Head in the clouds

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion it is at least better to help someone then everyone helping no one...and that is what we have seen here...we may not make a difference to everyone but sure as hell we can make a difference to someone

You won't get any argument from me - as far as your statement goes, but it does concern me a bit that we seem to react emotionally to these things and I'd like to see a more encompassing response from the aviation community - along the lines of the EAA's Young Eagles initiative perhaps? Leverage off the publicity that this has created? One of the biggest stumbling blocks in my view is the current paranoia about child exploitation - I'm sure one of our members had something to do with working with kids, perhaps some guidelines wouldn't go amiss, as much to protect ourselves as the kids.

"... it does concern me a bit that we seem to react emotionally to these things and I'd like to see a more encompassing response from the aviation community - along the lines of the EAA's Young Eagles initiative perhaps? "

One of the infuriating aspects of the growth of organisations is the ever-increasing formalising of procedures, until initiative is totally stifled. Nobody can create guidelines that fit all situations; in fact many bureaucrats will misuse complex procedural rules to cover up ineptitude or worse, as I have found to my cost.

I remember our relief when the great Barry Jones was made Science Minister; we had such high hopes for Australian Industry to be transformed. Instead, he was bound by tedious processes and procedures. and had to go on the defensive when a wonderful Aussie invention failed to get any assistance: "...it just doesn't fit the guidelines".

Perhaps the worst example was shown in an old movie; British solders forced to join an orderly queue to be issued with extra ammunition, as hordes of Zulus over-ran their position.

Let's leave a little leeway for common sense and "gut feelings".

• Like 2

I think his initiative should be rewarded, and what better way than by giving him some practical experience in the air flying a plane - something he is obviously passionate about. If he happens to learn some aerodynamics along the way then that will be a good too. He is a clearly gifted young man and fostering his obvious talent in that area seems like a good idea.

Who knows, one day he might do us the ultimate honour and design another recreational aircraft.

With regard to the more encompassing approach - The Give Youth Flying a Chance (or whatever its called) is all about that. We appear to have missed Solomon somewhere along the lines however. Thank god for the ABC.

I met up with Howard in wollongong today to pick up Solomans (near) new headset. Was good to meet another forumite, and even though he has my dream job in my dream (GA) aeroplane, he is certainly one of the 'boys'. Thanx heaps for your kind donation to solomans cause.

I don't understand why every thread has to end up in political diatribe, its very tiring. But seeing as some of you can't live without it....here goes...

We are currently lobbying the state govt for funding to introduce subsidized training into highschools in the area and looking into getting "aviation studies" accredited as an elective. Obviously with a government subsidy and a reduced hourly rate to students involved in the program, it would make it much more affordable.

Some time ago i wrote letters to the Airforce and Navy cadets in the area, offering to partner up and offer reduced rate training to cadets, to which i recieved 'zero' response. Not even a thanx but no thanx, from either of them.

We had a duty pilot scheme operating at the club, where young guys (and girls) could help with the running of the place, fueling, doing paperwork, pulling out planes etc in exchange for FREE flying. But the old 'hats' didnt like it and got it squashed. They had to pay their way when they learned to fly (back before man landed on the moon for most of them) so be damned if any youngsters going to get a leg up while they are around.

This industry, like many others, seems full of many that can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. At least the response to solomans cause has highlighted the fact that the RAA still has some 'spirit' and im overwhelmed by the responses we have had.

I have spoken to Soloman, and we are all set to start his training in the september holidays.

Ian has organized the student pilot kit to be sent to his house so he can start studying and get some of the theory under his belt before he arrives.

• Like 2

Guest Howard Hughes
We had a duty pilot scheme operating at the club, where young guys (and girls) could help with the running of the place, fueling, doing paperwork, pulling out planes etc in exchange for FREE flying. But the old 'hats' didnt like it and got it squashed. They had to pay their way when they learned to fly (back before man landed on the moon for most of them) so be damned if any youngsters going to get a leg up while they are around.

Thought that was the way all the keen aviators got their start in 'the good old days', there was even a name for it 'hangar rats', of course I am not old enough to remember!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

we have 'aviation studies' as a subject for years 11 and 12 in tassie...gets BAK out of the way with heaps of other info as well...

There is an aviation elective in about twelve schools in New Zealand as well.

Looking Forward to the Test Flight Video's, Great Stuff.A few Training Video's with Motz will be good as well!

Ulti has a great Camera, maybe he has updated it and the old one is lying round gathering dust!

I have one you are welcome to, However it is not HD!:chat:

pls, do that i love to have one . i dont mind wether hd or not as long as doing the job mate!!!!045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

I am extremely happy to announce that I have spoken to Solomon and to motzartmerv and can advise that Motza has offered to train Solomon to Solo for free. Motza has also organised an aircraft to be donated for the training as well what's more is that as Solomon is in Melbourne and Motza is in Nowra, he will fly down and pick Solomon up and start him on his lessons on the way up. He has also organised accommodation for Solomon up there as well plus a talk with some pilots there who are currently building their own aircraft.I am going to put it to the board that the RAAus donates a Student Membership for Solomon as well

What more can I say but a huge...no MASSIVE thanks to Motzartmerv and the crew at Jaspers Brush for helping out this kid who has shown the dream to one day fly

thats relly a great news for me and my familly. i am very greatfull for all offer i am getting. thank you all for giveing me the opportunity.

Yep that is where I went to high school eightyknots, Tauranga Boys College and that is where I went solo ... long long time ago.David

Aargh geez, David! Wadja avta say that for? Some of us were starting to like you... Never mind... My Great Grandfather was born over there, and his descendents turned out OK, so yours might too, eh? :kiwi: Seriously though, one of the best pilots I flew with in the US, Keith, started out as a hangar rat. His parents were dead set against him going near airplanes, so he used to sneak off to the airport on his bike to clean windscreens, wash oily bellies etc, etc.. Eventually they did allow him to go off and get an A&P mechanic's licence. Keith says it was all down hill from there. strong.gif.dc81ffdb7807ef709604a09d84c59938.gif If only one in every hundred turn out as good an airman as Keith did though, then I'm all for encouraging the youngsters.

...and better still...The Aviation Theory Centre are going to donate a Student Pilot Kit which includes a BAK, Flying Training Manual, Flight Radio book and also, that all important Log Book.Brian Bigg, the Sport Pilot Magazine is going to do a story on it in our magazine after Solomon has done his lessons

(Frank, yes Solomon is now a member of the site...see his first post in this thread)

I have just received the Pilots kit, i cant thank enough to those that had donated it. it's going to be a great help! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I met up with Howard in wollongong today to pick up Solomans (near) new headset. Was good to meet another forumite, and even though he has my dream job in my dream (GA) aeroplane, he is certainly one of the 'boys'. Thanx heaps for your kind donation to solomans cause.I don't understand why every thread has to end up in political diatribe, its very tiring. But seeing as some of you can't live without it....here goes...

We are currently lobbying the state govt for funding to introduce subsidized training into highschools in the area and looking into getting "aviation studies" accredited as an elective. Obviously with a government subsidy and a reduced hourly rate to students involved in the program, it would make it much more affordable.

Some time ago i wrote letters to the Airforce and Navy cadets in the area, offering to partner up and offer reduced rate training to cadets, to which i recieved 'zero' response. Not even a thanx but no thanx, from either of them.

This industry, like many others, seems full of many that can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk. At least the response to solomans cause has highlighted the fact that the RAA still has some 'spirit' and im overwhelmed by the responses we have had.

I have spoken to Soloman, and we are all set to start his training in the september holidays.

Ian has organized the student pilot kit to be sent to his house so he can start studying and get some of the theory under his belt before he arrives.

Aviation studies is a subject in 7 schools in WA. There is very little government funding provided to ALL schools. Kent St receives a fair amount of government funding due to the fact they were the first school in Australia to do aviation as a subject. They own 2 aeroplanes (a C152 and a C172) and they have built a few RVs as projects for Year 12s. They have a group of teachers (also instructors) and a LAME. Our class went from ~25 in year 8 (first year of high school in WA) to just 8 people in Year 11 (my year) it's not an easy course and requires a lot of commitment. Most of the Year 10, 11 and 12 theory is at CPL level and all of the tests include short and long answer segments, not just multiple choice! Makes it a fair amount harder to achieve a high result. There's no reason other states couldn't implement the course into their schools, the syllabus is there for aviation in WA. The real problem is having a teacher that is both an instructor and qualified to teach kids (remember, we learn differently to the way you learn!) which generally means a B. Education. The schools that are achieving top aviation results in the WACE exams are the schools that have the combined teacher/instructors.

To Solomon,

Mate, you've really got some talent. What you're doing is not only an inspiration to us young blokes but also the older ones. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Just remember, aviation can be dangerous, make sure you check, double check and triple check your aeroplane. Get the help of other pilots and engineers, we're all here to help! You've got what looks like a really good attitude and that's what's needed in aviation.

Remember this saying, "Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terrible unforgiving of any carelessness incapacity or neglect." - Captain A. G Lamplugh

Good luck, if you need anything be sure to post.

A very moving human interest event. Good on you Andy. There was a young fellow in Nigeria? who built himself a plane and I think the EAA fellows banded together to assist him to get flying, too. Enthusiasm and endeavour should be rewarded. While we cannot find ALL the worthy causes out there ones like this will inspire many of us to greater achievement. Nev

Just booked his flight to sydney. The plan was to fly down and get him, but the wx isn't looking the best. I'll fly him home instead (well, he can fly me home).

Evrythings ready to go and training should start on friday.

We have quite the itinery planned for Solomon. Visits to garages where aircraft are being built, restored, slapped together..lol..

I found an old KR2 in a container recently, thats in some serious need of TLC, im hoping to contact the owner and see if he would let us (solomon) restore it to flying condition ( or as close to as possible).

Thanx again to Blueshed and Howard Hughes for their donations to solomons cause. And of course Liz (foxy) for the use of her (pink) aeroplane.

I will be blogging the training, so watch this space..

cheers

• Like 6

Just booked his flight to sydney. The plan was to fly down and get him, but the wx isn't looking the best. I'll fly him home instead (well, he can fly me home).Evrythings ready to go and training should start on friday.

We have quite the itinery planned for Solomon. Visits to garages where aircraft are being built, restored, slapped together..lol..

I found an old KR2 in a container recently, thats in some serious need of TLC, im hoping to contact the owner and see if he would let us (solomon) restore it to flying condition ( or as close to as possible).

Thanx again to Blueshed and Howard Hughes for their donations to solomons cause. And of course Liz (foxy) for the use of her (pink) aeroplane.

cheers

Onya MM: it's so great to see you encouraging young (and enthusiastic) Solomon. You're a legend :clap2:.

Just booked his flight to sydney. The plan was to fly down and get him, but the wx isn't looking the best. I'll fly him home instead (well, he can fly me home).Evrythings ready to go and training should start on friday.

cheers

Good on you MM, you're doing us proud.