Dodgy ghetto rudder pedal mod...

.Evan.

A little while ago, I purchased those cheap Chinese rudder pedals from eBay. Like these:

When they came, I was disappointed to find that each pedal are both on separate axis. Not much help for flight sim, which wants one axis.

I don't want to take funds away from actual flying, so I decided to mod them so they wouldn't be wasted. So I went down to the local hardware store and got an offcut MDF board and put screws in around it so it doesn't move. Then I put an eyelet in behind the pedals and drilled a hole in each pedal. I had some nylon string-type-stuff sitting around, so I figured that will be slippery enough to easily move through the eyelet.

Rudder-Pedals.jpg.57e6152846adbb0bb4ed118473dd529a.jpg

Rudder-Pedals-Return-System.jpg.6db0089a8a9c310da1f40b7d21785ae9.jpg

The trick was to get the right tension on the string so the pedals would only return to the middle of their throw. Because they're individually sprung, they return (close) to centre by themselves. The down side is that I have to remember to lift the non-operating foot when I'm using them (something which I do naturally, anyway!)

I set the flight simulator up to only care about one axis, and it actually works pretty well! I'd love a Saitek or a CH, but that's a couple of hours of real flying that I could be doing! Maybe one day... prop.gif.61637aee349faef03caaa77c2d86cf41.gif

Just thought I'd share... 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Like 1

Guest Jake.f

That looks rather interesting... Thumbs up to you for not wasting them! haha. I still use FSX with keyboard and mouse :thumb_down: