Pubs I want to fly to one day....

Ok- time to get the pub directory and the WAC out as a beer coaster! Where would you like to fly to, or have already and want to share, where you can fly to in your aircraft, taxi - up and spend a night or two. Reminiscing with the country folk over a few quite ales. This great brown land is perfect in our escape vehicles and has never looked more stunning. Look forwardto hearing from everyone.

Gentlemen(and ladies) start your engines( and planning!)

• Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK..first one that comes to mind is of course...Birdsville pub, races are on first weekend of September, no accomodation at the pub that weekend of course, but you can camp "underwing" if you like crowds.. great weekend, (Iam thinking of going ) if not any other time the accomodation is 3.5 star (so very comfy) food is excellent and staff friendy. mogas is available opposite the pub at the servo and of course aviation fuels are aplenty (although costs a bit more) anybody flying out race weekend, make sure you have everything current (including your fuel log) as you can bet certain parts of the anatomy that the casa rampers will be out and about.

• Like 1

This one is a gold resort... A group of Ra-Aus pilots will be staying at the resort next month and one of the couples is flying in to the "International Airport" in a Savanah S...

------> http://www.lagunawhitsundays.info/

I have stayed at the Resort before and its bizarre... A luxury resort in the middle of no-where with a great BIG airstrip next to it...

I am not sure if any other Ra-Aus aircraft have flown here much before but I reckon it is a great place for a weekend stay by aircraft...

• Like 1

Ok- time to get the pub directory and the WAC out as a beer coaster! Where would you like to fly to, or have already and want to share, where you can fly to in your aircraft, taxi - up and spend a night or two. Reminiscing with the country folk over a few quite ales. This great brown land is perfect in our escape vehicles and has never looked more stunning. Look forwardto hearing from everyone.Gentlemen(and ladies) start your engines( and planning!)

1. Innamincka... haven't flown there yet.

2. Hillston

3. Gascoyne Junction (if they rebuild it)

4. Bangemall (if they re-licence it)

kaz

• Like 1

Great thread! I'll be reading this one with interest, I'm sure there are lots of places I don't know about yet that I'd love to see! Here are a few, I'll try to think of more.

Ones I've been to:

Arkaroola, SA

You have to go here. It's a resort, not a pub, but it has a great bar. It is run by Doug and Marg Sprigg, whose Dad was a famous geologist. Doug runs a charter business out of there with a C207 and an Auster, and he loves pilots. Fly in there to be treated like a long-lost friend. Fly over the resort or use the radio at the strip for pick up. If you want a longer sealed strip try Balcanoona. There's a good restaurant, two huge and powerful proper observatories for watching the stars without city lights, pool, accommodation from camp sites to motel rooms, wildlife and rocks galore, yellow footed rock wallabies, crystals lying on the ground. Amazing place. Fly over Lake Frome, so white is is used to white balance satellites.

Birdsville, QLD

If you like beer cans piled feet high and people passed out on the streets, go for the races. Otherwise, choose another time! The pub is at the airport.

Innamincka, SA

You can walk down from the strip. It is a good pub, there's a local store (Trading Post), take your tent and camp on the banks of the beautiful Cooper Creek (an easy walk). Real Burke and Wills country.

No pubs but must see places if you are in that area:

The Corner Store, corner country (NSW/QLD/SA)

Land on the strip then taxi along the public road, take the first right and taxi up to the car park. Pick up supplies in the store, taxi back down the road to the strip and off you go. Probably best to give way to cars, there are a few tourists not expecting to see aircraft on their road. There are bowsers for cars if you can use that fuel!

The Dig Tree, QLD

It's on the border with SA, there are two strips on Nappa Merrie, you want the one near the river. There's sure no pub, there's not much there at all, but it is a short easy walk to the real life Burke and Wills dig tree.

Ones I want to go to:

Cracow Hotel, QLD

Run by the Fred and Sandy Brophy of boxing tent fame, there is a strip nearby.

Dingo Roadhouse QLD

(From the recommendations on this site!)

Not really pubs:

Lake Mungo NSW

I would love to see that landscape. Not a pub, more like a motel, but they have a strip.

Undara Lava Tubes, QLD

Also not a pub so I'm stretching the definition, but there is a strip.

• Like 2

Betoota (last time I as there was 1969 and Russell Drysdale had done a painting on the inside of the outside dunny door)

Back in Victoria...

Benambra (Ben Buckley's hometown.. http://www.omeoregion.com.au/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&catid=9&sobi2Id=2&Itemid=25)

Micky Bourke's at Koroit (land at Warrnambool Airport http://mickeybourkes.com.au/index.php?page=history. Michael and Ellen Bourke are no longer with us but the hotel's Celtic history and stories of Michael's stewardship of it are legendary)

kaz

Brown Brothers Winery at Milawa Vic...now there's an idea. I have looked for airstrips in the wine country of SA but only found Aldinga Beach in the McLaren Vale.

Another great strip is at Loam Reastaurant on the Balarine Peninsula near Queenscliffe at Philip Myer's property. Just got nominated for best new restaurant. Very Degustation style Menu, where you have to look for the food on the plate...but worthy of a stop anyday.

Philip is flying sea-planes in Tasmania these days http://www.flyingboat.com.au/html/philip_myer.htm

The William Creek pub. In the middle of absolutely nowhere.:big_grin:... Interesting collection of rocket bits from the desert. from when Aus had a space program..:Norton:..Av gas bowser too. Lot of GA stuff when I went last year as Lake Eyre was in flood...

Marcus

Undara Lava Tubes, QLD

Also not a pub so I'm stretching the definition, but there is a strip.

Undara has rooms and camping and a bar & meals - close to being a pub.

Going there for a fly-in in a fortnight - will give an update after that - last time was about 15years ago.

Frank M

Here is a map of airstrips that I've used that are 1km or less from food and beer.

I consider 1km just a good bit of exercise after sitting in an aircraft for hours.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?msid=208172682501724513260.0004ab2697c752a1eb177&msa=0&ll=-28.690588,133.330078&spn=40.342952,50.537109

I don't know how to load a map like this into the site, but it seems that it should be accessed by one of those separate buttons. And it should be open to additions and corrections by everyone. Don't know if this is possible. Maybe need to have additions posted in a thread and a moderator add them to the map. A map is such a good way to present them visually, then just click on the balloon to get the details. And then click on 'Satellite' to see the layout. I guess Ian is pretty busy, but it would be good if we could get something like this going.....

JG

• Like 1

JG, Auski RH is a great spot. Parraburdoo has a sealed airstrip and it's about a 15 min walk to the towns pub. It wasn't on your google map but thought I'd let ya know.

Parraburdoo is actually about 3 km from the pub. Like you say it's still walkable, but I had to draw a line somewhere and chose 1km.

JG

No one has mentioned the Toompine Pub.

Its a great little pub between Quilpie and Thargominda.

Not sure about fuel availablity but rooms and plenty of beer is available, and usually a good back packer to look at ;).

No official landing strip but i have seen the odd plane drop in and say hi in fact my boss got a good photo of a lightwing ( i think )

and an R44 parked up at the pub.

No one has mentioned the Toompine Pub.Its a great little pub between Quilpie and Thargominda.

Not sure about fuel availablity but rooms and plenty of beer is available, and usually a good back packer to look at ;).

No official landing strip but i have seen the odd plane drop in and say hi in fact my boss got a good photo of a lightwing ( i think )

and an R44 parked up at the pub.

I left Toompine out because the strip is more like 3km from the pub. I walked in, and scouted places to land my Savannah just across the road, but off course can't recommend that.....

Their signature - "Toompine, the pub without a town."

JG

Good job JG3, what a great map!

If just talking food and drinks, I can think of a few more, some a bit obvious and not all that 'country' so maybe not in the spirit of it, but good for a stop.

Comeroo Camel Station, NSW

Now this one is an outback place. I haven't been here, it's on my wish list. They have a strip, bar, accommodation, and camels.

Wilpena Pound, SA

There is a strip at the resort. Unsealed and quite short from memory.

Temora, NSW

It is such an aviation friendly town, just about anyone (on the airport, or the motel owners) will take you to town. Of course there is an aviation museum there, and the flying days are great. It doesn't have to be a flying day though, just have a look at the museum and enjoy the town. Looooong sealed runways, fuel.

Wollongong, NSW

There is a great little restaurant/cafe right on the airport, looking over the runway. It is (or was) open day and night and was a popular night flying spot. If there during the day, drop into HARS to see the Connie, Catalina and Hunter. Sealed runways, fuel.

Cessnock, NSW

In the heart of the Hunter Valley. There is a cafe at the airport, I haven't been in there. There is a basic motel on the airport grounds, just tie down and walk over, you can see your aircraft from your motel room. There are buses from the airport. You can visit the wineries, do the tours, stay somewhere flash or right on the airport. Also the manager of Hunter Valley tourism is a private pilot if you need local advice. Sealed runway.

Toowoomba, QLD

The aero club has a bar which is only open on Friday nights, but it is still a bar! There is a motel (not a very good one) in walking distance, a bit further away is cholesterol corner with every type of fast food, supermarket, and a pub with a Pitts tail in the wall. The pub has good food and cheap motel rooms. Sealed and grass runway, fuel.

Kingaroy, QLD

There was a cafe on the side of the airport, just through the fence, a good place for lunch. (But someone said it had closed? Does anyone know? Has it re-opened?) Sealed runway, fuel.

Kooralbyn, QLD

The strip is right near the shops and walking distance to the resort and golf course, but do check before you go because the resort was closed for some time, I believe it was being reopened. Pot-holed sealed runway, no fuel, although there is a service station next to the airport if you use car fuel.

Caboolture, QLD

The aero club building did have food and a bar but it is currently closed due to a fire. Not to worry, there is a pub in walking distance on the same road as the airport. Not a country pub, just a suburban type one. It has good food and quite modern motel rooms (spa rooms etc). You can also get a bus from near the pub to the railway station if you need to go anywhere. Grass runways, fuel.

Merimbula, NSW

It's not that far to walk into town from the airport. I've done it, but you might not want to do it lugging bags. Sealed strip, fuel. It's a beautiful coastal town.

Stating the obvious now:

Bankstown, NSW

There is a big pub across the road. It's just a suburban pub though, not with the character of the country ones.

Lake Clifton WA..about 20nm south of Mandurah, has a 900 metre airstrip which is a very easy less than a hundred metres from the Tavern, then you have an easy stagger to the caravan park which is next door to the tavern which is quite handy..I know this because I jumped out of perfectly good aeroplanes there.(yep you guessed it, wearing dunlop runners) pity it is so far away from here had some good times there:celebrate:

Good job JG3, what a great map!If just talking food and drinks, I can think of a few more, some a bit obvious and not all that 'country' so maybe not in the spirit of it, but good for a stop.

Good suggestions, thanks, I'll add them when I get the time. This doesn't have to be only country pubs. Might be good to use different coloured markers for different sorts of experience. I'll work on that.

Welcome all suggestions, and we can make something interesting of this I reckon....

Keep 'em coming.

JG