Dave Sykes coming to Australia

Ronin

What a trip, have been watching the progress of Dave Sykes and his massive trip from the UK to Australia, Dave is currently in Doha capital of Qatar, has had some serious weather, winds and water so far, you gotta give it to him he is determined, i will be one that would love to be there when he finalises his trip in Newcastle australia.

Eric Elbourne (Ronin)

I check his progress daily, just hope he can bypass the war zones else he might be mistaken for a spy plane or something.

What an adventure, his family's got to be proud of him.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steven Runciman

Guys,

There are plans for representatives from RA-Aus to meet him at the end of his hourney. I have also suggested a life honorary membership of RA-Aus.

Regards,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

He probably made it back to Thandwe airport and turned off the unit - let's hope. His track looks like 2 attempts to proceed with 2 returns - maybe turning back due to weather? It looks like real tiger country he was flying over. Ridges from 200m to 800m thick vegetation. Does he have a blog?

Sue

Just found his blog - his site is http://www.soloflightglobal.com/

The blog is a fantastic read - and Yes, it was weather.

This guy has courage - he's a paraplegic flying a Quik. Avgas shortages, grafting locals, atrocious weather, paperwork, getting thrown into taxis, it makes you so thankful its not you. I see he will be landing at a few places in Aust - If I can I hope to be able to see him land (and take off) when he gets nearer our place.

Sue

Still on the ground.

I wonder if he would be up for a Diamond Colibri - only 20 holders in the world in 21 years, including two guys who I think did the first round-the-world in a Microlight. He'd certainly be up there, but apparently you have to have the Silver award before being nominated.

Speaking of which - apparently one of the other holders, Brian Milton, left his London-Sydney microlight in Sydney airport. Does anyone know where??

Yep finally got a break in the weather he's been having, keep fingers crossed that he's over the really bad stuff, but with the way weather has been of late i wouldn't count on it just yet, continued good luck to him......

• 2 weeks later...
Great to see Dave is over the Malacca straits and heading for Malaysia...

He's certainly not afraid to fly over water is he. He's also getting into some pretty busy air space and airports.

Yep i think that would give most of us the heebeejeebees, air space now will be hectic into these areas Singapore is huge the amount of traffic is unbelievable to watch when i was there a few months ago...

Looking at Daves track just now, I get the impression he is out over the water to stay outside Malaysian territorial waters/airspace (12Nm from land) and may be going straight from Thailand to Indonesia.

Great to hear he is moving again - he spent 20 days stuck with Monsoonal weather. Kind of hope he gets delayed again, blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif so we can be home from hols to go out to greet him when he lands at Barcaldine Qld. Otherwise we will miss seeing him. What courage & perseverance! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Sue

Guest Crezzi
Looking at Daves track just now, I get the impression he is out over the water to stay outside Malaysian territorial waters/airspace (12Nm from land) and may be going straight from Thailand to Indonesia.

A lot of countries where the aviation is mostly either military or commercial tend to route VFR traffic along the standard airways albeit at much lower levels. I was told by the pilot of a previous UK to Australia trike flight that more than one third of the distance he covered was over water.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

That makes sense. I realised afterwards that he overflew Langkawi, which is part of Malaysia. I spent a week in Langkawi a couple of years ago, very nice place.

Looks like he's starting to move again, with another position report coming in 5 minutes ago.

Guest pembs

OK so I have just got Daves intended route and itinary dates are fluid as you can imagine but lets get ready to help this guy and show him some well deserved warmth

Kupang - Darwin - Tindal - Renner Springs - Barkly Homestead - Cloncurry - Barcaldine

Charleville - Nyngan - Dubbo - Somersby - Sydney Bankstown - Newcastle

I know Steve Runciman NQ rep is organising something from the RAaus for him which I think we can all agree after this feat will be well deserved, I think he would qualify for the come and get it trophy!

Guest Steven Runciman
I know Steve Runciman NQ rep is organising something from the RAaus for him which I think we can all agree after this feat will be well deserved, I think he would qualify for the come and get it trophy!

Graham,

You are right. I have asked that a representative meet him at Sydney, I think it should be the CEO. The CEO has said that it would be an honour for him to meet him. I also think that we should be giving him a life Honorary Membership to RA-Aus (which is voted on by the board according to the constitution and I do not think there will be any problem in this) in recognition of his achievement and I also think that we should be donating a sum of money (somewhere in the region of $1,000) to his chosen charity, the Yorkshire Air Ambulance, and the same amount of donation to be given to something like the RFDS on his behalf.

I am adamant that RA-Aus should mark this feat of aviation in an appropriate way and the points above are my ideas of a way that we should do this but I am open to suggestions and will take them to the board for consideration.

Regards,

Steve