July Edition of Sport Pilot Magazine

Admin

Evan,If you look at page 13 of the May/Jun magazine the offer is in there and page 70 of the Jul magazine shows you the winner of the gear for Jul.

Ah ha! Thanks Steve, it appears that I forgot about that little article right at the end. I must have stopped after directly after reading the candidate statements! 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Maybe your first passenger flight recently shown on this website should be submitted?

Hehe. I might do that. I've been hanging out for the latest issue so I know the email address to send some contributions I've got.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steven Runciman
Ah ha! Thanks Steve, it appears that I forgot about that little article right at the end. I must have stopped after directly after reading the candidate statements! 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gifHehe. I might do that. I've been hanging out for the latest issue so I know the email address to send some contributions I've got.

Evan,

Good luck, I look forward to reading the articles you have. :big_grin:

Regards,

Steve

Hello?

I was composing a response to Darky's valid question, and her post disappeared.

What's going on?

Ah, I see it's in a different thread not referring to this magazine

Guest davidh10
Hmmmm, David, are you a secret board member in disguise ?????The other David

No, David. At present, I don't have the available time to devote to doing justice to such a position.. Maybe in future years, I may think about it.

It was an offer in the last edition. See top right hand corner of front cover and bottom right hand corner of page 13.

Thanks Don...glad someone got my poor attempt at humour 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

. . . I must have stopped after directly after reading the candidate statements!

031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif. . .

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Oops, 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif Don! I didn't mean it like that... I meant that I finished reading about the candidates and thought it was the end of the magazine. 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

It was an offer in the last edition. See top right hand corner of front cover and bottom right hand corner of page 13.

Except that it wasn't a "free" offer. It was a competition which required effort for an opportunity to receive a reward. False advertising?

The cover was false advertising because there was no qualification as required by the Trade Practices Act

The prop on the cover came from Aerosport Australia's ad with some second rate art work which stuffed up the design.

But what stuns me the most is that no one sees anything immoral in using the Identity Brand from the Sport Aviation Association of Australia by calling the magazine Sport Pilot.

Guest davidh10
...But what stuns me the most is that no one sees anything immoral in using the Identity Brand from the Sport Aviation Association of Australia by calling the magazine Sport Pilot.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is an issue. It isn't the "Sport Pilot Association", but rather the "Sport Aircraft Association". It does not refer to its members as "Sport Pilots", but just as "Members". Their magazine is "Airsport", again not the same. Any association is a mental one, and perhaps a bit cheeky, but I don't think it contravenes any actual legalities.

The aims of the two organisations are different, albeit that there is an amateur-built segment within the RAA membership, but correct me if I'm wrong... SAAA does not issue Pilot Licenses / Certificates. Depending on the registration category if the amateur-built aircraft, it requires either a PPL or a Pilot Certificate to fly it. So, the interests are in part allied.

I don't see a problem.

Come on guys get serious & give the new publisher a break. How many of you have had a go at publishing something like this? I can't believe how picky we can be! The prop is different to Aerosports but similar, it has red tips and a similar curve on the blades but the reflections are different, the spinner is different, the blade mount at the hub is different. I'm sure no matter what propeller was put there it would look like someone's. Does it have to say RRP? Well they are not the only ones in breach then eg. Pacific Flyer just says AUST $7.50 NZ $8.20. At least Sport Pilot says "inc GST" as it should. If the name hasn't been challenged by now then get over it. I look forward to some critics here stories appearing in future editions to raise the quality that is felt by some to be lacking. Off my soap box now.Cheers

Dexter

It's artwork Dex, The white highlights on the leading edge of the blades would have to be taken out or with the white background it would look like the blades had gouges, the spinner needed to have more simplified shading for the larger size (or a lot more hours with an airbrush), and black line hubs give a sharper definition at the larger size.

At least Aerosport got the first facing page so it may have been a deal.

It is illegal to control the minimum price at which a retailer can sell your product. You can set a maximum price, but not a minimum, so if a retailer complained that he wanted to sell the magazine for $5.00 but the printed price was $7.70 there could be an issue. "RRP" resolves that.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is an issue. It isn't the "Sport Pilot Association", but rather the "Sport Aircraft Association". It does not refer to its members as "Sport Pilots", but just as "Members". Their magazine is "Airsport", again not the same. Any association is a mental one, and perhaps a bit cheeky, but I don't think it contravenes any actual legalities.The aims of the two organisations are different, albeit that there is an amateur-built segment within the RAA membership, but correct me if I'm wrong... SAAA does not issue Pilot Licenses / Certificates. Depending on the registration category if the amateur-built aircraft, it requires either a PPL or a Pilot Certificate to fly it. So, the interests are in part allied.

I don't see a problem.

If you use the "person of reasonable intelligence" measure, that person would reasonably expect that someone who flies a Sport Aircraft would be a Sport Pilot

Whether the SAAA has the name "Sport Pilot" registered or not I don't know, I was talking about the morals of doing this to a fellow Association, that it's US doing it, and I think it's disgraceful.

Guest davidh10
It is illegal to control the minimum price at which a retailer can sell your product. You can set a maximum price, but not a minimum, so if a retailer complained that he wanted to sell the magazine for $5.00 but the printed price was $7.70 there could be an issue. "RRP" resolves that.

It is illegal to exert price control on another company in Australia. That is why "Recommended Retail Price" is used. It is suggested by the producer or distributor, but cannot be mandated.

Would be great if I actually had the magazine to comment on. Still hasn't arrived (still, its only the 18th so they haven't broken the record yet. Be nice to receive it in July sometime.)

If you use the "person of reasonable intelligence" measure, that person would reasonably expect that someone who flies a Sport Aircraft would be a Sport Pilot

I don't get why an experimental aircraft home built by an SAAA member would necessarily be known as a "Sport Aircraft" and therefore the pilot is a "Sport Pilot". I don't make that connection at all in my mind (and I do regard myself as a person of "reasonable intelligence"....whether anybody else does is another story :big_grin: ). The only slight connection I can make is that the EAA in the USA (a similar organisation) has a mag called Sport Pilot.

On the other hand the RAAus has a worldwide recognised category of aircraft called "Light Sport". It is written on the side of the aircraft I train in. The RAAus mag is littered with companies that use "Sport" in their name. I can't see that SAAA has any more association with the generic word "Sport" than the RAAus does.

I'm not defending the choice of name, but I think the link between SAAA and the name "Sport Pilot" is pretty tenuous isn't it?

I bought a copy of Sport Pilot today to see what all the fuss is about.

I see that the feedback from the forum was clearly identified as such "Here are some of the opinions you offered on Recreational Forum. (de identified)"

Interesting article by Joel about the blocked pitot tube.

Carbon Cub seems interesting. Not a whole lot of useful load with a book empty wight of 423 kg and max of 599 kg. Add oil and unusable fuel to the book weight plus ...... I wonder what the real empty weight of an aeroplane is.

All good but not enough for me to want to buy it every month. This forum is often more informative and entertaining.

I am with you Turboplanner we are members of Recreational Aviation, we fly for Recreational purposes. Most of us are not Sport pilots. DON'T LIKE THE NAME.Alan Marriette.

Could'nt agree more "G" - I am a recreational pilot

Biggles

• Like 3

I wonder what "sport" really is.

Is it the sort of "sport" run by rich business people eg racing and a variety of football codes and basketball and sponsored by free airtime and opportunistic product placement.

Private flying is probably closer to the "sport" of gambling where you go in with a fat wallet and emerge with a much slimmer wallet.

Flying is addictive but in our case probably much more enjoyable.

Yesterday wasn't a real crash hot flying day so I went and watched a couple of games of Hurling and Camogie. Great sports, very dangerous (if you are too brave or stupid) with players and spectators really having a great time. outback.gif.91986d60389f6b0a565fa0f2980da0a8.gif (so many smilies, so little time)

Cheers

I think 'Hurling at Commode' was the usual grand finale to an Australian drinking game originating in/around Earls Court in London during the early sixties. Very similar to Barry Crocker's technicolour yodels?? The Irish play it different tho.