Flying in NZ

Hi all,

I'm considering going to NZ for a couple of weeks in Dec and was wondering whether I'd be able to fly there.

I'm assumed an Australian PPL would be valid in NZ?

Would it be more sensible to fly with an FI since I don't have lots of experience flying in mountainous areas and all the fun that comes with that?

Suggestions about where to fly are also welcome :)

Cheers!

Guest davidh10

I highly recommend a helicopter flight over the glaciers in the south island. It was the highlight of our trip, for my wife and myself, a few years back. It is very popular. You may have to book the flight before you get to New Zealand.

Note that after a lot of years of the glaciers retreating, they have been getting longer again. Oh, but don't tell the people who are wedded to global warming theories!

Hi Darky, let us know when your plans firm up beyond "considering" 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif.

Also, have a look at the thread Flying the Bravo vs Super Echo, post #8 about the mountain flying experience in New Zealand. http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/flying-the-bravo-vs-super-echo.1868/

Darky...I have a PPL and about 11 years ago I was over visiting family and took my mother up for a flight in a 172. I went through a flying school at Paraparaumu Airport on the west coast of the North Island. If I had of wanted to do a check ride I could have hired the plane but wasnt interested in ongoing flying so just took one of their FI along for the ride. The radio calls were a little different if I recall correctly so he did the radio and I flew the trip. Was a spur of the moment thing and it worked well. Went out around Kapiti Island and back. Was nice. I went back and did an hour aerobatics in their Tiger Moth after that. Was great! I believe that Moth is now at Wanaka working with a sight seeing place. www.classicflights.co.nz

Wanaka is a beautiful place with lots of Aviation history as does Omaka.

Scotty 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

I went through a flying school at Paraparaumu Airport on the west coast of the North Island. If I had of wanted to do a check ride I could have hired the plane but wasnt interested in ongoing flying so just took one of their FI along for the ride.

That's what I'm thinking of doing, just taking an FI along to save the bother of doing a checkflight etc.

Next step is to plan where in NZ we intend to go so I know what airfields to contact I spose!

If you are in Hamilton check out my old Aero Club (Waikato Aero Club). I still keep in contact with some of the people there. They are a very friendly mob & will look after you. There are 2 Archer 2s, 1 Archer 3, 2 C172s 180HP engined, an Arrow and a twin Comanche on line for hire plus a couple of Alpha trainers and a Sim. Contacts are on the website http://www.flywaikato.co.nz/

Kevin

yep - australians are welcome to any airfield in NZ - the language barrier is not that difficult to overcome ...................... the people are friendly and the sheep are ...............

I was there 2 months ? ago - Timaru - about 150 kms south of Christchurch - and hired a tomohawk (with instructor) and flew north - about 50 kms to some island strip (island on a river). very interesting airfield - some pics attached.

NZ seems a small place in comparison to Australia - so its a visual feast when flying

Hire rate was about $ 190 / hour NZ

NZ awaits but try and not strangle the vowels when talking

JM

2nz.jpg.d2c9d993b81b09e0fea864d414f92e19.jpg

nz1.jpg.73689685fc1382086ec27d0ceeecf26b.jpg

3nz.jpg.3e1b09320655a64016af293b3329073b.jpg

I think Hamilton is where Cliff Tait is based, he is an interesting character.

Ardmore is the equivalent of Bankstown or Moorabbin, but they have air/ground not ATC.

Before you go look at the NZ CAA website and maybe Airways Corp. I'm sure the instructor manual is online so there must be other info there.

Hi all,I'm considering going to NZ for a couple of weeks in Dec and was wondering whether I'd be able to fly there.

I'm assumed an Australian PPL would be valid in NZ?

Would it be more sensible to fly with an FI since I don't have lots of experience flying in mountainous areas and all the fun that comes with that?

Suggestions about where to fly are also welcome :)

Cheers!

Hi Darky

Perhaps give Sylvia Kappl a call at Peter Binni's on o3 9580 5295?

Sylvia and her partner went to Warbirds over Wanaka and hired a C182 to do the trip around. She said the scenery on the South Island was just incredible.

I'm envious!

kaz

NZ awaits but try and not strangle the vowels when talking

JM

Thet's right. I hev luvved un Enzed four about a dickade and I am stull not yoosed to the twusted vowels in the lenguage.

I just love coming back to my home country (Oz), which happens a minimum of 2 or 3 times a year, to hear Australian accents as well as seeing my family and friends. After returning, I have to "tune in" to the NZ vowels again every time.

The scenery is very pretty here.