Looking for that weather website.....

Guest Jake.f

Guest Jake.f

Just looking for that weather site that gives the 'aviation language' weather reports in plain English...

I have used it before but after a good half hour of looking cannot seem to find it on google or remember the name??

Thanks.

Guest Jake.f

Ahh yes that's the one, thanks for that.

I shal be sure to bookmark it now so I don't lose it again!!

Makes checking weather so much easier

Bit of a 'silly' name, but this is another good resource for local (ground) forecasts. I especially like the detailed wind forecast charts - just select you State / region / town and then click on the wind tab at the top of the page: http://www.willyweather.com.au/

Try moving your mouse over the wind chart for predicted wind strength for any given hour..

• 3 weeks later...

Plain English Met disappeared there again. Airservices changed their web address. Naturally an unofficial user like me doesn't get to hear about that .... thanks to Ian Baker for giving me a headsup. It was a 10-minute job to fix :-) Would have been a 2-minute job except I haven't been near the site for so long (it just works) and I had to refresh my ageing memory ....

Thanks again IB (Aus).

IB (Kiwi)

• Like 1

The plain english weather along with the "Official" weather info can be accessed from the weather page in the Australian section...click the Australian flag on the site's main menu

• Like 1

Guest Jake.f

Thanks for fixing it again! I was about to dig up this thread and mention it again but I just assumed it would be fixed soon. Silly airservices!

Guys, I can't stress enough IMHO to learn and know the official weather information, plain english is nice but downright dangerous if you rely on it and need to check the weather. The plain english has not shown reliability as we have often seen acess to it go up and down. If you can only access the "formal, official, legal" etc weather and you have forgotten what something means then you could be putting your life in jeopardy...In My Humble Opinion...the weather is the one thing that will really bite you

The same goes for GPS and Wiz Wheels/E6Bs...I relied on a GPS for far too long and if it broke down I have forgotten how to use an E6B/Wiz Wheel

Guest davidh10

Couldn't agree more Ian.

I always use NAIPS, and having done so regularly, I find that I don't have to look up many location acronyms anymore.

By the way; Anyone who has been vexed with all the GPS locations given in the VA SIGMETs, could look at the BOM Aviation VA Graphical alert. BOM is an authorised provider of aviation weather reports.

Guest Jake.f

I find the pemet to be suffiecient for my level at the moment, obviously when I start doing navs and such I will be using the official briefings.

The plain english weather along with the "Official" weather info can be accessed from the weather page in the Australian section...click the Australian flag on the site's main menu

Well blow me down! I just did a few days of Navs and I went the traditional route with that ridiculous Airservices Website!!!! Grrrr! bomb.gif.8dfedc171d37efc22ba0dd32e933ffc0.gif

Thanks Ian Boag for creating what sounds like an amazing bit of programming and for providing it to us for nothing... and Thanks Ian Baker for creating the link to make it all sooooo easy to use and the reminder that its been there (sort of) all along.

101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif101_thank_you.gif.c3e49b2b7a3fa3b8da69a8bfdccee05a.gif101_thank_you.gif.0bf9113ab8c9fe9c7ebb42709fda3359.gif