Converting From 3 Axis to 2 Axis

In an aircraft you move the control whether it be stick, control column or rudder pedal, in the direction you wish the aircraft to go.In wheelies stick forward to push nose down, three point landing tail wheel aircraft stick back to drop the tail.

Tricycle undercarriage same thing, stick back to lower tail.

Rudder peddles push right to turn right, push left to turn left.

A Trike is reversed....bar forward nose rises, bar back nose dives.

Rudder pedals push right aircraft turns left, push left aircraft turns right.

The dirtbike example is similar to what you would do when sideslipping an aircraft.

Having said all that, if you fly both types regularly there is not usually a problem.

Alan.

Haven't had a lot of experience (only TIF) in this type of aircraft, but as it is a weight shift machine I just went thru the process of turn left, pull left and vice versa. As for ascend and descend think of yourself as the front tip of the wing, pull down, push up. If one has ones wits about one (as one should when in charge of an aircraft, boat motor vehicle) then surely a mistake would be unlikely. My biggest trauma was getting used to nothing around me. But after ten minutes I settled down and had a great time. I asked the instructor about stalls and he demonstrated one. I must admit, I was hardly aware that we had stalled and all we were doing was sinking. All in all a great experience and I can't wait to move closer to a field where I can get an endorsement on these.

Just my 2 bobs worth,

When converting from 3 axis to weightshift the main thing to get into your head right from the start it to fly the wing and not worry what the pod is doing as it will follow and any control input you make to the wing.

Quite easy infact as with the trike you only have 4 main movements for all your control.

Fly the wing, push the bar out you raise the angle of attack and climb, pull the bar back towards you you come down, look in the direction you want to turn and lower that wing tip.

I started 3 axis back in 87 and did 23 hrs before the recession we had to have stopped me.

In 2004 i started triking and found it quite easy to adapt too as you have to get it into your head right from the start to fly the wing and fly only the wing.

Xmas last year i converted back to 3 axis and found that easy also, i now fly both quite often.

Hope this makes some sense.

Merry christmas to all the flyers out there have a safe and prosperous new year, and keep the rubber side down unless your an aerobatic pilot.

Cheers Alf

"Fly The Wing". Irrespective of whether you fly 3-axis or weight-shift.

Bank left - turn left.

Wing level- fly straight & level

Bank right - turn right.

Push bar forward - increases AoA, you fly slower.

Pull bar back - AoA decreases, you fly faster.

A wing doesn't know what sort of aeroplane it is attached to - it only knows how to make lift. Think - and fly - angle-of-bank and angle-of-attack.

In a strong crosswind, land a trike directly into the wind, diagonally across the runway. Your groundspeed will be minimal, with zero sideways drift. You will probably need to apply power to get to the other side of the runway. Turn the crosswind into a headwind.

Fly the wing, not hands, arms and feet. Make the wing go where it has to go and the rest of the aeroplane, be it a 747, an RV, an SR-71 or a trike, will go there with it.

Fly the damn wing!

Thanks flindersflyer,

As you are well aware our wings don't have ailerons as do 3 axis nor we have rudder so we don't really perform the same way as fixed wing 3 axis aircraft other than we turn, climb & descend just with different control inputs.

Maybe us trikers should say were under a sit glider wing instead of a hanglider wing lol.

Fly the wing and not the pod is the easiest way to put it.

Cheers

Alf