First Solo = Everyone gets a turn - Today its mine

Like a lot of others, I had my doubts at times of getting there, but today was my first solo day. Blue skies, not a cloud in the sky, a slight breeze straight down the runway and smooth still air. Three circuits with my instructor and then given his blessing to go it alone. It all went according to procedure, I even had time on downwind (after checks) to have a very quick look at the snow on the ranges. Slight nerves on short final knowing it was all me with no backup, but safely down I came. Ironically it was only when writing down the hours after shutdown, my hands started shaking. LOL. Stress release I guess. What a joy!

Today was a day to love life (and my wife and daughters) for letting me learn to fly. Yahoo! 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Phil

• Like 3

Congratulations Phil! It's a wonderful feeling that is still fresh in my mind. My instructor said, "Even if you never get to fly again, you can now call yourself a pilot."

I'm also glad that I'm not the only one that was shaking after the event! I had so much adrenaline flowing through my veins that I couldn't even do simple maths - I had to check my logbook entries three times!

Thank you for sharing... I look forward to hearing about your future adventures!

Guest davidh10

Great stuff, Phil. One of the big milestones in the learning process. I bet it feelt pretty good to be logging PIC.

I bet it feelt pretty good to be logging PIC.

Top stuff Phil. I remember scanning my logbook and emailing it to my family - even if it didn't mean anything to them, nothing was going to stop me telling the world! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Congratulations 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif. Of interest, may I ask the number of hours you had completed priot to your solo?...well done again.

014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif Phil, 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif Congratulations! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I have started PPL training too and I am also interested in how many hours you completed prior to going solo.

What aircraft are you training in? Tricycle or Taildragger??

Guest Des Funslow
Like a lot of others, I had my doubts at times of getting there, but today was my first solo day. Blue skies, not a cloud in the sky, a slight breeze straight down the runway and smooth still air. Three circuits with my instructor and then given his blessing to go it alone. It all went according to procedure, I even had time on downwind (after checks) to have a very quick look at the snow on the ranges. Slight nerves on short final knowing it was all me with no backup, but safely down I came. Ironically it was only when writing down the hours after shutdown, my hands started shaking. LOL. Stress release I guess. What a joy!Today was a day to love life (and my wife and daughters) for letting me learn to fly. Yahoo! 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Phil

Thank you all for your wishes and congratulations, it is one of the things i enjoy about the aviation community.

For Eightyknots and Jerrara:

In answer to the "hours to solo" questions: it was 14.8hrs; of which 6.3 was in a gazelle, I then switched schools and did the other 8.5 (and solo) in a Jabiru J120C. It was normally 7-10 days between each lesson at about 0.8 hrs per lesson. I am being careful in balancing family and flying. If the lessons were a bit more frequent and I hadn't changed schools I reckon it might have been a couple of hours sooner but really who cares, I am taking the attitude of enjoying the journey as opposed to measuring against milestones. My personal motto for flying is "I have the rest of my life to get it right" (which funnily enough is how I felt on short finals when I glanced at the empty right seat during the solo!)

Guest SAJabiruflyer

Well done, something to be proud of, it wasnt that long ago I was in your place. I found it's also something that non-aviation types just dont understand, luckily there are lots of nice people on here to congratulate you! :)