Another stall and spin in a jump aircraft

Guest ozzie

Not sure what the two muppets up front were doing but working on a quick recovery was not one of them. Have a look at the elevator everytime it comes into view.

I gather problems with jump planes are not rare? The CFI of the flight centre I'm training at said a local bloke ran out of fuel and had emergency landings (one was really a crash) twice in less than a year.

Looks like it was on purpose to me. Holding out of spin aileron and stick back. All for show, and some pretty amazing shots of the spinning aircraft from the jumpers. BUT.... Why in the world would you??.... How many jumpers and pilots have been killed over the years from getting hung up on tailplanes etc. Just bloomin crazy if ya ask me. Id be ripping the gold bars straight off him and slapping him about the head with them..

• Like 1

Crikey! I'm not knowledgeable in jump-craft ops but I began to think perhaps it was an intentional trick for extreme parachuting. Those guys up front looked very calm and didn't look as if they were doing anything - not even to recover. They were lucky the craft didn't go beyond Vne and break apart with the G's.

Seconded.....it was a very stable spin, not accelerated at all as you might expect if someone was doing all the wrong things to recover. And it did recover quickly when it needed to.

A fast way of losing height I guess, not a game I would like to play though.

It seems a very common theme with the Porter and skydivers. I've seen this kind of thing many times and it is very obviously intentional. The good old porter is a very forgiving aircraft and it makes great footage watching it spin down besides the divers.

Don't think it was a game. This was a working aircraft and it had to go through not only an inspection but also a stress analysis. That would be costly. It looks like it may have been a check ride gone wrong. A classic 'hey i thought you wuz flying'. Maybe Cpt Flash is a Airbus pilot in his other job.

Running out of fuel twice in one year. And managed to miss the runway twice from overhead at height. Seems to be more of a problem with weight critical cessnas with poor performance pilots.

Turbines can decend at over 4000fpm and carry decent fuel. The Cresco carries full forward tanks for a forward cg and flies on the rears carrying enough for four loads and refuels every three. Fortunatley training for jump pilots has improved greatly over the last 5 years in Australia so events like this should be rare.

Ozzie

http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83041

Seems the video version was correct and the spin not intentional - Velocity on the forum above is aka Graham Field, the tandem jumpmaster identified near the beginning of the video. The aircraft is a turbine conversion of an ex SAAF Atlas Kudu, nee Lockheed / Aermacchi AL-60. They were sold off very cheaply about 20 years ago and most languished in hangars around the country, some bent, being expensive to keep fed n watered as well as being reputed to be a bit of a handful on the ground. They have recently come into their own with the turbine conversion and are popular jump aircraft - bridging the gap between a C206 and C208.

Must have been intentional, note how the rotation was stopped once the jumper tapped the pilot on the shoulder and then jumped. The last jumper was lucky not to wear the aircraft.

I watched it again and sorry, I`m still not convinced it wasn`t intentional!Frank.

I agree with Frank. And why did the aircraft have those special inspections and the pilots go through retraining etc? Well, because someone in the FAA saw the video, that's why. Folks who do this sort of thrill seeking understand that one is never punished for the crime. One is only punished for being caught.

To settle the intentional or not discussion... I believe (after watching the video) the initial spin was unintentional,

What evidence supports this beliefe?

Frank

Guest davidh10
...I also notice that some of the skydiving planes around here descend at what appears to be >1000fpm after the people jump...

That was my first experience of a skydiving aircraft... probably 30 years ago, now. After the skydivers piled out, I was kneeling on the floor next to the pilot taking photos out the side (door was removed from the aircraft for jumping). Despite the placard that said "no banking over 30 degrees when door removed", the pilot apparently decided to beat the skydivers to the ground. One second the sky was visible through the windscreen, then the windscreen went to a green blur and my camera was pinned to the floor by G force. He recovered about 2,000' and I came really close to losing my lunch. The aircraft was losing oil too. They topped up the oil for every flight. I have to say, that put me off skydiving and I never went back.