporting Australia and this site. The Recreational Flying units are designed, controlled and supported right here by me and not by an overseas company and sales agents...if you want any customisations done, any enhancements done, further development done, you only need to give me a ring as I am the one doing it for you...as I said, chalk and cheese

Thanks mate...the Recreational Flying GPS is so much different and better then any other system for the price that is available anywhere and it will keep on being improved. The RAAus mag is doing a review on the 5" unit and one is being given away in the Letters to the Editor competition.The new system that is installed on the units plays videos and music much better now as well...as a side note, plus the special components that we have used inside the GPS are much better then any other unit...several customers have reported that they are more accurate then Garmin, Tom Tom etc...this is because of the special circuity, electronics and even the casing that we created for them. This just like the EFB that we are developing having gone through several prototypes (and a lot of money) so far to get the absolute best combination of components for pilots unlike any other generic unit that you can get.

I wasn't going to sell the Recreational Flying GPS units in New Zealand but things have changed now so the units are all set up for NZ as well, and are now available for New Zealand...promotion of them over there at a very low introductory price with all NZ charts and features will start very soon, and at this stage, they will be handled by Corrine's family who live in Auckland for support and 1 year clean swap warranty

Ian

have been offline for a while, can you update me on availability of NZ variant.

Hi all,

Can anyone advise me if I can create a multiple leg plan on the 5" unit itself without buying Oziexplorer for my PC. If so, can anyone supply a step by step process to create a plan and make it a moving map format. So far I have worked out goto from departure point but without proper instructions, I am finding the map presentation difficult to master. Despite 25 years of using EFIS, Flight Directors, GPS, GNSS etc, thus far I do not finding the aviation portion of this unit to be intuitive to set up and operate, and the lack of step by step operating instructions does not assist. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Nevb.

G'day Ian,

I opened my 5" GPS yesterday (had it a while but it was a birthday present so had to wait!) and notice it has the latest menu system as per your post #101 here. However, when I tap on the "Favourites' icon I don't get the screen you show in #101. I get one icon only called "MioAutoRun". Tapping on this does nothing. What am I doing wrong.

Pud

G'day Ian,I opened my 5" GPS yesterday (had it a while but it was a birthday present so had to wait!) and notice it has the latest menu system as per your post #101 here. However, when I tap on the "Favourites' icon I don't get the screen you show in #101. I get one icon only called "MioAutoRun". Tapping on this does nothing. What am I doing wrong.

Pud

OH DARN IT...I knew one would slip past me sooner or later with me juggling the installations and charging at the same time of several units all at once...can you PM me with a time and number to give you a ring and it should be a simple fix

Presumably it will be the same as the 7" or my Navman for that matter. Go into OziEplorer, press VIEW select TOOLBARS select ROUTE CREATE TOOLBAR. The 4th button from the left on that toolbar is ROUTE PROPERTIES selct it. The press button WP then select from the list of waypoints & keep adding or use the 1st button on the TOOLBAR to create a waypoint.Once you get your head around it all's good.

Cheers

Dexter

EDIT: I might add I find it a lot easier to do on the PC but good to know there is a fall back position.

Thankyou Dexter, With the right information, you can create miracles. I will be interested to fly it now. Much appreciated.

Nevb.

G'day Ian,I opened my 5" GPS yesterday (had it a while but it was a birthday present so had to wait!) and notice it has the latest menu system as per your post #101 here. However, when I tap on the "Favourites' icon I don't get the screen you show in #101. I get one icon only called "MioAutoRun". Tapping on this does nothing. What am I doing wrong.

Pud

:celebrate:Happy Birthday pudestcon!