Recreational Flying GPS

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Birthday as well Pud

Thanks Ian,

I PM'd you regarding the GPS menu system but after fiddling around a bit more I activated the previous menu system as per the manual. I'll stick with that for a while and see how I go.

Pud

G'day Ian,

I have only used my 5" GPS unit in the car so far - waiting for the test pilot to fly off the test hours in the Thruster, but I have a peculiar thing with the GPS. When I am listening to the radio in the car on 100.1 fm (Curtin uni radio) and turn on the GPS, it immediately cuts off the reception from 100.1, no static or other interference, just silence. All other FM stations and AM stations are unaffected. What would be causing this do you reckon?

Pud

The frequency selected in the FM Transmitter of the GPS unit...turn the GPS on, select FM Transmitter, see what frequency it is set at...if it is the same as the station you are trying to listen to, change the frequency of the GPS unit to a blank frequency of your car stereo system.

Let me know if this is the case

G'day Ian,

I have encountered a problem with my 5" GPS and need some assistance. Using a flight plan set up on the unit, I have twice in the last week found that it navigates perfectly for about the first 40 to 60nm and then freezes. Can you please advise on a possible reason and a remedy.

NevB

G'day Ian,I have encountered a problem with my 5" GPS and need some assistance. Using a flight plan set up on the unit, I have twice in the last week found that it navigates perfectly for about the first 40 to 60nm and then freezes. Can you please advise on a possible reason and a remedy.

NevB

That sounds like an OziExplorer and Chart issue...can you give me a ring tomorrow (Mon) some time and let's see if we can work it out

That was not the problem at all...it is all fixed as it was simply caused by the "com" port being changed, and note that while there are generic standard car units out there being sold off as aviation units, the Recreational Flying units are unique in the way they have been developed with our own spec'd components unlike any other unit...a lot of specific changes were made to the Recreational Flying GPS units driven by a complete analysis of the units by an avionics technician who made many recommendations that were incorporated into the final released product. This is what we do with anything that has the Recreational Flying name on it just like we did with our Recreational Flying headsets and we are doing with our soon to be released EFB tablet PCs

Ian can i run OZTOPO on these units?

I am not sure Aaron as I haven't heard of OZTOPO before...the Rec Fly GPS is a Windows CE operating device so try and find out first if their product will work if installed on a Windows CE GPS unit and if they have a test version that can be tried first

Hi IanThis might sound like a strange question but can you orientate the screen to read it at 90 degrees to normal like the iphone

Ken

No Ken, the units don't have a sensor in them that allows for that however you can orientate the OziExplorer chart some ways by using the OziExplorer settings

Hi Ian

Any chance of a couple of screen shots pics of both orientations.

I am re-formatting the dash in my Pulsar at present and would like to fit the 7"unit, but the only way is to stand it up.

Anyone else tried this.

ken

• 1 month later...
That was not the problem at all...it is all fixed as it was simply caused by the "com" port being changed, and note that while there are generic standard car units out there being sold off as aviation units, the Recreational Flying units are unique in the way they have been developed with our own spec'd components unlike any other unit...a lot of specific changes were made to the Recreational Flying GPS units driven by a complete analysis of the units by an avionics technician who made many recommendations that were incorporated into the final released product. This is what we do with anything that has the Recreational Flying name on it just like we did with our Recreational Flying headsets and we are doing with our soon to be released EFB tablet PCs

Ian,

How far away do you think the EFB tablet is?, Iwould really prefer it over 7" Gps, but i dont know if I can wait.

Cheers,

Frank

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Buying maps as maptrax has closed it's door , can we buy single digital mapsThanks

Tony

Tony, I don't know if I will be doing single charts yet but will let you know

Is an external antenna available thus allowing the unit to be mounted out of the sunlight where unfortunetely it may also be out of view of the satelites?

I had the internal antenna beefed up when I first spec'd the units including replacing a part of the metal case where the internal antenna is located for even better reception. The answer to your question is no, there isn't any way to have an external antenna however you will probably find that they work just about anywhere in the cockpit...they work inside my office here at home

• Caution 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ian, I have a small issue and I should know how to fix it. I left my car with my daughter for the last 6 months and she did not charge the GPS. Now I have recharged and it only boots into Windows CE desktop and I cant find the Replacement desktop or the files to boot into the Car GPS or OziExplorer. No real rush but I'd like to fix it. I don't have the device at work but any hints would be good.

regards

Chris

Hi Ian, I have a small issue and I should know how to fix it. I left my car with my daughter for the last 6 months and she did not charge the GPS. Now I have recharged and it only boots into Windows CE desktop and I cant find the Replacement desktop or the files to boot into the Car GPS or OziExplorer. No real rush but I'd like to fix it. I don't have the device at work but any hints would be good.regards

Chris

Chris...with the unit on, insert one end of a paper clip into the little hole just above the SD Card slot on the side...you will have to feel for a little button inside the hole and when you find it, the unit will reboot. It should all be ok then although you may have to re-enter the current time

Chris...with the unit on, insert one end of a paper clip into the little hole just above the SD Card slot on the side...you will have to feel for a little button inside the hole and when you find it, the unit will reboot. ..

Hi Ian,

did that, the Splash screen showed, but did not go into the desktop. Is there an exe I can find. I'm not sure the files exist anymore, if I can find the folder location I could try to launch manually. Sorry CE is not my normal OS but I was pretty good with XP and Server 2003.

Hi Ian,did that, the Splash screen showed, but did not go into the desktop. Is there an exe I can find. I'm not sure the files exist anymore, if I can find the folder location I could try to launch manually. Sorry CE is not my normal OS but I was pretty good with XP and Server 2003.

Sounds like you have the old menu system...the best thing to do would be to give me a ring on 03 9444-8025